• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A question from a newbie

Max04

Academy Player
Country Flag
Italy
I just moved to Edinburgh and there is a club near me I wanted to join but I have got a question before going.

I am 174cm/5ft9 68kg/149lbs and I often go to the gym, am I good enough for rugby?

I practiced many sports (swimming, football, basketball, kickbox, taekwondo) so I am not unfit and I do weightlifting in the gym (just not eating enough probably). I am worried I could be of no use in a club. Has anybody experiences to share or advises?
I have been watching some rugby matches and I fell in love with it so anything you say it will sure help.
Thanks in advance and have a good day! :)

Of course you're "good enough for rugby," it's a game for all sizes. I assume the reason you think that you may not be is due to your size? Your experience with taekwondo plus a good bit of tackle practice should mean you won't struggle in defence.

As long as you put the work into training and develop a good passing game you seem like you'd be an ideal 9.

I'd echo Toby's comments. I'm 172cm and weigh 75kg so you're not massively different in size to me.

I've just hung up my boots on account of age and injuries but I played as an openside flanker or hooker. Obviously I didn't play at a particularly high level, but I never found competing with bigger guys a massive problem.

Based upon size/shape, I probably should have been a scrum half but I played hooker in minis and only got as far back as the back row as time went on - I've never been skilful enough for the backs anyway!

Get yourself to a club and get involved. You will probably fanny about on the wing for a bit until you get used to it but playing is only half to fun so don't worry too much about weight/size etc

You're not a lot different in size to Aaron Smithe (Height 1.71 m, Weight 83 kg) and remember, he will be under a nutrition and training regime that has put on a few kgs in muscle tone.

I agree with Toby and BPM, you're probably best suited to scrumhalf.

You're a similar size to me, and I play scrumhalf and fly-half. These are the positions that probs best suit your physique, but it doesn't really matter... it depends on your attributes.
By the sounds of it you're quite fit and would be a good defender, so if you could get a bit of mongrel in your game maybe you'd be best suited to the loose forwards.
Considering you're new to the game there's a good chance you'll be put out on the wing so that you can get used to the game a bit... generally the inside backs need to be the most skillful in the side so they'll be guys who have been playing rugby for a while.
But regardless, you definitely won't be of 'no use', everyone is always welcome in a rugby club! Get involved, I'm sure you'll love it, no matter where you end up.

Latest posts