• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread pt. 2

Scottish Independence:

The thing which confuses me is that I see a lot of English politicians and citizens claim that Scotland is a drain on the UK public purse, yet they do not want to see Scotland go independent.

Is there a study or article about this drain into Scotland, or is it just rubbish as the UK public purse benefits greatly from Scotland remaining?

Scottish Independence:

The thing which confuses me is that I see a lot of English politicians and citizens claim that Scotland is a drain on the UK public purse, yet they do not want to see Scotland go independent.

Is there a study or article about this drain into Scotland, or is it just rubbish as the UK public purse benefits greatly from Scotland remaining?
Which English citizens don't want to see Scotland go independent? Most English people I have discussed this with (and I'm English myself) are completely indifferent to it. Politicians will toe a party line but to most English people it's not really our problem

Which English citizens don't want to see Scotland go independent?
Quite a lot of us.
But (as with Northern Ireland) I don't feel it's for me to decide.

Some people actually believe that the Union is a good thing, or that the countries are stronger together; whilst others simply see that Scotland tends not to vote tory

Quite a lot of us.
But (as with Northern Ireland) I don't feel it's for me to decide.

Some people actually believe that the Union is a good thing, or that the countries are stronger together; whilst others simply see that Scotland tends not to vote tory
Don't get me wrong the thought of closed borders and the logistical headaches an independent Scotland will bring are not something I crave for but I do believe there is a bit of a narrative from the pro independence camp that everyone in England is fiercely against Scottish independence when the truth is most English people are pretty indifferent and those that are against it are fine for the Scotland to make the decision.

I know a few English people who are more supportive of Scottish independence because of Brexit and the Tories. The main issue is Brexit given that Tory Govts can be removed at general elections whereas Brexit is for the long haul. If Scotland voted for independence then I'd have no issue with any English or Welsh people relocating to Scotland prior to independence day if they felt strongly enough about Brexit and not being governed by Westminster. I realise this isn't possible for everyone due to family commitments etc. but it would be good for people to have the option.

It would obviously better and fairer if there was a nationwide referendum in England, Scotland, NI and Wales asking people if they want to stay part of the union but that is clearly a non starter politically.

Which English citizens don't want to see Scotland go independent? Most English people I have discussed this with (and I'm English myself) are completely indifferent to it. Politicians will toe a party line but to most English people it's not really our problem

Just quite a few on the sphere of Twitter.

Ones who are especially vocal that Scotland shouldn't have the opportunity to leave are Unionists / Loyalists in Northern Ireland.

Their worry if Scotland goes then Northern Ireland would be next.

Ironic the DUP are not in Stormont because of the Protocol, but that's the same DUP who want some of the Protocol Bill watered down because it'll affect farmers in a negative way.

It'll be a shame if Scotland leaves the Union but it should be their choice. It was never explained during the Brexit vote the effect it would have on the Union especially Scotland and NI.

Those who voted for it in England and Wales were just thinking of immigration, taking back control lies and Turkey joining.

BBC News - Tory MP Andrew Bridgen to fight possible suspension from Commons

Another week, another corrupt, lying, rule breaking Tory.
Wow
What a surprise
Who could ever have suspected Andrew Bridgen of being an entitled twat who things that rules are just for the peasants.

Elsewhere, are the BBC starting to introduce facts into their discussions?

"What is Your religion?" is a tough question. Are you muslim if you don't believe in Allah buy you practice ramadan cause you don't want to disappoint your mother? Are you christian if you go through the formalities of being christian but don't believe in it? I hope one day they start asking people if their cultural system differs from their belief system.

Latest posts