Okay so from what I've read we have
Chris Jack
Carl Hayman
Rico Gear
Luke Mcallistair
Joe Van Niekerk
Byron kelleher
Aaron Mauger...

God Im sure theres loads more names to the list I've forgotten but all are moving across to the NH, sporting politics aside the Heinken Cup 2008 (fingers crossed)and Guiness premiership should be immense with the quality of players coming across.

Personally I regard Super 14 as the standard bearer for club rugby, I know some of the Northern Hemisphere fans would disagree but im my opinion based purely on the top 4 teams in each competition playing against each other I would have the S14 teams coming out on top...just, however with the number of SH players flocking over to English and french clubs I feel the quality of players is now tipping over in favour of the H cup

I can exclusively reveal that there will indeed be a Heineken Cup next season...they just released the fixture lists

Group A
Munster
Stade Francais
Benetton Treviso
Ludlow RUFC

Group B
Leinster
Edinburgh
Biarritz
Whitney Ladies RUFC

Group C
Ulster
Stade Toulouse
Llanelli Scarlets
Royal Asthmatics Society 2nd XV RUFC

Group D
Cardiff Blues
Neath Swansea Ospreys
Overmach Rugby Parma
Some kids that were playing touch rugby outside RFU headquarters RUFC

Its a shame the Royal Asmathatics couldnt put out their 1st XV, when tghose guys play it takes your breathe away :roflrol:

Okay so from what I've read we have

Chris Jack
Carl Hayman
Rico Gear
Luke Mcallistair
Joe Van Niekerk
Byron kelleher
Aaron Mauger...
[/b]

You can also add...

George Gregan -> Toulon
Stephen Larkham -> ??Toulouse???
Josh Blackie -> Japan
Sam Tuitupou -> Worcester
Chris O'Young -> Glasgow

..and Peter Hewat, Scott Staniforth and Jeremy Paul are still deciding whether to take the money up north or continue playing top class rugby in the S14.

Despite all these players heading north,IMO there i still no NH team capable of making the S14 finals let alone winning the thing.

Therefore Super14 >>> Heineken Cup

So where are all those New Zealand boys moving to?
Coz i sure don't want them in any of the welsh regions that's for sure.
We've got enough Kiwi's here already.

Chris Jack - Saracens
Carl Hayman - Newcastle
Rico Gear - Sale?
Luke Mcallistair
Joe Van Niekerk - Northampton Saints
Byron kelleher
Aaron Mauger - Leicester

McAlister is going nowhere - the only reason he was going to go overseas was because his path to the ABs was blocked, now that Mauger is gone the 12 Jersey is his.

i personally wont play overseas!! i mean i would try and play for the all blacks as long as i can, some of those players are still young!!

Well we all know they are coming over to make names for themselves and make money over here, as I guess it is easier for them to play regular rugby here than there, although if your good enough you will play...

The Question is, Is the face of Rugby Changing, is the North/South Decide being split? Will the All Blacks Choose players who are not playing their rugby in New Zealand

Well we all know they are coming over to make names for themselves and make money over here, as I guess it is easier for them to play regular rugby here than there, although if your good enough you will play...

The Question is, Is the face of Rugby Changing, is the North/South Decide being split? Will the All Blacks Choose players who are not playing their rugby in New Zealand
[/b]

Agreed, that's what I always had in mind when I was reading through these posts. The Super 14 and Air New Zealand Cup is the only purpose where New Zealand pick their All Blacks squad, not from overseas. The players moving to the Northern Hemishpere will be affected by this situation.

Its a shame the Royal Asmathatics couldnt put out their 1st XV, when tghose guys play it takes your breathe away :roflrol:
[/b]

The RFU mightn't think it's such a good wheeze though.

(Sorry)

McAlister is going nowhere - the only reason he was going to go overseas was because his path to the ABs was blocked, now that Mauger is gone the 12 Jersey is his.
[/b]

Yer. He's pretty much automatic now. And he hasn't started much for the All Blacks, so I'm sure he'll stay.

Unless ofcourse NH offer him more than a million a year, which I doubt.

interesting story this off rugby365.com, thought it fits in with your topic here:

http://www.rugby365.com/story/0,18881,3562_2080384,00.html

Henry and co. braced for departures
Sunday 22nd April 2007

Luke McAlister: Another NZ departure?

All Black coach Graham Henry has warned New Zealand fans that they should expect a mass exodus of New Zealand players after the Rugby World Cup.

Henry, in an interview with the New Zealand, cited physical and mental demands on the players, with New Zealand's rugby faithful ever thirstier for success and the Test programme showing no sign of shrinking.

Carl Hayman, Chris Jack, Byron Kelleher, and Aaron Mauger are all players who have at least a good three to four years left on their careers and could conceivably make a New Zealand squad for RWC 2011, yet have chosen to head overseas in the hope of escaping the home pressures.

At 23, Luke McAlister is also considering heading to Toulouse in France, and Sitiveni Sivivatu and Nick Evans have both been linked with Agen.

"I think 'Joe Bloggs' doesn't understand the pressure the players are under," said Henry.

"There are huge expectations on these guys. They play 12 or 13 tests a season and they play big Super 14 games - it is big games all the time.

"Not so long ago a guy might have taken six or seven years to win 35 caps, now he can do that in three or four years.

"These guys are totally committed to the All Black jersey but, for some, they take the view that they need to get out from under the microscope. It's nobody's fault, it is just the nature of the beast."

However, the rule about overseas-based players not being eligible for national selection will not be changed, according to Henry's assistant Steve Hansen, also speaking to the Herald.

"When we've got players playing overseas and being available to play for the All Blacks, then we lose our exclusivity of being able to develop players here," he said.

"Everyone who is staying at the moment is staying because they want to play for the All Blacks, and we just can't afford to lose our trump card."

Hansen concurred with Henry that the opportunity for a new and less pressured lifestyle overseas was just as much a factor in the departing players' decisions as the riches on offer.

"The season overseas is not any shorter, they play just as many games if not more," Hansen said.

"What is different is that when they play overseas they just play for one team, whereas in New Zealand they play Super 14 and international rugby.

"It's disappointing to see a quality player like Jacko leave but he's been a great servant to New Zealand rugby and needed to make this decision based on what's good for him and his family - and we have to support that."

"It's not all about the money. We all know we can't compete financially and that overseas clubs can offer more money, and that's the cold hard facts of it. But we still have the lure of the black jersey."

I dont blame any of those guys, every rugby player is potentially 1 tackle away from a career ending injury, so good on them for making smart money decisions. i know I would

Sivivatu won't go, he won't have sat out 3 years of International Rugby (despite already serving a 3 year period before that) so he could play for the All Blacks just to give it up after 2 seasons.

Evans is a maybe, but with Mauger going he should be assured at least a bench spot and with McAlister and Carter both injured at least once a year he should get plenty of playing time.

Latest posts