A Tribute to Brian O'Driscoll

big ginger 8

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leinster
I was going to do this tomorrow but things change. I know a lot of people are tired of the whole retirement thing but **** it.

There's not a lot to say about O'Driscoll that hasn't been said already, so I'm just going to repeat a lot of it. There's no point giving a history lesson about the boy who didn't start for Blackrock's (boo) Junior Cup team and while he started for the Senior team and played for Ireland at underage level still wasn't the standout player but it seems I just did give that lesson.

Still he was talented enough that he was involved with Ireland in 1999 before even playing for Leinster at senior level, although that was kind of Gatland's mo of just picking kids. Anywho everyone knows when he first really caught the eye in an Ireland shirt, that little 6N match vs the French. Scoring a hattrick, poleaxing opposition players, that sort of thing. From there it kind of exploded as everyone knows. Lions tours, World Cups, 6 Nations, Heineken Cups and "Whatever" Leagues he did some pretty nice things in them all but success in the form of trophies was pretty late coming with "only" 5 trophies by the time he was 30. Although they were fairly "undesirable" ones with two Celtic Leagues and three Triple Crowns along with a host of near misses.

However while his teams weren't always the most successful. He was always the shining light (except maybe 2008, that was fairly forgettable overall) and while that may have waned in the last season or so he's still pulled some magic out of the bag. It's often been annoying for Irish fans how condescending (or at least that's how they appear) SH players and coaches were along with every now and then those of our NH brethern who should really know better. In an era of cliches in interviews the one that always trotteted out by the "big three" went along the line of "Brian O'Driscoll and Friends" like some sort of superhero cartoon. It went along the lines of saying something about the plucky Irish who could upset you on their day and was then followed by a "gee whiz that guy BO'D eh?". While that may have been somewhat insulting to the rest of the team it was possibly the highest compliment available to O'Driscoll, that these guys had to mention him every time really meant something.

There's a lot of arguments where BO'D will invariably show up. Is he the best player ever? The best in the pro era? The best centre? etc. Obviously every single one of these is down to the opinion of the individual so for me at least he is the single greatest player I have ever had the pleasure to witness. He wasn't the fastest, the strongest, the most agile, the most skillful, the best tackler or the best at the breakdown etc. but he was so far up the list on bascially every skill or attribute that a player outside the tight five needs (except kicking) that for me he was the best. His early change of pace was scary and his ability to spot a pass or offload was breathtaking. He had an incredible nose for the line at his peak, especially for a centre (yes playing all those games helped but when was the last time he scored an international try?) and he could score all types of tries. Famously dangerous close to the line you usually rather him than a forward, he had a penchant for intercepts and cut sublime lines. That's ingoring the ridiculous pick ups and volleys as well.

It wasn't all ridiculously good attacking either he was for a period the best defensive player in the toughest position to defend on the pitch. He was at one stage probably the biggest pound for pound hitter in the world and famously good at the breakdown especially at his zenith in 2009. His communication for anyone who was lucky enough to see him live was also incredible. He was always talking getting feedback making sure everyone knew what was going on. This despite having a near telepathic connection with his most common partner in D'arcy.

Through all this he took he took some incredible blows often showing his committment and stubborness in not getting back up and playing on after many legal and illegal hits. How the man is not a cripple already I do not know. His healing process has also led me to believe that he is in fact Woverine. Most meorable for me was the recovery for the 2012 H Cup final, 5 weeks ahead of schedule I believe not traingin until the Thursday and coming incredibly close to being MotM. This graphic shows some of the more memorable damage: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ru...ls-catalogue-12-injuries-head-torn-ankle.html

Despite the concussions, O'Driscoll's defining attributes imo have come from his brain. He was able to get by at the top level for so long despite the body failing because he was always a second ahead of everyone else on the pitch. Spotting gaps before they opened and pluggin leaks before they sprung. Then there was his iron will and ambition tied with self belief. He would push himself through everything to acheive his goals. Ambition is often considered wrong and evil but boy is it important. Irish teams have always had the problem where they are so much happier as the underdogs. They won't set themselves big goals because of a lack of ambition and belief. BO'D was a huge catalyst in changin this in Irish rugby. He always wanted to win and it was his mental fortitude which most affected Irish rugby.

If you've read this much, fair play.

Thanks for all the memories, Brian.

Final Honour Roll:

Leinster[edit]

Ireland[edit]

Individual awards[edit]

[video=youtube_share;9JLASzADsaI]http://youtu.be/9JLASzADsaI[/video]

Leinster's tribute video:
http://youtu.be/rSgHc7hlA7Y

Last edited:
I think that on the Lions tour to NZ, he was deliberately targetted by those two *********** summed up his brilliance. For kiwi's to know that they had to take him out to stand a chance of winning, sums up his quality.
Of course, I witnessed his 'final game', but missed his 'final final game', and I'm sure his 'final final final game' will be very emotional. (not to mention his final final final final game) :)

He's retiring? But he's only had his final final game! What about the final final absolutely final game along with the final 6 Nations and then the next Lions tour to finally finish #Justice4BOD ?

I don't think you can overrate the influence that O'Driscoll (and a few others) have had on the Irish game. The entire landscape of Irish rugby has changed since the early 2000's and this is almost entirely down to the relative successes the national team has enjoyed since about 2003, then followed up by the European successes of Munster and Leinster. Rugby has gone from being a fringe sport to being very much the centre of public attention. Just look at how Leinster's attendances have grown; we've gone from averaging less than 3,000 for Celtic League games at Donnybrooke to pushing 15,000, with a few sell outs at the Aviva each year too.

O'Driscoll's ranking within the global game will always be a subject for debate. He was unlucky not to win world player of the year on a couple of occasions, and you'd be hard pressed to find a sane person who wouldn't acknowledge him as one of the very best of the pro era. In terms of his ability to adapt his game and his longevity he's probably the best centre of the professional age. But all that aside, he's been the most important Irish player we've ever had.

It's gonna be a teary one tonight.

Good luck to the lad. Always played a bloody good shift against us, so today is a bit different for me ;)

i was lucky to meet him when we played Leinster a couple of yrs back in the H Cup, he was injured and came as the water boy, not sure you would get many pro players doing that for their team!!!!!!!!! excellent player and excellent man helped Ireland to where they are today hope he wins his final game!!!!! that is if this is the final game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Disastrous day for Irish Rugby. Not like NZ who can just plug a hole with the latest quality player on the conveyor belt. Big gaping hole of creativity in midfield.

O'Driscoll and Wilkinson going on the same weekend is a massive loss for the game. Two class acts.

Disastrous day for Irish Rugby. Not like NZ who can just plug a hole with the latest quality player on the conveyor belt. Big gaping hole of creativity in midfield.

O'Driscoll and Wilkinson going on the same weekend is a massive loss for the game. Two class acts.

I wouldn't call it a disaster, Simon. He is well past his best now.

As for the future, Robbie Henshaw and Olding are big talents. I think we have not seen the best of Luke Marshall yet either.

Oh I know he's past his best a good five years...even then he's still been by far the best centre available.

A creative player is the hardest to replace, and at the O'Driscoll level nigh on impossible. England are having a similar problem with Wilkinson. Like BOD, Wilkinson is past his best, yet hes still on a different level to Farrell as he displayed again last week.

Ok sod it. Link won't work for this, but copy and paste the damn thing :p
AAARGH! There's no way to link this damn article!

Last edited:

Latest posts