• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread pt. 2

It's staggering that the Tories are absolutely tanking EVERYTHING and still a sizeable chunk of the country will vote for them. It begs the question I already asked, just how ******* bad must they get before the Tory voters will admit what a pile of **** they are? I asked this year's ago before it even got this bad.

At this stage anyone who says they are voting Tory because of any sort of economic argument is a ******* liar. Let's be honest, remaining Tory voters do so because they think they will stop immigrants, will oppose "wokeness", and will punish fictitious benefit scroungers. That's it. There is absolutely no argument that can be made in favour of the Tories on any front now. They are destroying the country and if you will happily see the country destroyed because you think it will resolve any if the above then there are no 2 ways about it, you're a ****.

It's staggering that the Tories are absolutely tanking EVERYTHING and still a sizeable chunk of the country will vote for them. It begs the question I already asked, just how ******* bad must they get before the Tory voters will admit what a pile of **** they are? I asked this year's ago before it even got this bad.

At this stage anyone who says they are voting Tory because of any sort of economic argument is a ******* liar. Let's be honest, remaining Tory voters do so because they think they will stop immigrants, will oppose "wokeness", and will punish fictitious benefit scroungers. That's it. There is absolutely no argument that can be made in favour of the Tories on any front now. They are destroying the country and if you will happily see the country destroyed because you think it will resolve any if the above then there are no 2 ways about it, you're a ****.
Yeah I think since Brexit, and the new old boy labour voters like miners up north thst they've got, we've seen the Tories move away from the economic arguments (which didn't work well for remain during Brexit) and instead focus on this culture war stuff you see constantly pumped out, in particular, by the right wing press.

So I think you're right, they don't care about the economy as much, or at least pretend to not care. You have to also remember there's a goood chunk of Tory voters that won't be effected at all, or only minimally, and some will even profit out of it so they can afford to say X Y and Z about wokeness and how it repulses them. The others who it will effect negatively have been hoodwinked obviously.

Give it time, though, all it will take is 1 year of a non Tory coalition government trying to sort out the utter mess the Tories left us in until the right wing press, and therefore it's readers, start saying how the Tory party are the only economically responsible party in the country and how the rest are evil commies looking to take your hard earned cash.

I think some perspective is needed they are rarely above 32% is most polls they managed 30.7% in 1997 when they got comprehensively smashed. They've shown zero sign of recovery. A third of this country will vote Tory regardless of its flavour or any economic sense. Most of those people don't pay any actual attention to the news or the papers they just vote the way they do because that's what their parents did. Sure a whole bunch of those are ideoligical but its far more a football mentality than any real engagement.

As far as overall Tory hatred goes in this country this pretty much the best that can be hoped for. The real question is can the other parties capitalise on that?

Corbyn did real well with the base and got Labour votes up but managed to get the Tory base strong at the same time nullifying that. Now we need someone who do that without scaring Tory voters from last time running back.

I can't believe there weren't more warnings during the Tory leadership campaign (other than from Sunak during the debates) about what Truss' plans to cut taxes and increase borrowing would do to the pound and the economy in general. The financial markets have given a massive middle finger to the mini budget.

My fear is that she won't want to do a U turn and will carry on regardless even if interest rates hit 5% which means the Govt borrowing is going to cost the taxpayer an absolute fortune. The pound tanking isn't helping cost of living as the increased cost of imported goods and services will more than offset any tax cuts. At least Sunak's plans made sense in the current climate albeit they weren't as popular with the Tory membership. Truss has clearly put party interest before national interest in her attempts to become leader.

It'll be an utter embarrassment for Truss and Kwarteng when the BoE intervene with emergency interest rate hikes which will probably crash the housing market as a result. We need to GE to get rid of this shower who have done enough damage.

Last edited:

That yougov poll BTW would give Labour according to modelling a 186 seat majority larger than Blair's landslide.

Now I don't believe that will actually happen but still you have to ask how much to Tories have ****** up that in three years they've gone from a 80 seat majority, losing a predicted 234 seats in the process.

I think the real issue in the model is the lack of LD gains and a few more Tory holds.

That yougov poll BTW would give Labour according to modelling a 186 seat majority larger than Blair's landslide.

Now I don't believe that will actually happen but still you have to ask how much to Tories have ****** up that in three years they've gone from a 80 seat majority, losing a predicted 234 seats in the process.

I think the real issue in the model is the lack of LD gains and a few more Tory holds.

TY - I was going to ask how that translates into seats (and if there was enough data for the translation to be valid)

Labour are that high up in the polls but won't stop them in fighting.

Stramer is angling up the centrist pov which in these times is by far the safest route for the GE, but it will rile up the more leftist ones in the party.

Just had a conference as well so get a little boost from that as it was timed nicely with the **** show going on elsewhere. Long time until the election and the Tories will have their conference i'm assuming next year or something. I'll get more excited if those polls are the same this time next year but still a long time for those to change.

Latest posts