• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

After watching the final...I think we need a change

Yeah my two cents ha!

If I had my way I would only make kicking out on the full from behind the try line.

I would perhaps even bring in a weird "first run" rule. This means that the FIRST TACKLE when a team has possession is uncontested. Kicks can be run back without fear of being turned over (diminishing the kicking game somewhat), teams would actually HAVE a real a go at set pieces without fear of trying anything expansive, etc. So all that happens is that the tackle is made and the halfback can pick up the ball without the ruck situation stressing them out lol!

I would perhaps even bring in a weird "first run" rule. This means that the FIRST TACKLE when a team has possession is uncontested. Kicks can be run back without fear of being turned over (diminishing the kicking game somewhat), teams would actually HAVE a real a go at set pieces without fear of trying anything expansive, etc. So all that happens is that the tackle is made and the halfback can pick up the ball without the ruck situation stressing them out lol!
[/b]
Sounds like the beginning of a slippery slope to league to me...

It ain't broke, don't try to fix it.

But for the Aussies getting cocky & complacent in one game and the ref missing a forward pass and NZ panicking 'cause they didn't prepare a back-up in another plan things would have gone to form.

Just 'cause there was a couple of shocks and the anitpodeans got egg on their faces doesn't mean the game needs changing.

Strip away all the excuses & all this clamour is basically a pout 'cause England got to the final. There is only one rule the likes of Australia & NZ should be concentrating on : "Fail to prepare, prepare to fail".

Leave our game alone.

Talk of rule changes have been going on for a long time down here, with nothing to do with the World Cup...

Maybe they should make a rule where if you make a quater final and higher you have to score a try. Otherwise your coach gets decapitated after the game.

Talk of rule changes have been going on for a long time down here, with nothing to do with the World Cup... [/b]

Well it's all nonsense so just you lot pipe down.

My 2 cents:

Penalty score changes would be pointless. 2 points would encourage infringing.

Drop goals simply aren't an issue except in peoples heads. In the final Wilko missed 3. In the Semi England and France got 1 from 8 between them.

Moving defences 5m behind the ruck? sounds like league. 5m from scrums would be ok. maybe. Would give more space to attack, but also would result in a kick with no pressure.

Not kicking out on the full from your 22? this could work out well. I don't think it will result in teams running more from their 22, but more likely up and under and box kicks. Still kicking, but keeps ball in play and attacking side will most likely run back.

pulling down mauls? don't like this. The maul has long been an integral part of the game. don't devalue it. It can also create space by sucking in defending forwards.

the overall problem is that Union has less space to run into than League, combined with what is easy. Getting an organised defence is easier to coach than attacking rugby.

But the best 2 sides in the world also play some of the most attacking rugby, with the exception of the final. Is there really such a problem? It's not England's fault SA decided that the way to beat them was kick and apply pressure defensively and at the lineout.

Penalty score changes would be pointless. 2 points would encourage infringing. [/b]
Damn good point.

Personally I think the whole policing of the current rules would be a good start. Its kinda frustrating when you hear "hands off blue! hands off!" at every bleedin ruck. If they have their hands on, they should be penalised. Stop the infringing at the breakdown and we might see some quick ball, quick ball is key to breaking down defenses.

We could always say you can only score drop goals in the last 10 minutes, if this is all about excitement.

<div class='quotemain'> Penalty score changes would be pointless. 2 points would encourage infringing. [/b]
Damn good point.

Personally I think the whole policing of the current rules would be a good start. Its kinda frustrating when you hear "hands off blue! hands off!" at every bleedin ruck. If they have their hands on, they should be penalised. Stop the infringing at the breakdown and we might see some quick ball, quick ball is key to breaking down defenses.

[/b][/quote]

there is a fine line between the attacker holding on and the defenders having hands in the ruck. The ref shouting lets the player know. That said there still is times when you feel a warning isn't neccessary.

<div class='quotemain'>
This is the most nonsensical thread ever.
[/b]

It depends where you live really and If you like living upside down like us then yeah :cheers:
[/b][/quote]

Point taken. All past statements now seen in the same light as this nonsensical post. Little credibility gained, sadly everything lost.

