• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Advice on positioning

T

toxicfiend

Hi i just started playing again this season its been about 4-5 years and i used to play center but they stuck me on the wing i dont feel i have the pace to play there since i know there are faster guys on the team. I feel like i'm never actualy in the game unless i comes to my side but they tell me to look for work but that would leave my wing open? Should i just stay on my half of the field i see the other wings in the 1st XV move to the other side but i feel i'll get caught outta space. Should i be playing another position since i'm 6'2" 190 i love rucking mauls i dont want to be a lock i dont think im big enough and i'm not as slow as the ones i see running around the pitch

Hi i just started playing again this season its been about 4-5 years and i used to play center but they stuck me on the wing i dont feel i have the pace to play there since i know there are faster guys on the team. I feel like i'm never actualy in the game unless i comes to my side but they tell me to look for work but that would leave my wing open? Should i just stay on my half of the field i see the other wings in the 1st XV move to the other side but i feel i'll get caught outta space. Should i be playing another position since i'm 6'2" 190 i love rucking mauls i dont want to be a lock i dont think im big enough and i'm not as slow as the ones i see running around the pitch [/b]
My thoughts are your right position may be alluding your coaches as much as it is you. You're close to 200lbs and you have height to you. My initial thought would be either lock (depedning on the other locks size) or a flanker. Actually the more I think about it, Flanker might be ideal for you...you get to ruck, peel off of the scrum and have a lot of fun. Talk to your coach about it. You are sorta inbetween a lot of positions with your size and pace. That's a good thing, which means you can prove that you can play at all sorts of positions. The main thing is filling in the gap at your current club, trusting your coaches decision and then working hard on developing your skill at that position. Good luck.

ya i would love to try flank and i got the pace for openside but not sure about the size yet our season just ended so im hitting the gym full time now. We certainly do have alot of wings we got three divisions so im sure i could just get in there. Thanks for the insight

Latest posts