• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Labour are running against Caroline Lucas, aren't they?
I mean she'll win but, as you say, terrible optics.

People really need to band together to give the Tories the curb stomping they so deserve, but they're too busy playing party politics and thinking they're the big I Am.
They're the only party to announce an opposing candidate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brighton_Pavilion_(UK_Parliament_constituency)

Here's the Unite to Remain list, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unite_to_Remain

12 Labour seats being attacked, by various unity candidates....just hope they are Brexit people (makes sense to oust Brexity Labour from their pov)

Was looking on there for my Constituency, but then after wikipediaing 2017s results and seeing the Tories got 66% of the votes I guess it's not worth the effort :(

Was looking on there for my Constituency, but then after wikipediaing 2017s results and seeing the Tories got 66% of the votes I guess it's not worth the effort :(
Yeah you'll get whoever the parties can find off the street.

66% is more extreme, somewhere like Tewkesbury is where an alliance candidate might actually stand a chance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tewkesbury_(UK_Parliament_constituency)

Robertson is an ERG nuthead, really needs removing and one unity candidate may actually stand a chance if you look at historical vote spread. Its only because we know our votes don't have chance it makes turnout against him low.

Lib Dem candidate in Canterbury stands down to avoid splitting the anti-tory vote.
Lib Dem HQ decide to run a different candidate there anyway.

Would love to see an approval rating graph of Swinson since she took charge,
Starting to see the tides on social media turn on her (obviously social media generally deals in extremes, but seeing a lot more lib dem accounts calling her out now than before).

I haven't been overly impressed with Swinson either. She comes over as a bit whiny. Was Ed Davey any better - probably not? It's a shame they didn't have a contender with real X factor after VC stood down because they had an opportunity to make headway at this election.

I'm no fan of the SNP but would have to concede the Sturgeon is probably the most formidable party leader of the top 4. She would wipe the floor with the others in a debate and always articulates herself really well. I kinda wish Ruth Davidson was Labour or LD leader.

Last edited:
Labour will never work with the lib or Greens.
Sturgeon isn't even that formidable a leader though. Her arguments always have massive flaws, but it's just the others are remarkably poor.

Let's be real none of the left parties have good leaders and I doubt it matters who is even Tory leader ATM.
It's all rather depressing, no inspiration.
No Sanders, No AOC type figures at all in any parties.

Sanders is just as bad as Corbyn exactly the same issue both sides of the pond.

Labour will never work with the lib or Greens.
Sturgeon isn't even that formidable a leader though. Her arguments always have massive flaws, but it's just the others are remarkably poor.

Let's be real none of the left parties have good leaders and I doubt it matters who is even Tory leader ATM.
It's all rather depressing, no inspiration.
No Sanders, No AOC type figures at all in any parties.

Sanders is way overrated. Corbyn is just a very poor man's version of him with a more questionable past with his stance on terrorists and anti semitism.

Boris can't turn around without being called a **** in the North atm,
The amount of clips of him being torn to shreds by the general public - you love to see it

Meanwhile the press is only reporting on one nutcase calling Corbyn a terrorist-sympathiser, whereas when you look at the hecklers twitter he's a rampant homophobe, islamophobe, anti-semmite etc.etc.

Meanwhile the press is only reporting on one nutcase calling Corbyn a terrorist-sympathiser, whereas when you look at the hecklers twitter he's a rampant homophobe, islamophobe, anti-semmite etc.etc.

When half of the press are from Eton, what else do you expect but for them to close ranks with one of their own?

Yeh I saw the footage on the hong kong subreddit.
Insane stuff.

although point blank at the abdomen isn't always instant death is it?

Depends on the internal damage, stomach acid can leak into the body and mess things up then you have internal bleeding that can be had to find and stop. Also it might hit a lower rib or spine and bounce around a little. its not recommended.

So one of trump's staff who oversaw the immigration policy wisely regarded as racist turns out to be a supporter of white supremacy and pushing the white genocide line, to the surprise of absolutely everyone.

Another trump staffer turns out to have lied about everything to get their position and somehow wasn't vetted. She even faked a picture of herself on a time magazine cover...

