• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

AFL Live 2011

best_fullback

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Bristol
Have just been browsing the internet looking at Aussie Rules and came across a new next-gen AFL game that was actually released yesterday. More investigation on YouTube and the game actually looks pretty good:

(Much prefer the camera angle in the 2nd video)

Here is the Wikipedia of it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFL_Live

It is developed by Big Ant and published by Tru Blu who I believe were the two responsible for Rugby League Live.

Does anyone own it? If so what do you think?

I found this forum: http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=341 which seems to be dedicated for the game and opinion looks quite polarised, some saying it is great and others saying it is horrible!

Also, I got quite into my AFL when over in Melbourne so I wouldn't mind giving this game a go so does anyone know if it being released in the UK? I looked on the usual places (Play.com, Amazon etc) but couldn't find anything...

Last edited by a moderator:
I e-mailed the company that would be the European publisher a few days ago, and they said they would be bringing it over here, once they got a date. How long was did it take Rugby League Live to get here?

I e-mailed the company that would be the European publisher a few days ago, and they said they would be bringing it over here, once they got a date. How long was did it take Rugby League Live to get here?

From the RLL wiki it says that it came out in NZ on August 27th, AUZ on September 5th and then UK an France November 5th. Presumably if its all the same people then we can expect it in a few months I would guess. By that time it will be Rugby Challenge and Rugby World Cup 2011 release period though, so this may have to take the back-burner!

Found this review Duckdee. Looks good! Can't wait for it to hit the stores over here now.

And this written review too. http://ps3.mmgn.com/Reviews/AFL-Live-Review. Sounds like it has some errors and glitches but they may well be sorted before an EU release. Like the sound of the steep learning curve so this game could keep me busy on my PS3! Just the sort of news I hope to be hearing in reviews of Rugby World Cup 2011 and Rugby Challenge!

Last edited by a moderator:
This game actually looks really good. Hopefully they will sell it over here.

One of the (few) benefits of business travel... I am now in possession of this game. Won't be home until later tonight, but am happy to answer any questions you may have. My knowledge of AFL is fairly limited, but I'll do my best...

Im all for any game that slightly resembles rugby (of any form). May give this a try if it aint too expensive. No idea about anything of AFL in general tho, is playing a video game version a good way of learning the game?? (or should i say is AFL live a good representation of the code)

One of the (few) benefits of business travel... I am now in possession of this game. Won't be home until later tonight, but am happy to answer any questions you may have. My knowledge of AFL is fairly limited, but I'll do my best...

Brilliant nice one mate. I was thinking if it is going to take ages to come over into the EU then it might be worth buying over there and shipping over.

Does anyone know what the deal is with playing PS3 games bought abroad (i.e. outside of the EU)? Will it not work? Or will it lock my PS3 into a different territory?

Um on the ps3 front. I've imported Backbreaker and All Pro Football from the US and i've had no problems.

Brilliant nice one mate. I was thinking if it is going to take ages to come over into the EU then it might be worth buying over there and shipping over.

Does anyone know what the deal is with playing PS3 games bought abroad (i.e. outside of the EU)? Will it not work? Or will it lock my PS3 into a different territory?

PS3 isn't region-specific so no issues at all... looking forward to giving it a go!

No idea about anything of AFL in general tho, is playing a video game version a good way of learning the game?? (or should i say is AFL live a good representation of the code)

I imagine it'd play quite like a football game.

---

I do have one question: Can the rucks (the bit that looks like a basketball tip-off) be competed without using the right stick? I know I'll lose accuracy, but I want to know if I can still jump and hit the ball.

I imagine it'd play quite like a football game.

---

I do have one question: Can the rucks (the bit that looks like a basketball tip-off) be competed without using the right stick? I know I'll lose accuracy, but I want to know if I can still jump and hit the ball.

It doesn't seem like it - you have the option to try to tip it by just nudging the right stick in a direction, or punch it by holding down L2 and doing the same... doesn't seem to be a general 'jump for it' option.

Initial impressions, I'm loving this - sure I'm being tactically inept, but managing to string together some nice moves and score a few points. I initially made the mistake of trying to mark everything and conceded a lot of ground on defence, but now I've got the hang of spoiling when I'm playing catchup and only trying to mark when I'm in a good position.

It's very fluid, very responsive controls and very enjoyable for a non-AFL expert... as a 'game' it seems great, but couldn't comment on realism / authenticity.

Is the team / engine behind this anything to do with Rugby Challenge? I'd say it bodes well if so...

It doesn't seem like it - you have the option to try to tip it by just nudging the right stick in a direction, or punch it by holding down L2 and doing the same... doesn't seem to be a general 'jump for it' option.
Bah. :(

Is the team / engine behind this anything to do with Rugby Challenge? I'd say it bodes well if so...
Nope. AFL = Big Ant, RC = Sidhe.

Latest posts