• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

All Black centres

Rhyer

Academy Player
Country Flag
France
Club or Nation
Montpellier
Only a few weeks ago things were looking promising for the All Blacks. Now? Conrad Smith KO'd for 45 seconds and contemplating his career after repeated concussions. Kahui with another shoulder operation. Ma'a Nonu hasn't featured that much for the Highlanders and when he has it's been a rather poor showing. Rene Ranger is showing good form but is in talks of going overseas. Tamati Ellison has played one game so far this season and was good but he is injury prone. Who would you guys pick?

Haven't heard he's contemplating his career - in fact he's apparently come off very well. Not even sure he was concussed, just knocked the **** out. Will miss the next game and probably a few others to be on the safe side though. Saw this - http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/sport/hurricanes/8635130/Knockout-puts-Smith-in-doubt - but it seems to mainly be speculation.

If we're talking about for the June series, I'd be extremely suprised if Conrad Smith doesn't play. If we're talking long term options we're not too bad either. Jason Emery may be good enough in a couple of years time - for the mean time Rene Ranger is putting his hand up - as is Francis Saili.

Ben+Smith+New+Zealand+Blacks+Headshots+Session+d7T-2MqVb1Zl.jpg

Haven't heard he's contemplating his career - in fact he's apparently come off very well. Not even sure he was concussed, just knocked the **** out. Will miss the next game and probably a few others to be on the safe side though. Saw this - http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/sport/hurricanes/8635130/Knockout-puts-Smith-in-doubt - but it seems to mainly be speculation.

If we're talking about for the June series, I'd be extremely suprised if Conrad Smith doesn't play. If we're talking long term options we're not too bad either. Jason Emery may be good enough in a couple of years time - for the mean time Rene Ranger is putting his hand up - as is Francis Saili.

Both posts above - /thread.

the NZRU should invest heavilly in cloning and just make another Ben Smith

in all seriousness, if we get in that much trouble we could do worse than Emery, he has look lively and i would rather see a young guys playing in position than someone more experienced playing out of position

Though there are a few injuries I think we are still pretty well covered in the midfield. Nonu has a minor injury at the moment but is expected to be back in 2-3 weeks. Over the last few seasons he hasn't been great at Super Rugby level but has always stepped up to test level, and I see no reason why this season will be any different (and to be fair he was starting to show a bit of form for the Highlanders before injury). Ellison is back now, and is likely to be Nonu's primary backup at 12, and is certainly an option at 13. If Conrad Smith is out (which is not yet confirmed) Ben Smith will likely start in the 13 jersey, as he has been groomed for the last year for that role (assuming the selectors don't want him at 14 or 15). With Kahui out I expect Ranger will be in the squad covering centre and wing (especially if Conrad Smith is out).

Overall I think we are pretty well covered - personally hooker is the only area I have major concerns over come June....

I really hope Ranger gets a go at some point. Ben Smith is for sure the safer option at centre, but Ranger can really set a game alight from 13 in a way I don't think Smith can. I'd prefer to start Ranger and have Smith on the bench to cover the rest of the backline.

That's 3 times Conrad Smith has been knocked out or concussed this year. He runs the risk of permanent brain damage if he carries on. He doesn't have to retire from rugby, but 3 times in 3 months means he needs a break yesterday.

maaaan, wtvr happened to Sonny Bill ?! Japan was it ?

EDIT: right, just wiki'ed it. The......ahem......."Panasonic Wild Knights". ahem....sounds...interesting.

Tamati Ellison rules himself out for me by going to Japan at a time when he has a huge opportunity to secure an All Black spot. Ben Smith and Ma'a Nonu will have to be the pairing. It's strange because centre is a position we have had great depth in but now we are going to have problems finding someone to play there.

What's wrong with Kahui? Seems to be the logical successor to Smith (who certainly needs a bit of downtime).

As long as he doesn't break himself by tackling too hard he's a shoe-in for the 13 shirt.

What's wrong with Kahui? Seems to be the logical successor to Smith (who certainly needs a bit of downtime).

As long as he doesn't break himself by tackling too hard he's a shoe-in for the 13 shirt.

Injured and he's off to Japan.

In the up coming tests, they really do need to break the pairing of nonu and smith. i think, unfortunatly, that nonu is one of these players who will step up to play for the ab's so dont mind his form. so im picking that it will be a nonu/ben smith combo. The all blacks like versatility so smith really has a good shot above all other players. Although that pairing is based on conrad smith out due to concussion. if he is fit it needs to be saili/smith. Francis saili is the future. such a strong ball runner, still very young but shows that 12 is his number and has so much potential. Ranger isnt out of the equasion. If hes going to france, hes out. but i think if hansen is in the know, he will also play in the french test, although proberbly off the bench.

but heres one - charlie piatau at centre. Hes going to be competing for the fullback with dagg, see how he goes at the top level... at centre...

