Adios Jaguares

Al Bangor

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
United States
Club or Nation
United States
Most of us knew it was coming and now it's done, the Jaguares are out of Super Rugby. I hope they'll join SLAR which is one of their options. Overall the Jaguares did well in Super Rugby and I wish them all the best in the future.

Last edited:
i'd welcome them back, NZ struggling to get together a new comp

i'd welcome them back, NZ struggling to get together a new comp

Do you know if Super Rugby will keep that name or are they planning a total re-brand for 2021. With 10 teams they don't seem so "super" anymore to me. Unfortunately.

Last edited:
it was still "super" the last time we had 10 teams....

no idea, i assume SAANZAR owns the name so it might come down to if SAANZAR is going to completely break up of if it will stay for the RC

it was still "super" the last time we had 10 teams....

no idea, i assume SAANZAR owns the name so it might come down to if SAANZAR is going to completely break up of if it will stay for the RC

I didn't know they owned the name. Thanks.

Last edited:
i only assume that as the overseeing organisation

Argentina should IMO look to include 2 teams in an 'Americas' competition. Super Rugby always had the drawback of crazy travel and time zone differences and the Jaguares had it rougher than even the SA sides.

i only assume that as the overseeing organisation
I was actually referring to the product. It won't be "super" without the South African teams and the Jaguares, at least not to me. You're a New Zealander so you're already locked in with your home country teams, especially the Highlanders. I'm an outsider and will miss the competition from the other teams. The South African teams won some Super Rugby championships and the Jaguares made it to the championship game. Oh well, thanks for letting me vent. Life goes on...

Argentina should IMO look to include 2 teams in an 'Americas' competition. Super Rugby always had the drawback of crazy travel and time zone differences and the Jaguares had it rougher than even the SA sides.
There's been talk of the Jaguares joining SLAR. If they do then Argentina will have two teams in that league. And the winner of SLAR is scheduled to play the winner of MLR (USA) in a Champions of the America's game to be held in Mexico. This years game was cancelled due to Covid-19 of course. But I look forward to it in 2021.

I guess Argentina is back to having all of its good players playing in Europe. Honestly the Jaguares experiment didn't really seem to bring about better results for the Pumas.

I think one team makes it hard to improve, the original three countries had enough teams to have mini comps effectively and so there was internal development...the jags and sunwolves would pretty much only become a "national team lite" or a tram or mercenaries

I think when new team come in they should adopt a champions league approach of the winner of the local comp

didn't really seem to bring about better results for the Pumas
Significantly worse, if anything
They went from a genuinely good side to getting whipped by the B/C sides NH teams would send there on tour

I do not understand this at all. If I was running Super Rugby it is Japan I would want to re-engage with (timezones plus money).

It is not mentioned here but I could only see the Jaguares return as viable if there was also a second SA team to permit mini-tours (e.g. best of Chile, Uruguay, Paraguay and Brazil). Despite improvements in SA they are miles away from supporting say 4x franchises at SR Pacific level.

Interesting to see how this may play out given the rebrand of SLAR to Super Rugby Americas. Maybe SR Pacific are eyeing the American Raptors.

Random thoughts. I really can make no sense of this.

Latest posts