• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

All Black & Southern hemisphere Exodus up North

That's actually quite interesting, we've had 3 zimbabwean born captains for the boks over the years (*from what I can remember*) not sure if there were more though.

Funky.

Zimbabwe obviously wasn't "super" enough for them and lets face it, who can blame them!!!

Zimbabwe obviously wasn't "super" enough for them and lets face it, who can blame them!!!
[/b]

hey ,Pre 2001 (*was it ?*) Zimbabwe wasn't that bad at all.

Breadbasket of Africa they called it.

Well true it wasn't all bad before 2001, especially if you didn't live in the Matabele land and didn't get a visit from the North Korean trained 5th Brigade.

Yeah, if you fill that criteria, before 2001 Zimbabwe truly was "super".

I think once more and more players of high quality start to filter through in bigger and bigger quantities then it will make good financial sense for Clubs to recruit from home rather than from abroad. Brian Ashton can only nick 30 players a go and the Saxons can only nick another 20-30 too so that, coupled with a structured season would save the clubs an extraordinary amount of dough rather than splurging on SH hasbeens.
[/b]

Would you say kids are becoming less interested in playing the game? Because you mentioned in an earlier post that the GP clubs are desperate to get more kids into the academies.

Yes, ahem, sorry guys I'll get back on topic :wacko:

That is really difficult to say. I think kids at early Secondary level are still up for playing the game, especially if the local club, Sport England, the RFU and the Government keep funding after school and holiday camp programs. Also the actual Club academies are good at grabbing talent, giving them games, and developing the kids. It just seems that when they leave the 'A' team hit the top flight part of the system, neither the Club nor the RFU quite knows what to do with them. So they just get left on the benches to gather dust.

That isn't really a good advert for the next generation of Johnny Wilkinsons or Martin Johnsons now, is it?

Clubs just need to take a risk like Dean Ryan's Gloucester or Ian Mcgeechan's Wasps or Quins' or Irish and play those young players, perhaps rotate young guns with more young guns, get them to have a good scrap over that coveted place, get them to value the shirt over everything else. If you can't, loan them out to a NL1 club and send one of your guys to watch the games and see how he does. Just because he doesn't play games for your team doesn't mean he can't compete for a place for when he returns.

Lots of young talent incoming and lots of competition for places, thats what we should be aiming for.

It's shocking to hear that no southern hemisphere backs have considered moving to munster, what with all their flowing backline moves!!!! :lol: :lol:

<div class='quotemain'>
Well I'm an Islander myself and I'm not being too defensive, lol why would I. To be honest if I was good at rugby I'll dream of playing for the All Blacks. They probably don't play for your national sides because there arn't that many of their own people there. I think history is where it originates from before they play for another nation. It's happened in New Zealand a long time, then Australia and even the USA. These three countries have quite a lot of PIs.
[/b]

Its known as "poaching of talent" Canada, the UK, Australia and New Zealand do it to the third world all the time. The most high profile is all of the above poaching doctors and nurses from Africa and South Asia for their health systems which cripples third world services, Canada poaches athletics talent from..well...anywhere which cripples the teams that those Caribbean and African nations can send to the Olympics, England poaches anything from South Africa, thus while not crippling, annoys the Wokka Bokke ( :bleh!: ) and New Zealand, Australia and the British Army poach from the pacific islands for their rugby teams.

Seriously, its all right New Zealand, we know how it works. In a few weeks time, the Army will wipe the floor with the Navy at Twickenham because most of their team are from the Parachute Regiment and most of those guys are Fijian and Samoan.

So, seriously, New Zealand, give it up already, we know because we do the exact same thing. Stop being so uppity about it.
[/b][/quote]
You dont have a clue what your on about, I guess you have to live in New Zealand to understand NZ culture. Nz was founded by polys and a while later develpoed their own distinct culture the maori. Being islander myself we have 3rd and 4th generation families over here. Being a islander born and raised in NZ or being brought and raised here at a early age is the norm. We are lucky to have 2 places we can call home. Its important for us to know our roots but also dont discredit us for not being kiwi as well and are entitild to play for which country we see fit. Besides most P.I prefer to stay in NZ and will only go back to the islands for a holiday, to see family or death of a family member or if we are naughty and need to be disiplined back in the islands. Dont speak on P.I's being poached by NZ if u dont understand NZ culture in genral. ok Polo Laititi and god bless lol :)

Hee hee, another one bites!

I shall have myself a fish pie before the day is out!

Hi,

I've headr about Kelleher in Toulouse. Sounds good to me ! Is he really appreciated in NZ ?

This could be 1998 all over again when the All Blacks had a load of experienced internationals retire and lost 5 in a row! i fear that may be reality again in 2008

it doesnt really matter in NZ cos there are freaks who will fill those spots now cos there is such depth. And it will make northern hemisphere rugby worse as up and comers will be left out and not have any experience.
All those ABS will come back b4 the next world cup and slip in easy

Tbh I don't think it will disadvantage the northern hemisphere sides as much as everyone thinks. What I do think it will do is help advance the wealthier southern hemisphere sides.

England football are not that bad, they are still one of the top sides in the world (you can stop laughing now). If you have enough people wanting to play (and England has more Rugby players than anywhere else in the world) then there will always be stand-out quality players who will overcome any problems posed by more foreigners. What you do rule out are decent squad members and late comers though. England will still continue to produce good players (Abendanon, Cipriani,Geraghty) because they are premiership class. You might miss out on a few but there should be enough to fill their places.

But following on from the football model I think the SH sides (with the exception of SA and their policy) will come out of this a good deal better than their NH counterparts. Of Brazils first side only one or two are based in Brazil (obviously they would still produce the talent anyway). But now there are going to be troops of youngsters seeing the big time, the big money, what can be acheived and now there are more oppurtunities. In essence, they don't have to overcome the system. And when they move elsewhere it just opens the gate for another. Plus they'll get better training than their NH counterpart who's still in the academy.

A load of already talented youngsters with better training and more oppurtunities is going to make the SH sides (particurly NZ) a force to be reckoned with.

The Aussies won't sell out. Northern Hemisphere rugby is still seen as a quaint way to make some easy money in retirement. But while they're young fit and in their prime they'll play in Australia

The Aussies won't sell out. Northern Hemisphere rugby is still seen as a quaint way to make some easy money in retirement. But while they're young fit and in their prime they'll play in Australia
[/b]

Lets see in another years time..... As the ARU make another loss next year and the northern clubs offer even more money, the drift northwards is inevitable. I cant see the Aussies being exempt from this problem.

Latest posts