• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Air New Zealand Cup Final

N

nam97

Well this is it, Canterbury vs. Wellington. Should be a cracker with these two teams going head-to-head, both of which no doubt playing the best Rugby throughout the competition.

Here's how the teams line up:

Wellington: 1 â€" Neemia Tialata, 2 â€" Dane Coles, 3 â€" John Schwalger, 4 â€" Ross Filipo, 5 â€" Jeremy Thrush, 6 â€" Chris Masoe, 7 â€" Serge Lilo, 8 â€" Rodney So'oialo, 9 â€" Alby Mathewson, 10 â€" Piri Weepu (captain), 11 â€" Hosea Gear, 12 â€" Tamati Ellison, 13 â€" Conrad Smith, 14 â€" Ma'a Nonu, 15 â€" Cory Jane.

Reserves: 16 â€" Ged Robinson, 17 â€" Jacob Ellison, 18 â€" Tim Fairbrother, 19 â€" Thomas Waldrom, 20 â€" Api Naikatini, 21 â€" Daniel Kirkpatrick, 22 â€" Tane Tu'ipulotu.

Canterbury: 1 â€" Wyatt Crockett, 2 â€" Corey Flynn, 3 â€" Greg Somerville, 4 â€" Michael Paterson, 5 â€" Isaac Ross, 6 â€" Hayden Hopgood, 7 â€" Richie McCaw, 8 â€" Kieran Read (captain), 9 â€" Tyson Keats, 10 â€" Colin Slade, 11 â€" Sean Maitland, 12 â€" Tim Bateman, 13 â€" Casey Laulala, 14 â€" Paul Williams, 15 â€" Scott Hamilton.

Reserves: 16 â€" Steve Fualau, 17 â€" Owen Franks, 18 â€" Nasi Manu, 19 â€" George Whitelock, 20 â€" Steve Alfeld, 21 â€" Hamish Gard, 22 â€" Adam Whitelock.

A lot of uncapped international players are no doubt vying for a call up to the All Blacks which is announced tomorrow morning. These include Jeremy Thrush, Hosea Gear and Cory Jane from Wellington and Corey Flynn (looking for a recall), Kieran Read, Tim Bateman and Paul Williams from Canterbury.

Piri Weepu and Colin Slade have both been great at no. 10 in the last few weeks so it should be a great contest in the tactical area. The Wellington outside backs have real pace and may have the edge over Canterbury so look for them to spread it wide early on.

Anyway, Wellington with the home advantage should probably take this out in a tight one, I'm guessing 23 - 18 to the Lions.

Any thoughts?

Canterbury to win it, Wellington wont find a way thru the defence as often as Canterbury puts points on the board. Oh say a tight one, 28-25

It's absolutely ******* down in Wellington making it a hard game to watch. 7 - 3 with Canterbury in the lead after half time.

Wellington, bridesmaids once again.. 6-7 final score. I think Jane and Mathewson made strong claims for All Blacks jerseys at least.

Interesting to see Weepu playing at flyhalf

Well done Canterbury, wet weather must of made it low scoring. Who scored the try?

Pity Wellington didn't win.
But that's sport I reckon, let's see how they preform in the S14

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (QLD @ Oct 25 2008, 09:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Interesting to see Weepu playing at flyhalf

Well done Canterbury, wet weather must of made it low scoring. Who scored the try?[/b]

Hayden Hopgood I think it was. In the first half, there was only one Weepu penalty after that.

Well that game blew.... hard. At least we won though so yay!!!!!!!!!!!!

If Bateman, Crockett and Read aren't All Blacks by tomorrow morning then Graham Henry can suck a fat one.

Was anyone actually suprised that Canterbury won? Let's face it, Wellington really weren't that good. They managed to lose (by a fair bit) so an inspired Otago team, and barely managed to put away some other teams. The winning team tonight was possibly the weakest NPC winner in a long time. Both last years Auckland and 06's Waikato would've probably tore both finalists to shreds.

