• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A question from a newbie

lupacexi

Academy Player
I just moved to Edinburgh and there is a club near me I wanted to join but I have got a question before going.

I am 174cm/5ft9 68kg/149lbs and I often go to the gym, am I good enough for rugby?

I practiced many sports (swimming, football, basketball, kickbox, taekwondo) so I am not unfit and I do weightlifting in the gym (just not eating enough probably). I am worried I could be of no use in a club. Has anybody experiences to share or advises?
I have been watching some rugby matches and I fell in love with it so anything you say it will sure help.
Thanks in advance and have a good day! :)

just do it. your obviously able bodied.
make sure you learn how to tackle first and foremost
chances are you'll be in the backs but if you have a good coach i'd recommend learning what forwards do. its the essential part of the game

Good thing about rugby there is a place for all body types and weights. I play at 6 at 82kg but guy who plays 7 is alot smaller yet a better tackler than me because of technique. At 68kg you are likely to be a back as said above. Have you any experience in rugby? What are your skills, are you quick, strong runner.

Where do you see yourself? Every position along the backline takes a slightly different skillset. What are yours?

Latest posts