• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread pt. 2

Hard to read between the lines too much here (probably due to NDA's) but definitely sounds like Neil was hired for credibility and when he realised how much they were willing to tarnish it he wanted out.

IDK about early election.
Especially after the taxes stuff.

Gives their oppositions a easy target considering taxes have always been a Tory main point

There has to be more too that poll that meets the eye, surely.
It will be interesting too see the landscape of those polls in say 20 years time.

I think it's an early election, but 2023. I don't have a problem with that TBH - anywhere in the 4-5 year range is fine, 3 seems a little soon absent a change of leadership.
hoping that people have forgotten about the taxes, and forgotten about the food shortages, and forgotten about the pandemic itself (but remembering the vaccines).

All this has a sniff of an early election to me. The Conservatives know that the later they get it the worse the impact of Brexit will be seen by more of the general public. Also I read that in 2026 there is scheduled to be UK/EU negotiations.

So the imperial weights, turning back migrants, crowns on pints is all to shore up their Brexit voter base for an election in 2022 which will give them power until 2027, so they'll be in charge for the UK/EU negotiations, so at the election then they can still use the narrative it's all the EUs fault etc.
Not a chance we get an election next year.

This is just repealing some of the EU era laws that took choice away from business, but framed in a way that stirs some to be overly patriotic about measurements (although I haven't actually seen this promoted by the gov or party at all tbh, only the media). Crowns on pints is pointless, but then again why not? Nobody really cares...

The Migrants thing has been an issue for ages and tbh, for those who are most incensed by it, they aren't exactly on the party's side at the moment anyway.

I'd also suggest that the second sentence is pretty wide of the mark, I think instead you'll see the EU really struggle to hold itself together in the next half decade, and no matter the position of the UK at the time, it will make much of the public think we probably made the right call if stuff on the continent is falling apart at the time of an election - in that vein, probably better to give it a couple years till an election

IDK about early election.
Especially after the taxes stuff.

Gives their oppositions a easy target considering taxes have always been a Tory main point
I'm certainly in the group of people who is dubious certainly to a 2022 election (2023 is a real possibility).

We have government (like Trump) who always needs to be campaigning rather than governing because they don't actually know how to do the second part. They also haven't got a tactical bone in their body in terms of big picture but are very good at small picture.

The NI increase whilst initially popular but went down like a lead balloon, they also had to deliver some COVID warning this week. This is just a smokescreen for that.

The reshuffle was long mooted for a few weeks and its conference season so have to get the new guys in and on top of their briefs before that.

I think instead you'll see the EU really struggle to hold itself together in the next half decade
Yeah because were making such a great advert for it...

People have been saying this for decades and the only actual threat to EU unity was us and if anything Brexit has solidified the EU rather than help break it apart. I'll be believe it when it actually happens but until another one of the main powers in Spain/France/Germany etc. actually look like going our way it isn't going to happen.

This honestly beggars belief...

Government proposals state that courts will be able to impose SVROs after any offence "in which a knife or an offensive weapon has been involved", regardless of whether it was wielded by that person.
So if you are with a group and someone pulls out a knife in your group and stabs someone, you can be convicted just for being there even if you had no knowledge of the knife or did not participate in anyway meaningful way. This new bill then means you can be stopped regardless just because at one point you were involved.

Earlier this year Martin Hewitt, chair of the National Police Chiefs' Council (NPCC), said police leaders had not requested a change to the law and believed current powers to be sufficient.
He told a parliamentary committee: "The fundamental problem is that there is an insufficient provision of sites for Gypsy Travellers to occupy. That is what then causes the relatively small percentage where they end up in unlawful encampments."

Shall we give more money to provide places for travellers to occupy. No...let's make it easier to criminalise them when they have no where to settle.

"Any indirect difference on treatment on the grounds of race is anticipated to be potentially positive and objectively justified as a proportionate means of achieving our legitimate aim of reducing serious violence and preventing crime."
Honestly this bit just reads as, "yeah so more black commit or are involved in crime based on our statistics, so we're just going to assume they are criminals even if they have served their sentence." Same as with providing spaces for travellers, how about spending time and money on tackling the reasons many young black people end up in crime, such as no career prospects, no community activities to occupy them etc...

Going back to the whole imperial measurements points raised. And for any accountants out there why does the UK still have a Fiscal tax, which ends on a 5 April? Is this just a British peculiarity?

Going back to the whole imperial measurements points raised. And for any accountants out there why does the UK still have a Fiscal tax, which ends on a 5 April? Is this just a British peculiarity?
Google foo says were not the only ones

Unsurprisingly (as with all these things) it is ex-colonies and Japan

Google foo says were not the only ones

Unsurprisingly (as with all these things) it is ex-colonies and Japan
Yeh, I think most countries have a 31 December year end, which is what I am personally in favour of as it would just make things simpler from a work point of view and align us internationally. I recall reading that UK originally had a 25 March year end way back in the 18th century and then they changed to a Gregorian calendar system, and didn't want to lose out on Revenue so extended it to 5 April.

Irish posters on here may recall a change from 5 April to 31 December way back in 2002 when they joined the Euro. So it can be done.

Yeh worse when peeps are WFH and up coming winter. And they still sodding charge for Gas during the summer even when we hardly put on the central heating.

Latest posts