• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I must say I have noticed you get a lot more boorish and bully characters in your own debates (moreso in NI too) and the hosts often have less control than what I'm used to.

The UK politicans aren't cute hoors ye'see.

For Referenda in Ireland every broadcaster of a debate is constitutionally bound to do this because each side of the debate must be granted equal time and it spills over into most general debates too. It's one of my favourite aspects of our Constitution because it stops debates from turning into absolute shite shows, or at least limits the potential damage done by those whose sole tactic is to disrupt others as much as is possibly.

I must say I have noticed you get a lot more boorish and bully characters in your own debates (moreso in NI too) and the hosts often have less control than what I'm used to.

I quite like it as well. Obviously it's a lessor protection but I thought British broadcasting regulations had similar terms about balance? Which is why they're so different to their print media.

Does remind me of this sketch obviously taking it to extremes.

70360720_678418169332994_2214920969623961600_n.jpg

Hopefully, the media having noticed and published (and us spreading) this means that it won't happen; but...

Anyone protesting today - stay safe.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...far-right-boris-johnson-no-deal-a9095161.html

Brexit: Far-right groups threaten to riot at London protests as Boris Johnson warned over language
'It's time to f*** s*** up,' extremists threaten after parliament moves to block no-deal Brexit

Last edited:
I drive past a "We're going to make a ***anic success of it" billboard on my commute to work every day,
Love led by donkeys

Amber Rudd has resigned, Tory cabinet member and DWP leader.

Resigned the whip, not just from government.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49623737
There must be other moderate tories aghast at what's happened to their party. How many will have the courage of their conditions, and how many will keep their head down and support their team?

Amber Rudd has resigned, Tory cabinet member and DWP leader.
Resigned the conservative whip as well.

What we are witnessing is what moderate republicans refused to do in the face Trump. Moderate Tories are putting their careers on the line to stand up against extremism.

Not that I'm fan of any of them except Clarke but I accept we agree on this.

Resigned the whip, not just from government.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49623737
There must be other moderate tories aghast at what's happened to their party. How many will have the courage of their conditions, and how many will keep their head down and support their team?
Rudd's always been considered potential leadership candidate theres a reason May threw her at the election debates. Her departure is huge blow, apparently she didn't even tell Johnson until after the Sunder Times interview.

Could see a few more walkouts by the end of tommorow. That are willing to follow her.

What we are witnessing is what moderate republicans refused to do in the face Trump. Moderate Tories are putting their careers on the line to stand up against extremism.
I'd guess that Banon and Cummings weren't counting on that, given their experience of the republican party
Rudd's always been considered potential leadership candidate theres a reason May threw her at the election debates.
So we're many of the 21.

I still wonder if they'll set up their own rump Conservator Party, they've got enough big names, cabinet ministers and leadership contenders, especially if they win back some of the other ex-tories.
They'd currently lack funds and feet on the ground, party apparatus, but funds are unlikely to be too difficult for those names to come by, there just be as many Tory donors, and indeed, Tory members who are pissed off enough to help, and in these days of GoFundMe...

Hammond, Rudd, Clarke, Soames, Stewart...
The 21 + Rudd + Soubrey, Allen, Boles...
That could very easily peel another 20+ from under BJ's thumb, could immediately become the 3rd biggest party in parliament (for now). There are plenty of other moderate tories who are safeguarding their careers at the moment, but offer them a natural home with other moderate tories, and who knows, they may end up with more MPs than Boris has - he can't really count on much more than the ERG for support.
We may well be seeing a full-on schism of the Conservative party - though I suspect the likes of Clarke and Soames to fade away instead, feeling they've done their time (fair enough)

Last edited:
Remember when BoJo was the first big name to resign under May? Turned out he was positioning himself to be the next leader. Getting a sense of deja vu and I doubt Rudd would have done this if she didn't think BoJo's days were numbered or that more will follow after her or that there would be a mass reinstatement of the one nation Tories.

Last edited:
I'm surprised that nobody (especially the media and the opposition) seems to have picked up on the fact that BoJo has subtly started campaigning for the inevitable GE already. All we see is photo opps with police, farmers, their animals, nurses and schoolkids. There is footage today of him leading a bull on a farm. Clearly trying to get a head start on the competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts