• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Advice (Tips and Tricks) for a Second Rower

zbollman

Academy Player
Country Flag
United States
Hello all,

I started playing rugby about 6 weeks ago and have been on a crash course for learning -- as has majority of our team. The uni here wanted to start a rugby team so one of the guys from New Zealand stepped up to coach and get it rolling. Our backs are pretty solid as they are all from England, France, and Australia. However, our entire pack is American and relatively new (some have a year or two of experience). I am 6' and 195lbs. I know I am small for a lock, but the coach insists I play it (I am the strongest off all the forwards as far as legs and full body movements go). I am loving it and really enjoying the position. We had our first game two weeks ago and played phenomenal to win 32-0. However, the team we are playing on Thursday has our forwards outplayed, while our backs are tremendously better than theirs. The team is ranked #6 for D2 collegiate rugby in the US. I am curious if anyone here has some information from experience for playing at the top of my game on Thursday and to become a better player in general.

Any help is appreciated,

Zach

Well, first of all get a bloody scrum cap, please! You'r ears will go all ugly and they will hurt.You dont want anyone sucking water out of your ear :D

As far as playings concerned you as a second row must be strong and mobile.Ive been playing second row for a while now basically be there in very other ruck, so thats every 2nd ruck if your not mobile youve got to improve on that if your not already.Stable position in Rucks and Malls but be careful dont let your head get under your shoulders when youre protecting the ball in the ruck i've seen what can go wrong.

The key is just to be strong, and mobile. Be there every 2nd ruck, if you tackle, get up and get back into the line for support and the next encounter.

Hope this will help you in some way :)

Well it sounds like I'm pretty solid then. I'm in every ruck I need to be in. Occasionally I'm in several in a row depending how fast the play is moving because of my mobility. We tape our ears here, which keeps them from getting messed up.

Thank you for the help!

Zach

Yeah well you shouldn't have any problems then :) Just remember not to over commit your players to a ruck but your coach prob tells you that so if your not needed, line! :D

Latest posts