<div class='quotemain'>
This is the most nonsensical thread ever.
[/b]

It depends where you live really and If you like living upside down like us then yeah :cheers:
[/b][/quote]

We have just had the best World cup to date in my eyes and I dont think there is too much wrong. Players are fitter, have better defence training and make bigger hits than ever. This is true. But think how many WC Finals have been tight affairs. All apart from 1987.
The two things that need to change are refs need to be allowed to give out yellow cards for slowing the ball down and players need to be able to kick the f*** out of anyone brave enough to lie on the ball.
Even with this you will still find that big games will be tighter than less pressurised games because that is how humans react underpressure.

The two things that need to change are refs need to be allowed to give out yellow cards for slowing the ball down and players need to be able to kick the f*** out of anyone brave enough to lie on the ball.[/b]

Aleluya... I would love seeing guys kicking Chabal's face while trying to get a ball form a ruck.... YEAH BABY! BLOOD!!!

As I said before, rugby union laws are ALMOST perfect... Tight defences and heavy pressure turns out in great tackles and tight games... Tight games are OK...
What are you expecting folks? 10 tries in a WC Final?

Guys, the World Cup final is just a recent and highly publicised example. People do not want to change the game because the final was a tight defensive game, it's just the best example to use as a case-in-point for the trends of the current state of the game.

As has been said many times, the ELV's were well under way before the WC even began. The main aim of the laws are to:

A. Increase the amount of time of actual game time in a game.
B. Remove the strong bearing that interpretations of the law has on results.
C. (an extention of B.) Make it easier for refs to make the right decision.
D. Create more space for attack (to counteract the bigger and faster players in the modern day game)

Surely we can agree that all of these effects would have been nice in the final, but most importantly would be nice in rugby generally?

The laws are not there soley to ensure more tries are scored. This may be a consequence of some of the proposed changes, but is not what the law changes have set out to accomplish.

Regardless of the final, all of these are important factors.

As I've said, and Stormmaster has seconded, we need to discourage players from giving away defensive penalties. Reducing the amount of points for a penalty goal is only going to encourage infringment.

We have to agree that rucking is not PC enough to be acceptable these days in pro sport. Fair enough that alot of players deserve a few sprigg marks across their back at times! But Mum's not gunna let little Johnny watch or play a game where you can stand on another man with the desired intent of inflicting pain on him.

Rucking is gone, and is not coming back. So, we need another way of discouraging offending? Obviously sending a man off is the easiest way. But a 10minute send-off is a massive disadvantage and would place even more pressure on refs to make big calls that will effect the outcome of a game. I suggested the shortened 'powerplay' penalty idea as a healthy middle ground, but even this might not sort out the problem, and would add more compexity to an already complex area of a complex game.

The contentious issue of when a rucks a ruck, when a tackles a tackle and everything in between is one of the main problems that the ELV's have tried to combat. Currently the ref decides when a player is allowed their hands on the ball, and often they are forced to make a call that could have gone either way. How many times have we all heard "Ruck, ruck. Hands off 7, hands off 7. (7 comes away with the ball) That's ok, he was the tackler" or things of this nature?!

By allowing hands in the ruck at all times we should no longer have this issue. However, nothing in the new rules has changed to discourage players from lying on the ball or playing the ball once they're off their feet.

In the ARC this year, refs appeared to be very vigilant with their cards. I don't remember a single game where a couple of players weren't sent off at some stage, and some games had up aroound 5 yellow cards. Also, if players persisted with professionally slowing the ball, they were given a red.

It is a more strict refereeing mentality that will do most to increase the amount of attacking rugby we see in a game.

I would like most people to catch a bit more game time under these new laws so they can see them in action before rubbishing them as being a bad idea. So if you have the chance, keep an eye out for some Super14 games next year to see what the future of rugby might be like.

Nobody wants to lose a world cup final. I don´t know too much teams that play a final like they've been playin' all the championship. In addition, finals use to be more defensive than any other match.

What do you call 15 rugby players seating areound the television watching the rugby world cup final ???

The All Blacks