So much seems to hinge on the availability of Smith and Nonu. If both of them are fit I'd have them as the combo, with Saili getting a game at second five, and Ben Smith backing up. Otherwise, depending on which one of them is out I'd simply swap Saili or Ben Smith in for the injured player.

In the up coming tests, they really do need to break the pairing of nonu and smith. i think, unfortunatly, that nonu is one of these players who will step up to play for the ab's so dont mind his form. so im picking that it will be a nonu/ben smith combo. The all blacks like versatility so smith really has a good shot above all other players. Although that pairing is based on conrad smith out due to concussion. if he is fit it needs to be saili/smith. Francis saili is the future. such a strong ball runner, still very young but shows that 12 is his number and has so much potential. Ranger isnt out of the equasion. If hes going to france, hes out. but i think if hansen is in the know, he will also play in the french test, although proberbly off the bench.

but heres one - charlie piatau at centre. Hes going to be competing for the fullback with dagg, see how he goes at the top level... at centre...

One problem with that.

He doesn't pass. Ever.

Until now, Ranger was not good enough because of his poor defense. This year his defense has improved a lot, and he is doing an amazing job at the breakdown. For me there are very few players in NZ with the talent he posses. If he leaves to France, or Hansen doesn't give him a deserved reward this year, NZ rugby would be losing an amazing player. For me, if Smith is not avaliable, Ranger should be the NZ 13. In my opinion he should be ahead of Ellison, Smith or Kahui. He has been suberb this year in super rugby, and he has improved a lot in areas where he was considered weak.

I really hope Kahui goes away and has two injury free seasons in Japan and comes back for the 2015 world cup. He showed in 2011 that he the type of player NZ needs in world cups.

but for now if I was AB coach I would be in long talks with Renee ranger, this year he has been phenomenal in nearly every aspect of his game and his defense has really been absolutely top draw.

Nonu has been a real mixed bag since the world cup. interesting statistic that in the last 3 years he has only won something like 5-6 games of super rugby and he has not been a true force for the All Blacks since 2011

Right now I personally thing the best "front three" we can put on the park line would be

10, Cruden
12, Carter
13, Ranger

The next best option while keeping Carter at 10 would be

10, Carter
12, Ben Smith
13, Ranger

But Ben smith is predominantly a fullback and he's the best fullback I think in the world right now. he would also fill a void and be the best option at 14.

Pick a form 12 from super rugby? options are:

Jackson willison - I think under-rated player that was under utilized by Ian Foster for years at the chiefs, the fact he has come into the blues and probably been a better option than saili at times proves his worth, I think a good combination with ranger.
Francis Saili - Bigger and Better all out ball runner and line breaker than Willison but not as good on defense and maybe not the vision willison has.
Aki - would have to be a long shot but the fact is he has not put a foot wrong this year and he has been in great form for a winning side. Also at his age he is a developing talent. Like Willison he is just simply a very very good defender - a fact that ticks a lot of boxes.
Ryan Crotty - he's now a very experienced player who's probably been unlucky not to at least get a chance to play a test or two. Fairly safe option.
Tim Bateman - very smart and experienced player but very much a long shot.

Francis Saili would have the inside running as he is part of the current training group. he has cut lines to shreds at times but i think he's also been quiet and pretty poor on defense at times as well. Generally defense is more important than any other aspect for test footy. Carter operates alot better at 10 when he doesn't have to commit to an extra defensive workload because of a 12 who's not pulling his weight. I remember a game a couple years ago when carter made ~14 tackles and Nonu made 3-4 and carter was not happy, you could see it on field. not likely to happen with Cane at 7 but I still think you need a good busy shoulder at 12.

back to ranger... been mixed info on how deep he is in with french rugby. Word has been that he is waiting on finding out his All Black prospects before putting pen to paper but I've also heard that hes already signed and his agent is now looking into finding ~$300k to buy him out of his french contract so he can stay in NZ.

Conrad Smith is fantastic, but he's coming off a serious head knock. he's in that "will he or wont he make it through to 2015" category. Who knows, I tend to think that we need another option and we need it now.

I think the only time Saili has had defensive issue was when he played at 13.

Put some dreadlocks on Savea and give him the 12 shirt. Damn I should be the AB coach. Oh sorry I got to coach Wales first

Latest posts