• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

All Blacks 2021-2023 Thread

PGS is a bit criminal, 25 mins over two games including a try....didnt even really get a chance to do anything wrong...and now cant even make the AB XV, dont get me wrong, i think his form had dropped off before getting selected for the AB to the point where i wouldn't have selected him...BUT...they did...and he's not playing worse...so whats changed, it does look a bid dodgy

too many experienced players for me, i would rather the guys we KNOW wont play for the AB's (fakatava, RTS, Sotutu, perofeta etc) had started for the AB XV than go hold tackle bags
They still might, foster on the breakdown said a few players might be released from the all blacks camp to play for the all blacks XV

Last edited:
Then for the second game, against barbarians

Tuungafasi
Bell
Williams
Tuipolotu
Dickson
Jacobson
Harmon
Sotutu
Tj
Gatland
Telea
Nankivell
Sullivan
Rts (to give him game time at wing)
Mckenzie

Brewis
Aumua
Taavao
Gallagher
Gardner
Roigard
Love
Lam

So today, a Wellington pack with only one player in the all blacks XV completely dominated a team with 8 plus Owen franks, Luke Romano, reed prinsep. Particularly Delaney was massive.

So today, a Wellington pack with only one player in the all blacks XV completely dominated a team with 8 plus Owen franks, Luke Romano, reed prinsep. Particularly Delaney was massive.
the AB's consistently underestimate how well a cohesive team can perform against a team of "names" as well as underestimating what blokes with something to prove can do

Brodie got red carded for a clean out. Want to see that.

Edit:

Deserved red.

Last edited:

Full highlights. Looks like Japan really pushed them, but how many first XV players weren't on the field for NZ?

Please explain to me. The Japanese player has got his head down near the ball so how is Retallick supposed to compete for that ball without going near the head?

Brodie can compete by doing a crock roll but then I am not in favour of that either.

As soon as he makes direct contact with head and neck then red every day. Onus is on him not to.

Please explain to me. The Japanese player has got his head down near the ball so how is Retallick supposed to compete for that ball without going near the head?
Croc roll around the hips, bind around the torso and drive over, or accept that losing possession is better than causing brain damage.

Sometimes, you just have to accept that you're too late for this breakdown. Rare to see it carded, hopefully the start of a trend until players make better decisions.

Last edited:

Full highlights. Looks like Japan really pushed them, but how many first XV players weren't on the field for NZ?

A little bit of that, but it's still a great shot across the bows for England and Argentina.

The one piece that remains to be seen is how well Japan travel. They're usually very competitive at home, but I don't recall them taking any major scalps elsewhere.

I hope they are super competitive. That can only be good for rugby.

Exactly.
@AngloScotsHybrid feels like you're blaming Himeno for pretty much a textbook jackal.
That's harsh. I think it's a "what else is he supposed to do" like we saw the first few games a tip tackle was carded, or first few times a player was carded for ending up on the wrong side of a tackle, or the first few times a player was carded for being landed on by a player in the air.

Something we see a lot of (and regular complaints about) gets a red card. People ask "what else is he supposed to do". Coaches find answers to that (don't drive upwards in the tackle be more careful of you body position when tackling, it's okay to take your eyes off the high ball and check for airborn full backs).

Hopefully,this is the start of a clampdown, rather than a 1-off "see, we do take it seriously" and then ignored for another 3 years. In which case, players will soon learn not to contest lost causes, or try something safer.

. But are we expecting Retallick to stand back and let Japan have the ball? Thats not a game of rugby I want to watch.
Or croc role.
Or bind and drive.

Or something else that doesn't involved dangerous foul play. AKA, bind with the arm, and not hit someone in the head.

Sometimes though, yeah, you need to accept that you've lost this play, and reset to defend the next phase. Same as all other times your team has lost a phase and is better off accepting it, than fighting a lost cause and being sent off.

As I keep saying, should be allowed to come in from the side slightly. You can't bind to himeno in this situation without many refs claiming you came in from the side.

I'm not sure a croc role is even legal, because you are dliberstely going to ground

On the game, Japan was pretty good but they weren't great. Made a lot of mistakes. Didn't finish their opportunities , dropped tackles to give the all blacks opportunites. But otherwise they played ok, frequently finding themselves with more numbers than the all blacks. Making ground easily, but many teams have under the current all blacks defence coach.

In terms of how much of a b team this was for the all blacks, well actually given players unavailability for this game for various reasons, the fifteen the selectors would have put out if they picked their best team based on what's available would have had probably only four different players from what we saw.

Latest posts