• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread pt. 2

Today might have been a better day to put in letters of no confidence.

Two seats and a chairman down and it's not even 7 a.m yet.

That's a massive result, isn't it?
Like Wakefield is a good one to get back for labour but it's traditionally been labour anyway - that one's a Tory stronghold

Its a ridiculous result even factoring lower turnout they lost something like 10,000 votes. The LD votes are only 215 votes less than what LD+Lab+Green got lost time out and in total they got 2,409 more.

Its a complete thrashing in terms of loss of support they'll be stronger in a GE as I suspect more than 60.2% of the 19.6% who didn't turn up are Tories who wouldn't show up but it'll need to be larger than that to win it back.

That is HUGE!

I've seen it said (but haven't bothered to verify) - if every current tory seat had a -21.7 swing, they'd be left with 72 seats!

And yet, despite losing 2 seats and a chariman, I've seen some Tories claiming that yesterday was a success, because their combined votes were more than the combined votes for either Labour or LibDem - almost like they actually want PR all of a sudden.

That's a massive result, isn't it?
Like Wakefield is a good one to get back for labour but it's traditionally been labour anyway - that one's a Tory stronghold
Proper always Tory place LD and the Liberals kind of knocked on the door in 1997 but never made in roads post that. Even during their mid-2000's heights.

Tiverton was last Liberal in 1923
Honiton was last Liberal in 1866

Wakefield is more Labour showing it can re-win seats it lost rather than new ones also their ex-MP was convicted of pretty horrible crimes, it was always a pretty likely win.

Anyone else reckon Johnson may have preempted the leadership vote or were the Tory rebels just too eager?

Anyone else reckon Johnson may have preempted the leadership vote or were the Tory rebels just too eager?
Its certainly been suggested, most likely too eager or even just a lack of coordination due to it being various faction and no cohesive nature. There are certainly stories some rebels tried to back out to hold it off.

Absolutely insane

Honestly one of the most shocking political rulings I've seen, and we've had a decade of bloody shocking political rulings

Its certainly been suggested, most likely too eager or even just a lack of coordination due to it being various faction and no cohesive nature. There are certainly stories some rebels tried to back out to hold it off.
I think this was the main driver.
I don't think Johnson has the balls to call for allies to submit letters in order to time it more favourably for himself; whilst there not being a central cabal of rebels is a known thing.

Well to all the people who said this wouldn't happen

**** You

After what they did for states "exceeding" their powers on stopping people carrying handguns in public.

Yeh a returning America to the 19th century

Reality is we're seeing the flaws in American democracy. These judges are not chose impartially, they are partisan choices selected to support an agenda. Further being elected for life means the Democrats now risk having many of their laws struck down if taken to the supreme court.

Honestly America is so polarised right now and all that is likely to happen is each side escalate attempts to circumvent the other. I can't see America surviving politically for much longer if it continues down this path.

Honesty Biden could just pack the court but him and the democrats don't have any balls.

Honesty Biden could just pack the court but him and the democrats don't have any balls.
Because if he does that, then in 2 years time, Trump packs the court more, for 4+ years.

Of course, he may anyway, but doesn't really need to if Biden doesn't set a suicidally dangerous precedent.

Because if he does that, then in 2 years time, Trump packs the court more, for 4+ years.

Of course, he may anyway, but doesn't really need to if Biden doesn't set a suicidally dangerous precedent.
The republicans under trump broke already broke unwritten rules of judicial nominations. For instance, they got rid of the blue slip policy that allowed senators to block judicial appointments for their states.

The Supreme Court has been expanded in the past and it was never "suicidal". In fact, just the threat to do it worked quite well in the 1930s.

Latest posts