fastashell

hi guys!

i do force train 2 times a weak with this exercises:

squats
deadlift
belly
military press
dips

this plan is made for rugby to get a good overall body strength.
i focus on squat and deadlift. but my question is: do i need the benchpress? and if yes for what? in rugby training we do lot of push ups so i dont think benchpress is needed. yeah pushups are more force stamina but it works for the same muscles like in bencpress.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fastashell @ Jan 23 2010, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
hi guys!

i do force train 2 times a weak with this exercises:

squats
deadlift
belly
military press
dips

this plan is made for rugby to get a good overall body strength.
i focus on squat and deadlift. but my question is: do i need the benchpress? and if yes for what? in rugby training we do lot of push ups so i dont think benchpress is needed. yeah pushups are more force stamina but it works for the same muscles like in bencpress.[/b]
To build chest strength, I'd recommend dumbell incline press. It is different from pushups as you can develop strength beyond bodyweight capacity which is what is needed to fend off defenders and in rucking and scrummaging. Trust me. The pro-ruggers aren't just doing pushups.

If you're doing alot of pushups (i.e. low weight, high reps) in training, I'd suggest including the benchpress in the gym. Hopefully, you'll have the ability to do benchpress, incline benchpress and shoulder press with higher weight and lower reps (10-12 reps). If you go the dumbell route which also trains some of the smaller muscles machines can't, make sure you have someone to spot, as things can get dangerous if you start struggling.

I personally rotate my workouts in the gym. So some weeks I'll do high weight, low reps. Another week, I'll do medium wight and medium reps, and on another week I'll do low weight, high reps. I'm not sure if this is the right way to do things, but I find it helps (it at least keeps things a bit more interesting).

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Jan 25 2010, 11:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I personally rotate my workouts in the gym. So some weeks I'll do high weight, low reps. Another week, I'll do medium wight and medium reps, and on another week I'll do low weight, high reps. I'm not sure if this is the right way to do things, but I find it helps (it at least keeps things a bit more interesting).[/b]
It does,
I can't remember the science behind it, but people always say it's best to "keep your body on its toes", as when it's used to doing the same thing week in week out it doesn't progress as much

dumbell incline press seems to be a good exercise.

current i have dips in my plan. and i always feel my ***s after this exercise. isnt dips a alternative for benchpress? the problem is that my shoulder sometimes hurts after the press.. thats why im looking for another exercise. and bodyweight exercises are always good in sports like rugby.
and yes i know that push ups arent enough^^

I don't do dips on my chest days, i do them with shoulder/tricep exercises, so i don't obliterate my chest on one day :p

Matt Giteau can bench press 170kg, and here's an article showing the weights the top rugby league players lift: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl...r-1225830259014

As you can see many of these players train their chests disproportionately to their leg and back muscles (as conventionally your deadlift and squat are far bigger than your bench press). This tells you that compared to many other exercises the bench press is essential ;) Pushups don't give you the power you need - I can't do more than 30 pushups in a row yet can bench 90kg and I can wrap players up with my arms pretty well, however my friend who boxes and can do hundreds of pushups is a pretty ineffective tackler and thats not from lack of technique or commitment.

Do bench presses, 3 sets of 5 reps, and you should be one rep away from failure on your last rep on your last set. Add 2.5kg on to your starting weight each week minimum, 5kg if you can manage it (which you should be able to do if your starting).

If you want all round body strength you might want to do Powercleans on one of your workout days and deadlifts on the other, rather than deadlifting twice a week. Push-presses might be better than military presses as they use more muscles in your body and are more explosive, and so more akin to what you are going to be doing on the rugby pitch :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (n0c0ntr0la @ Feb 20 2010, 08:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Matt Giteau can bench press 170kg, and here's an article showing the weights the top rugby league players lift: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl...r-1225830259014

As you can see many of these players train their chests disproportionately to their leg and back muscles (as conventionally your deadlift and squat are far bigger than your bench press). This tells you that compared to many other exercises the bench press is essential ;) Pushups don't give you the power you need - I can't do more than 30 pushups in a row yet can bench 90kg and I can wrap players up with my arms pretty well, however my friend who boxes and can do hundreds of pushups is a pretty ineffective tackler and thats not from lack of technique or commitment.

Do bench presses, 3 sets of 5 reps, and you should be one rep away from failure on your last rep on your last set. Add 2.5kg on to your starting weight each week minimum, 5kg if you can manage it (which you should be able to do if your starting).

If you want all round body strength you might want to do Powercleans on one of your workout days and deadlifts on the other, rather than deadlifting twice a week. Push-presses might be better than military presses as they use more muscles in your body and are more explosive, and so more akin to what you are going to be doing on the rugby pitch :)[/b]
That's a cool article. It's always interesting to see what the strength levels are of the pros. You can tell that League is definitely ahead in the fitness and strength area when it comes to the two codes.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (O'Rothlain @ Feb 20 2010, 06:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (n0c0ntr0la @ Feb 20 2010, 08:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you want all round body strength you might want to do Powercleans on one of your workout days and deadlifts on the other, rather than deadlifting twice a week. Push-presses might be better than military presses as they use more muscles in your body and are more explosive, and so more akin to what you are going to be doing on the rugby pitch :)[/b]
That's a cool article. It's always interesting to see what the strength levels are of the pros. You can tell that League is definitely ahead in the fitness and strength area when it comes to the two codes.
[/b][/quote]

Ah but is that not the beauty of Rugby Union? The game with a position for every type of body - From the weak and scrwany ,ala Rog, to the pudgy front row forward. We need not any of these super, jack of all trade, master of none athletes.

If you want strength, do high rep 3x10. If you want power and bulk, do 4x4-6.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (O'Rothlain @ Feb 21 2010, 04:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (n0c0ntr0la @ Feb 20 2010, 08:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

I imagine rugby players bench and squat more. Sheridan did 215kg bench. League players are fitter.

Have you modified your routine? We get a lot of questions, but don't get loads of feedback on here. Let us know!