This presidency will go down as one of the most embarrassing in American history.

Hey guys, I look like a statesman now!

george-w-bush-today-180329-tease-01_7e80825817129f6a5165ea9df3637aff.jpg

So many headlines and links on web browser home pages with 'Corbyn is our version Trump' and 'Immigration to rise under Corbyn'. I don't like Corbyn but it's not hard to see that Bojo and his far right cronies have got complete control over the media and social media. If this is how they win elections and claim to have a mandate from the people then they can shove it. The UK has shameful and broken brand of democracy.

77268702_429590880944541_356769829333499904_n.jpg

Whatever the politics of a Government, its power should derive from Parliament, the power for Parliament derives from the people. Ministers are not selected by the Parliament, but by the Prime Minister, and whilst the PM should have people with whom they can work, ministers cannot restrict the powers of the electorate as they as they are representing the people of the country.

Thinking in a completely conspiratorial mindset, is Jo Swinson a Conservative stooge who has been planted in the LibDem party to ensure a Tory majority?

Looking at the voting record of Ms Swinson it could be described as worse than Boris Johnson who is consider to be on the hard right (be that correct or not). She voted for austerity continually and could be considered on the hard right due to her record.

https://www-independent-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.independent.co.uk/voices/tim-farron-resigns-jo-swinson-new-leader-liberal-democrats-voting-record-wrong-choice-a7793056.html?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&amp&usqp=mq331AQCKAE=#aoh=15737335570800&referrer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s&ampshare=https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/tim-farron-resigns-jo-swinson-new-leader-liberal-democrats-voting-record-wrong-choice-a7793056.html

Screenshot_20191114-121625.jpg

With Ms Swinson confirming that she would rather go for a general election than work with Corbyn if there is a hung parliament.

With the LibDem view that they will cancel Brexit it is obviously going to split the Remain vote, just look at Canterbury (where I lived for 10 years). The majority for Labour is less than 200 and the LibDems are virtually non-existent in the city but ever vote counts.

Add to her claim that she is running to be Prime Minister demonstrates a complete lack of rationality.

Last edited:
Thinking in a completely conspiratorial mindset, is Jo Swinson a Conservative stooge who has been planted in the LibDem party to ensure a Tory majority?

Looking at the voting record of Ms Swinson it could be described as worse than Boris Johnson who is consider to be on the hard right (be that correct or not). She voted for austerity continually and could be considered on the hard right due to her record.

With Ms Swinson confirming that she would rather go for a general election than work with Corbyn if there is a hung parliament.

With the LibDem view that they will cancel Brexit it is obviously going to split the Remain vote, just look at Canterbury (where I lived for 10 years). The majority for Labour is less than 200 and the LibDems are virtually non-existent in the city but ever vote counts.
The Canterbury stuff if complicated by the complete decimation of the Labour vote at the European elections.

Other than that please provide evidence other than 'voted with government whilst government minister' and 'doesn't like Corbyn', despite continual asking nobody I know has done so.

Plus the Coalition government actually cut less than both Labour and the Tories promised in the 2010 election. I don't know if can be considered 'hard right' we've seen what a real hard right government looks like the past 4 years.

Also Swinson 'is a right wing' stooge but has done deal and stood down candidates with other center-left parties. Corbyn has stood down zero candidates and also refuses talks.

I mean I want them to work together and its not helpful but its not hard to see double standards are being applied all over the place.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/towns-fund-boosts-tory-held-marginals-p8xqlkd7f
The Conservatives have been accused of short-changing the poorest communities in favour of comparatively affluent towns to boost their election prospects.

The government promised that the multibillion-pound towns fund would "unleash the full economic potential of more than 100 places and level up communities throughout the country".

However, 32 towns on the list fall outside the 300 worst-off in England according to rankings from the Office for National Statistics.

Analysis by The Times reveals the extent to which money has been directed towards wealthier areas that are marginal Conservative-held or target seats.

Among the least deprived locations given priority are Stocksbridge in South Yorkshire, where Angela Smith, who won the seat for Labour in 2017, is standing aside after 14 years, and Loughborough, where the...

Article continues behind paywall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts