• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

#ABsToSamoa- Campbell LIVE

RWC2011Fan

Academy Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Ireland
This is something Campbell LIVE has been doing over the past week to chew up air-time. Been a bit tiresome, in all honesty. Started up after the announcement of the All Blacks vs. USA test in Chicago. Here's a few videos:
http://www.3news.co.nz/Should-the-All-Blacks-tour-Samoa/tabid/817/articleID/345367/Default.aspx
http://www.3news.co.nz/Manu-Samoas-...lacks/tabid/817/articleID/345513/Default.aspx
http://www.3news.co.nz/All-Black-fans-support-ABsToSamoa/tabid/817/articleID/345511/Default.aspx
http://www.3news.co.nz/Rugby-pop-quiz-for-Chicago-residents/tabid/817/articleID/345366/Default.aspx

Anyone in NZ been following this?

Thoughts from members outside of NZ?

I have thoughts, but...I'm tired. Maybe tomorrow. :p

I'm a Samoan New Zealander. Born and raised in New Zealand but currently reside in Sydney, Australia. I think it's a lot of bull **** to be honest. While I think it's a travesty that the AB's have never been to Samoa, I don't agree with the reasoning on Campbell Live. I don't think the NZRU owe anything to the island nations particularly Samoa. They seem to be attacking the issue from the angle that so many players of Samoan heritage have played for the AB's therefore the NZRU need to give back. This is what I don't agree with. Just about every one of those players with Samoan heritage were either born or raised in NZ and learned their entire trade there. They were developed by the various rugby clubs, schools, unions in NZ and have come through the age grades. The only exception that I can think of is Sosene Anesi who was born and raised in Samoa and came to New Zealand after high school. Why does the NZRU owe it to Samoa to play a game there? Did they play an active role in developing and nurturing the talent of Samoan All Blacks? No. They did not! What's worse, look at the recent Manu Samoa teams. They're stockpiled with talent that have been developed in New Zealand and Australia. This whole AB's to Samoa movement... While I think it's a nice gesture by Campbell Live, I believe the argument has no backbone

i might be making this up but i thought i had heard a couple of years ago the Island Unions generally didn't want the games...they would rather we offer to play them in Auckland and get a share of the larger gate take. excusing my ignorance but what kind of stadium size would we be talking in the islands?

if the issue is shoring up rugby in the islands i think making the june test series include one team from the island in auckland and split the profit would be the most productive

i might be making this up but i thought i had heard a couple of years ago the Island Unions generally didn't want the games...they would rather we offer to play them in Auckland and get a share of the larger gate take. excusing my ignorance but what kind of stadium size would we be talking in the islands?

if the issue is shoring up rugby in the islands i think making the june test series include one team from the island in auckland and split the profit would be the most productive

Nope, you're not making it up. I posted about this in the "Test Window Madness" thread...

[TEXTAREA]It is a fact that the PI unions make much more money from a test v the All Blacks in New Zealand than in the Pacific Islands. This is the case even in stadia with comparable capacities, and the reason for this is well understood by anyone who lives here. Quite simply, PI's that live in New Zealand are financially MUCH better off than those still living in the homelands. Many of them send some of their NZ wages back to their families in the islands.

If you compare a test in, say, Apia Park (capacity 15,000) with one staged at, say, Mount Smart Stadium (30,000), the level of ticket pricing in Samoa to get the same return would be so high that not many people could afford to go.[/TEXTAREA]

i was meaning i heard it years ago outside of TRF but good to know it is out there ;)

Nope, you're not making it up. I posted about this in the "Test Window Madness" thread...

[TEXTAREA]It is a fact that the PI unions make much more money from a test v the All Blacks in New Zealand than in the Pacific Islands. This is the case even in stadia with comparable capacities, and the reason for this is well understood by anyone who lives here. Quite simply, PI's that live in New Zealand are financially MUCH better off than those still living in the homelands. Many of them send some of their NZ wages back to their families in the islands.

If you compare a test in, say, Apia Park (capacity 15,000) with one staged at, say, Mount Smart Stadium (30,000), the level of ticket pricing in Samoa to get the same return would be so high that not many people could afford to go.[/TEXTAREA]

No, the NZRU are dirty poaching... err... money grabbing, self interested b@stards, Cooky. ;)

I think that was about teams like Fiji, Samoa & Tonga playing each other in Auckland. Like the Fiji vs Samoa world cup game in Auckland which sold out.

I think NZ should play in the islands at some point just because we're such close neighbours and both nations have given a lot to each other. I mean we haven't played in Fiji since the 60's I think, its quite ridiculous since we're such close neighbours, we have a close relationship in rugby. Fiji had their 100th centenary year last year, it would have been a great time to finally play over there again

I mean I'm not mad about it or anything, if they don't play there I'm not getting angry over it. I just think it would be good for south pacific rugby

Last edited:
I think the All Blacks should play in the islands. Tonga, Samoa, Fiji should all get the oppertunity.

If they "lose out" with money, then so be it.

The ABS play everywhere except the places where the people that help make them, originated from, thats sad.

We dont have the flash big stadiums, we dont have a big population but we got talent!

Last edited:
Ughh, firstly Eliota Fuimaono-Sapolu is a joke. He is an idiot. How the ***** did he get a degree in law?

Secondly, I don't think we owe any country anything, we're not obligated to play where it won't be mutually beneficial. Attacking it from the angle "how many All Blacks have PI heritage" is ridiculous; how many athletes with PI heritage have been paid extremely well based off New Zealand rugby? Maybe we will altruistically travel to the Islands knowing we will lose money, but we may as well do it when we feel that money can be lost - and frankly when we do visit I hope it doesn't reinforce a misguided sense of obligation, based off nothing but proximity.

he exagered a little bit (he reacts in an emotional way) but basically he has right. Plus i see Italy, Scotland (recently) plays in the islands (fiji), france plays in tonga in 1999, so Europeans countries plays in the PI and Pacific nations touring in europe, but not new zealand? they plays in argentina, usa, japan but not in samoa? Strange, maybe i missed the point, but it just a nonsense to me.

Wales do their bit with a match at Twickenham every other year
-Olyy

(Saved you the time, mate ;))

he exagered a little bit (he reacts in an emotional way) but basically he has right. Plus i see Italy, Scotland (recently) plays in the islands (fiji), france plays in tonga in 1999, so Europeans countries plays in the PI and Pacific nations touring in europe, but not new zealand? they plays in argentina, usa, japan but not in samoa? Strange, maybe i missed the point, but it just a nonsense to me.

I agree with you. Its not good at all. We shouldnt say the All Blacks but the NZRFU. Im sure most of the All Blacks would love the oppertunity to go to the Islands considering a lot of them are Islanders and those who arent love to holiday there (e.g. Guildford in Rarotonga).

NZRFU need to get off their high horse. The All Blacks back in the day when they were great (amateur days) were never really about the money despite their reasons for playing the apartied Springboks which is quite the contrary that caused all that controversy and protest.

The All Blacks dont owe the Islands anything but you imagine ALL of the Island greats for the ABs in the past and present, you imagine all of them playing for the Wallabies, the All Blacks would be average IMO. The Wallabies wouldve at least played a game in the Islands to show appreciation. Jonah, Bunce, Jones in a Wallabies jumper..its goodnight All Blacks!

I agree with you. Its not good at all. We shouldnt say the All Blacks but the NZRFU. Im sure most of the All Blacks would love the oppertunity to go to the Islands considering a lot of them are Islanders and those who arent love to holiday there (e.g. Guildford in Rarotonga).

NZRFU need to get off their high horse. The All Blacks back in the day when they were great (amateur days) were never really about the money despite their reasons for playing the apartied Springboks which is quite the contrary that caused all that controversy and protest.

The All Blacks dont owe the Islands anything but you imagine ALL of the Island greats for the ABs in the past and present, you imagine all of them playing for the Wallabies, the All Blacks would be average IMO. The Wallabies wouldve at least played a game in the Islands to show appreciation. Jonah, Bunce, Jones in a Wallabies jumper..its goodnight All Blacks!

I don't understand this argument. If Lionel Messi decided to play football for New Zealand then we would have a pretty good football team. Why would Jones, Bunce or Lomu play for the Wallabies? All three were born in Auckland and chose to play for the country where they were brought up in. I don't consider them "Island greats" but rather great New Zealand rugby players. What do the Wallabies do for the Pacific Islands?

If Scotland or France choose to play in the Pacific Islands then it is not out of the goodness of their heart but because it benefits themselves.

I don't understand this argument. If Lionel Messi decided to play football for New Zealand then we would have a pretty good football team. Why would Jones, Bunce or Lomu play for the Wallabies? All three were born in Auckland and chose to play for the country where they were brought up in. I don't consider them "Island greats" but rather great New Zealand rugby players. What do the Wallabies do for the Pacific Islands?

If Scotland or France choose to play in the Pacific Islands then it is not out of the goodness of their heart but because it benefits themselves.

Just use your brain for this one and think. I said IMAGINE Micheal Jones, Lomu all islanders parents dont come to NZ but go to Aus right.. you with me?..yeah. What Im tryin to get at is, its like theres no appreciation of where we originated from. You work for your boss, you get paid well, you go the extra mile for years and years but never once does your boss ask about you or thank you.

Austrailia played in the Islands not so long ago, I think it was their B team but at least they're over. I can tell you now that the talk in the Islands circle is to head over to Aus, thats where its at. I love NZ but look at my people, where we are, South Auckland. Islanders in Aus have got it sussed, theres been a few racial issues in the past but I hear that were appreciated over there for the most part.

Bottom line you got to show appreciation. No Islanders in the ABs means the ABs are not as good. So if you know what makes your team so good, you should nuture that. How can AB fans ever ever forget that?

I just think Australia wouldve showed appreciation. Who knows maybe all the Islanders will go over Aus and then its game on All Blacks!

Its in the media now because it is important as current affairs are. The NZRFU need to be very careful because you lose us Islanders and that could be the biggest loss to New Zealand ever!

Last edited:
Just use your brain for this one and think. I said IMAGINE Micheal Jones, Lomu all islanders parents dont come to NZ but go to Aus right.. you with me?..yeah. What Im tryin to get at is, its like theres no appreciation of where we originated from. You work for your boss, you get paid well, you go the extra mile for years and years but never once does your boss ask about you or thank you.

Austrailia played in the Islands not so long ago, I think it was their B team but at least they're over. I can tell you now that the talk in the Islands circle is to head over to Aus, thats where its at. I love NZ but look at my people, where we are, South Auckland. Islanders in Aus have got it sussed, theres been a few racial issues in the past but I hear that were appreciated over there for the most part.

Bottom line you got to show appreciation. No Islanders in the ABs means the ABs are not as good. So if you know what makes your team so good, you should nuture that. How can AB fans ever ever forget that?

I just think Australia wouldve showed appreciation. Who knows maybe all the Islanders will go over Aus and then its game on All Blacks!

Its in the media now because it is important as current affairs are. The NZRFU need to be very careful because you lose us Islanders and that could be the biggest loss to New Zealand ever!
Sorry but that analogy is pointless. So what if they were born somewhere, or their family originated from a different country. Probably a solid three quarters and up have only played rugby in New Zealand. So yeah, for these players, their boss is thanking them. My boss wouldn't go to my parents and say "well done, you made him exist".

Sorry but that analogy is pointless. So what if they were born somewhere, or their family originated from a different country. Probably a solid three quarters and up have only played rugby in New Zealand. So yeah, for these players, their boss is thanking them. My boss wouldn't go to my parents and say "well done, you made him exist".

Its not like how you're puttin it. You're not an Islander nor Kiwi so I dont expect you to understand why we're wanting the ABs to play Rugby in our country. I think we have to beg.

Thats my final word on this matter.

I don't think there are any "islanders" in the All Blacks currently. I only see them as New Zealanders. Yes, there are players of Samoan descent but there are also players of European descent. I guess I just don't like your implication that the NZRU needs to do something for a group of the population to get them to play for the All Blacks. If the players consider themselves New Zealanders then they should play for us; if they consider themselves something else then they should play for someone else.

I find this whole thing strange. It's like that Tongan prop Daniel Tupou who reportedly said he wanted to play for Australia because they have lots of Tongans. You know what other country has lots of Tongans? It starts with the letter T and rhymes with Longa. If these players are so passionate about their ancestral homelands that they would boycott the All Blacks because we don't play there, why don't they play for their ancestral homelands in the first place?

New Zealand Maori have played in the islands all the time.

Michael Jones and Jonah Lomu have been shown plenty of appreciation. They are both legends in this country.

If Pacific Islanders wish to go live in Australia because the ARU is nicer to Pacific Islands than the NZRU (it isn't) then that is all power to them. In New Zealand we cannot nor would we wish to force anyone to come here who doesn't want to. Most Pacific Islanders who go to Australia go there for the high wage and better climate. Those Pacific Islanders who do not prefer to stay in New Zealand because of established community links and a more generous welfare system.

Latest posts