Oh, and on the topic of Hosea Gear, as soon as the going got tough and Wellington came across a good defense Gear was practically useless. Modern wingers need to get into the nitty gritty more nowdays, that's why Gear won't be in the squad tommorow. Sure, he scored a bunch of tries, but in reality, look who he was up against. Wingers aren't going to be picked out of the ANZ Cup, it's too easy to look good because of the meagre defenses.

Exclusive news once again from me:

Wellington All Blacks:

H.Gear
N.Tialata
M.Nonu
C.Jane
R.So'oialo
R.Filipo
P.Weepu
C.Smith

Pretty sure thats all.

I'm gutted but congratulations to Canterbury they were just too good and there defence was rock solid and the Lions couldn't find a way through. Bit of a shocker for final really 6-7 a very low scoring game probably one of the lowest ever but yet again the conditions dictated a final between Wellington and Canterbury.

I knew Wellyz was gonna have a bad game as soon as I saw the last minute change that Ma'a Nonu was starting 2nd 5 and Tamati Ellison was out on the wing. Nonu sucks and hasn't been the same since Umaga left he leaves huge gaps and tackles thin air. I wish they wouldn't pick Nonu for the ABs squad I'd rather have that Tim Bateman because he might not be made of much but he sure makes up for it in sheer determination and he's far more skilled than Nonu.

Can't wait to see the squad should be good to see who they pick after that game. My bids from Wellyz would be Corey Jane, Hosea Gear and possibly Thomas Waldrom. Anyone know what time they anounce the team?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HarryPeters @ Oct 25 2008, 11:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Wellington All Blacks:

H.Gear
N.Tialata
M.Nonu
C.Jane
R.So'oialo
R.Filipo
P.Weepu
C.Smith

Pretty sure thats all.[/b]

That's a hot lead, where'd you pull this from? If it's legit I'm stoked Ross Filipo made it instead of Thrush, he played very well tonight.

Cheers HarryPeteres you always come through with the goods I'm rapt for Corey Jane and Hosea Gear dunno bout Nonu thou his defence is just way to shocking hope he injures himself during training and they decide to bring someone else in.

Yep pretty happy that Floss made got a recall he deserves it and has been playing good all season.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wairarapa_cullen @ Oct 25 2008, 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HarryPeters @ Oct 25 2008, 11:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wellington All Blacks:

H.Gear
N.Tialata
M.Nonu
C.Jane
R.So'oialo
R.Filipo
P.Weepu
C.Smith

That's a hot lead, where'd you pull this from? If it's legit I'm stoked Ross Filipo made it instead of Thrush, he played very well tonight.
[/b][/quote]

Wellington Rugby CEO.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HarryPeters @ Oct 25 2008, 10:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wairarapa_cullen @ Oct 25 2008, 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HarryPeters @ Oct 25 2008, 11:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wellington All Blacks:

H.Gear
N.Tialata
M.Nonu
C.Jane
R.So'oialo
R.Filipo
P.Weepu
C.Smith

[/b][/quote]

Wellington Rugby CEO.
[/b][/quote]

Was you on the New a while back? the Welly v Waikato supporter story with you and your dad .. or your son?lol

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (closedformaintenance @ Aug 9 2008, 01:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I was going to go to the sevens at hanover until i realised that sevens is just not the real deal...[/b]
7's is a pretty good spectator sport, what 7's is that anyway? is it the IRB 7's?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wairarapa_cullen @ Oct 25 2008, 08:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
It's absolutely ******* down in Wellington making it a hard game to watch. 7 - 3 with Canterbury in the lead after half time.[/b]
i didn't think the weather was that bad, i was at the game, i didn't even have a rain jacket and i wasn't that soaked.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ChiefsFan @ Oct 25 2008, 11:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
that's why Gear won't be in the squad tommorow.[/b]
hahaha good one chiefsfan.

who know's, this is what gear probably needs to find his 5th gear as he seems to have been stuck in 4th for a while now.

Latest posts