• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent Farage says his cult will contest every seat in the country.

This plays into remain party hands.

Wow you bothered to listen, I'm impressed. Heard LBC advertise their "World Exclusive" and thought the whole thing was pathetic. Might as well have done an interview with his press staff. I imagine that Farage was sickeningly sycophantic.
BBC news replayed it more-or-less in full - no journalistic content or comment, just replayed it.
We do have laws against foreign interference in our elections, don't we? and now that the election date has been set, surely electoral commission rules of engagement apply?
Corbyn sort of started it though but May's avoidence of debates last time out was part of her downfall. Sadly I think Johnson will get away with the avoidence.

He's absolutely terrified of scrutiny.
Visits Adenbrooks hospital for a photo-op - via the backdoor without anyone being told beforehand. Refuses to see any actual humans. Refuses to answer questions. Gets roundly booed by patients and staff on his way out, having been discovered.
Media thinks that him visiting a hospital and wearing a white coat is newsworthy - but that his abject cowdarise and refusal to meet people isn't. There was a real news story there - the news companies managed to miss it.
https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/cambridge-news/student-doctor-boris-johnson-cowardly-17180585

We do have laws against foreign interference in our elections, don't we? and now that the election date has been set, surely electoral commission rules of engagement apply?
I think full electioneering rules don't apply until parliament is dissolved. I could be very wrong on that front though.

Would not happen. Americans dont do those sort of interviews. There is some bloke Ben something or other who's a darling of the Alt right and makes a living baiting liberal school kids. Took him about 3 minutes of the Neil treatment and he had a proper paddy and refused to carry on. Americans were shocked as he is considered an excellent debater over there
"A proper Paddy"... Really?

Happy to throw around casual xenophobia so... Well done!
Honestly and I hate to say this I never even considered it having Irish connotations. It's so much part of the lexicon I just hear paddy and think strop in this context.

Honestly and I hate to say this I never even considered it having Irish connotations. It's so much part of the lexicon I just hear paddy and think strop in this context.
It's fairly horrible and never used here. Its origin is trivialising and making fun of Irish people campaigning against and complaining about William of Orange, Forced exports during the famine and the like. You can't remove it from that.

It's fairly horrible and never used here. Its origin is trivialising and making fun of Irish people campaigning against and complaining about William of Orange, Forced exports during the famine and the like. You can't remove it from that.
You can if in 35 years of life nobody has ever bought up it's historical context. It's not right but actually the harsh reality of countries being ***** to other coubtries.

You can if in 35 years of life nobody has ever bought up it's historical context. It's not right but actually the harsh reality of countries being ***** to other coubtries.
Wait, I thought you were explaining your ignorance somewhat apologetically. Are you just justifying the use of the phrase? Will you continue to use it? I can accept ignorance and unintentional use, that's fine, but once you're informed of the connotations surely it's time to stop?

Your welcome

Always had you down as a bigot. Now I have the proof!

Wait, I thought you were explaining your ignorance somewhat apologetically. Are you just justifying the use of the phrase? Will you continue to use it? I can accept ignorance and unintentional use, that's fine, but once you're informed of the connotations surely it's time to stop?

Have you got any real problems in your life? You seem to be labouring under the impression that I have to justify anything to you. I dont. Your not really offended by anything you are just pearl clutching.

Have you got any real problems in your life? You seem to be labouring under the impression that I have to justify anything to you. I dont. Your not really offended by anything you are just pearl clutching.
Are you serious? You're on an international rugby forum of which I am a member using a derogatory phrase with Irish connotations, of course I'm going to make you justify it.
Firstly, your defending a derogatory phrase even though your mistake has been pointed out to you, bad start. Secondly, if you hadn't noticed relationships between our countries isn't at an all time high, your prime minister campaigned as hard as he could to put a border up in my country that was going to put my family's and friends' lives in danger and you don't think I can take genuine exception to a phrase that insults the exact type of behaviour that stopped that, not great either.

You are in the wrong here, accept it, apologise and move on. It's that easy.

Are you serious? You're on an international rugby forum of which I am a member using a derogatory phrase with Irish connotations, of course I'm going to make you justify it.
Firstly, your defending a derogatory phrase even though your mistake has been pointed out to you, bad start. Secondly, if you hadn't noticed relationships between our countries isn't at an all time high, your prime minister campaigned as hard as he could to put a border up in my country that was going to put my family's and friends' lives in danger and you don't think I can take genuine exception to a phrase that insults the exact type of behaviour that stopped that, not great either.

You are in the wrong here, accept it, apologise and move on. It's that easy.
If you are that traumatised I would suggest the samaritans

Nah all I was saying is when something comes from ignorance it's far better to explain and inform than jump down their throats. I got in trouble for using coloured instead of person of colour a few years back with my friends (which was actually my brain mixing the two up and forgetting which was correct).

To answer your question, yes I will attempt to stop using it but I can't promise I always will because it's so ingrained.

Another more obvious example is eeny, meeny, miney, Moe. Which until Mr. Clarkson got into trouble for it I hadn't even thought it had the N word in it. It was just a way of selecting things.

Point being these things can be very devoid of their original context due to the passage of time and have zero connotations behind them by the user. And its usually better to inform and explain than rant at them when they were acting innocently.

You may now resume yelling at one another.

This has been most enlightening. I'm a mere 46 years old and have on occasion used the "don't have a Paddy" expression. I wouldn't consider myself a particularly ignorant man, but up until today I had not the slightest inkling that it had derogatory connotations. I'll look to strike it from my lexicon.

Back to saying "stop being a stroppy little ****" then............

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts