• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

AFL Final

I saw the team to travel to Ireland. It isn't great but it's okay. It's probably our 2nd or 3rd strongest team.

Does anyone actually know the proper rules? I don't. Mal Michael is playing goal keeper.

2 teams of 15, 1 point for a behind, 3 for an over and 6 for a goal. Same mark rule applies, players can pick the ball up directly off the ground unlike in football where the foot is under the ball. 2 referees.

The game is being played today then? It doesn't seem to be televised here. Let me know of the result.

P.S. Is a goal in the net?

AFL now theres a game with big hits and no poofters that wear pads much better than NFL no matter how silly the refs look when signalling points

Thumping win for the Irish today in Dublin, winning by 77-41, the Aussies didn't really offer much, some of their kicking was laughable although the same could be said for some of our players. Good to see the Irish with some drive and passion back after the last 2 series defeats.

Wally I think the match may have been on Channel 9 one of their commentators was doing the match with one of the RTÉ lads. Although it could be painful viewing next week if today is anything to go by.

Full story - http://www.rte.ie/sport/2004/1017/internationalrules.html

Originally posted by An Tarbh@Oct 18 2004, 05:05 AM
Thumping win for the Irish today in Dublin, winning by 77-41, the Aussies didn't really offer much, some of their kicking was laughable although the same could be said for some of our players. Good to see the Irish with some drive and passion back after the last 2 series defeats.

Wally I think the match may have been on Channel 9 one of their commentators was doing the match with one of the RTÉ lads. Although it could be painful viewing next week    if today is anything to go by.

Full story - http://www.rte.ie/sport/2004/1017/internationalrules.html
Saw some of the highlights on the news. Was Australia wearing the blue? I'll check if it is being broadcasted next time. They were making fun of it on Fox, was it really that bad? I'm not surprised, it's no where near our full strength team. Do they take it seriously in Ireland? Decent crowd I noticed.

Crowd was just under 47000 which is up on the first test 2 years ago by a few thousand. The novelty act is wearing off after 6 years but it's still popular. I'd say the squad took it more seriously cause they've lost the last 2 series.

The Aussies may not have bee at full strength, where was Barry Hall btw he was awesome last year, but either were the Irish, plenty of the top county footballers who've had success in the past were unavailable which makes the manner of the victory all the more surprising.

It's only a 2 test series and they win the series by an aggregate score. I wish they'd make it a 3 test series with none of this aggregate crap. Would make winning any test much more sweeter.

Meh, I'm not too phased. It's more of an exhibition thing isn't it? I hope the players stop treating it as a free holiday and play some good footy next game.

Certainly looks like the guinness was more popular with the players than training. Should be a better match next week.

I saw the second half on Fox Footy. The way we handled the ball was embarrassing! I think we'll play much better in the second match. Purely because we'll be more more rested, more experienced, more aware, more physical and perhaps most importantly of all more used to that damn round ball!

All depends on whether the few days in Mayo will be spent drinking or training. The arrogance of some of the Irish commentators seems to be getting the better of themselves, with some of them claiming, sure we wouldn't be half as shambolic with the oval ball as they are with the round ball.
<

That's a very bold statement. Australia usually is the one that wins these things arn't they? What are the rules of Gaelic football and which of these do they use in IR?

The most obvious of gaelic football rules don't seem to be used in IR, you can pick the ball directly off the ground, you can take more than more steps without releasing the ball, shoulder challenges don't seem to be a part of the game. My simple impression of the game is that it's AR with a round ball and a net. Although you don't seem to get the quality of marks that you get in the AFL, pity.

As for Australia usually winning, not the case, they may have won the last 2 series but after 6 series, it's 3-3 and barring an absolute miracle on Sunday should be 4-3 to us.

Does Galeic footy have the net aswell as the other posts and do you hand ball it? The ground is rectangle. I think the advantage is in your favour.

Latest posts