• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread pt. 2

I wonder if any Tory supporting Brexiter can listen to all this and give me an actual, sensible reason for why we should persist with the Tories and if their response if just "well it would be worse under Labour", just exactly how with something to support it. You'd think they would have learned unsubstantiated soundbites mean nothing but it seems they never paid attention to "fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me multiple times, well who really bothers actually thinking these days?"

Can't see the Supreme court ruling in favour of the Scottish Govt. I can see the SNP going siege mentality if it goes against them.

I would have voted to remain part of the UK but Brexit is a game changer.

Can't see the Supreme court ruling in favour of the Scottish Govt. I can see the SNP going siege mentality if it goes against them.

I would have voted to remain part of the UK but Brexit is a game changer.
I guess the argument they could present is a major selling point of remain (staying in the EU) is no longer valid and so a decision made prior to that change is also no longer reflective of what the Scots may think. As it's not exactly a small change, it may be significant enough to justify a second referendum. I was opposed to Scottish independence and found a lot of similarities in the approach to the argument used by the independence movement and by the Brexit movement (scapegoating, the unspecified promises of greener pastures, everything being someone elses fault, inconsistency and hypocrisy). I would now support Scottish independence, or at the very least a 2nd referendum on it.

I thought the main debate was whether Scotland could hold a referendum even if it wasn't legally binding. Scotland basically want to put pressure on Downing Street by saying, look here's proof the Scottish people want to be independent. The question is can Scotland even hold this exploratory referendum?

Unsurprising, really - be interesting to see what the SNP do from here

Edit:
Oh, it's right in the article
But she had also warned she would use the next general election as an informal referendum if the court ruled against her plan.
Lame, that - I know most people who vote SNP do so because they want independence, but this just makes the non-indy people either indy-by default or having to vote for people they don't want to

The Scottish Referendum happened before the Brexit Vote.

They were told a vote to leave the UK was a vote to leave the EU
Still true, they just didn't expect the next colossal **** up in British politics.

Wasn't the indyref before that?
Yes, but you were replying to a post about Trump, so I thought you meant the Trump campaign.

What was the Blatant Lie from Indyref1? it was before there was any particular rumblings about actually leaving the EU (as opposed to having a few nutters banging on about it with impotent frustration - which had been going on for 45 years)

ETA: Ah - sorry, I missed the "quickly turned out to be" - as in future events panned out to make it a lie, rather than being a blatant lie at the time.
Which seems harsh to call it a "blatant lie"

Or if you mean that a vote for independence would have resulted in leaving the EU - that's probably still true, it's just that a vote to stay with the UK ended up also resulting in leaving the EU.

Yes, but you were replying to a post about Trump, so I thought you meant the Trump campaign.

What was the Big Lie from Indyref1? it was before there was any particular rumblings about actuallyi leaving the EU (as opposed to having a few nutters banging on about it with impotent frustration - which had been going on for 45 years)
Oh, wrong post! There was a promise to stay in the EU as far as I recall, I've heard some Scots complaining that way since too.

Latest posts