• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ali Williams retires from international rugby

FlukeArtist

Bench Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Blues
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/8712429/Williams-calls-time-on-All-Blacks-career

People will now speculate "did he retire, or was he going to be dropped?"

But I think that it doesn't matter either way.

At the end of the day, the guy has been a fantastic servant of NZ rugby, and that is what should be remembered.
That, and his play when he was in his prime, and some of the audacious stuff he used to do - like that cross field kick to Dougie Howlett(?) vs the Wallabies.

Great player, and by all accounts; a great guy too.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/8712429/Williams-calls-time-on-All-Blacks-career

People will now speculate "did he retire, or was he going to be dropped?"

But I think that it doesn't matter either way.

At the end of the day, the guy has been a fantastic servant of NZ rugby, and that is what should be remembered.
That, and his play when he was in his prime, and some of the audacious stuff he used to do - like that cross field kick to Dougie Howlett(?) vs the Wallabies.

Great player, and by all accounts; a great guy too.

I've heard some conflicting information, but meh :p

Great news for the All Blacks - means they can't select him. Ali Williams had a fantastic career, but he hasn't been All Black quality for the last two or three. It sounds like he'll stick with the Blues, which is also great for them, with Boric leaving.

Yep - great news for the All Blacks. Last time he was selected because he deserved it was 2008. From 2005-2008 he was one of the best locks in the world, but now there are a hell of a lot of locks in NZ who deserve their time: Sam Whitelock, Brodie Retallick, Dominic Bird could and should have massive futures. Romano I rate less but still much better than Williams. Even Eaton, Callum Retallick and Thrush I'd prefer.

I think he's been playing great rugby. I don't know how many times I've been watching the blues and either the blues have made a long break and he's been one of the first players there in support or the opposition has made a break and he is one of the first defenders to make it back or make the tackle.

Good on him, I think he still could have added to the squad but obviously not as a regular starter, without him the squad is very young even though Sam Whitelock should now start to be considered a player with fairly considerable experience.

I think he's been playing great rugby. I don't know how many times I've been watching the blues and either the blues have made a long break and he's been one of the first players there in support or the opposition has made a break and he is one of the first defenders to make it back or make the tackle.

Good on him, I think he still could have added to the squad but obviously not as a regular starter, without him the squad is very young even though Sam Whitelock should now start to be considered a player with fairly considerable experience.

He's probably made one of the most amount of penalties, handling errors and missed tackles leading to tries in the last four weeks.

Last edited:
I will miss his comical haka, only surpassed in hilarity by the pre 1980's haka.

He's probably made one of the most amount of handling errors and missed tackles leading to tries in the last four weeks.

Totally agree.
He has been plain awful lately.
Highlighted by that weak-ass tackle attempt on the Scott Higginbotham a couple of weeks back.

However, the guy has still been a great servant of NZ rugby.
I'm glad he'll still be around the domestic scene though.

prefer to focus on the good with the guy retiring. Lots of players struggling to tackle Scott Higginbotham lately he's having a pretty epic year. And for sure he's stepped over the line a bit at the breakdowns

I think the 2008 All Blacks were one of he best of the modern era and Ali was a big part of that side. lost a couple of early games, made some changes then were basically unbeatable. knotched up a a massive revenge win over the asssies, a clean sweep up north and maybe the most dominant away win ever against the springboks (19 - 0)

After that injuries more than anything else prevented him from continuing as a force in international rugby. But To fight back from the major setbacks again and again the way he did to get to where he is and be re-selected for the All Blacks shows character. Despite some negatives he has had a good season and played a key role in the blues going from utter losers to playoff contenders

What a pity, my favorite player. As mentioned by others he was in his prime during 2005-2008 and then injuries caught up with him. I hope he still has a couple of years with the Blues .

Latest posts