• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

All Blacks 2021-2023 Thread

Or croc role.
Or bind and drive.

Or something else that doesn't involved dangerous foul play. AKA, bind with the arm, and not hit someone in the head.

Sometimes though, yeah, you need to accept that you've lost this play, and reset to defend the next phase. Same as all other times your team has lost a phase and is better off accepting it, than fighting a lost cause and being sent off.
This.
Im not blaming the Japanese player for anything. But are we expecting Retallick to stand back and let Japan have the ball? Thats not a game of rugby I want to watch.
So are you saying you'd rather players dangerously fly in to a ruck because it makes it more competitive?

In this scenario, Retallick could have recognised that Himeno had essentially won the ball. If he lets him pick it up, he potentially has a chance to tackle him legally (and not dangerously). Even if the ref had pinged NZ for holding on, I'm sure they'd have taken the concession of a penalty rather than a red card.

Have to say how much I enjoy watching Japan play…those blokes just love some code, 3 or 4 time as many tackles and still trying to play when they get the chance

I legit cheered himenos try, good Otago lad there

Red was deserved, glad baring here I actually haven't seen anyone question it

Last edited:

Crowd deserved it, looked like they we loving every minute

I was really disappointed to see mounga play so poorly. And absolutely not surprised that Christie was poor; way too slow with his pass, and offered no running game.

Just heard cane has gone home with fractured cheekbone. If sotutu had played better we might have seen savea at seven next week, but that won't happen. Frizell hardly imposed himself in this game, so hopefully Scott plays six next week, but that's less likely with no retallick.

I was really disappointed to see mounga play so poorly. And absolutely not surprised that Christie was poor; way too slow with his pass, and offered no running game.

Just heard cane has gone home with fractured cheekbone. If sotutu had played better we might have seen savea at seven next week, but that won't happen. Frizell hardly imposed himself in this game, so hopefully Scott plays six next week, but that's less likely with no retallick.

And Coles as well. But really Foster should be looking past him with his injury record.

In this scenario, Retallick could have recognised that Himeno had essentially won the ball. If he lets him pick it up, he potentially has a chance to tackle him legally (and not dangerously). Even if the ref had pinged NZ for holding on, I'm sure they'd have taken the concession of a penalty rather than a red card.
I wholeheartedly agree with all of this, but I think it will take a sustained period of consistently applied harsh (albeit appropriate) sanctions before we see a change in attitude. Players know the importance of getting to rucks quickly as a consequence are charging in flat out - it doesn't leave a lot of time to assess the best way of hitting the ruck or whether to wait for the next one. There's a lot of unlearning and new learning that needs to happen. It will be interesting to see how coaches adapt to the increased risk of sanctions.

Apparently Brodie Retallick went on a course to get his ban reduced. Like if you go on a speed awareness course you dont have to pay a speeding fine. I wonder what the course covers. If its anything like the speed awareness course I went on it will be extremely tedious.

Apparently Brodie Retallick went on a course to get his ban reduced. Like if you go on a speed awareness course you dont have to pay a speeding fine. I wonder what the course covers. If its anything like the speed awareness course I went on it will be extremely tedious.
IIRC it's further education on concussion

All blacks in 2022 8 wins 1 draw 4 losses,
Noting the lucky win against Australia and one of the wins being against Japan.

We have become better at the maul and scrum and breakdown through the year.

But our biggest weakness since, and including the 2019 semifinal, was always defence (apart from on the line, which is really masking our massive frailties), and we have made zero improvements in that area.

And I don't have confidence that we will because we only ever hear about how the defence is good, I have not once heard anyone that works for nzr acknowledge defence as a weakness. I really hope the review process is thorough. We need someone else if not to replace then at least to help Scott McLeod

All blacks in 2022 8 wins 1 draw 4 losses,
Noting the lucky win against Australia and one of the wins being against Japan.

We have become better at the maul and scrum and breakdown through the year.

But our biggest weakness since, and including the 2019 semifinal, was always defence (apart from on the line, which is really masking our massive frailties), and we have made zero improvements in that area.

And I don't have confidence that we will because we only ever hear about how the defence is good, I have not once heard anyone that works for nzr acknowledge defence as a weakness. I really hope the review process is thorough. We need someone else if not to replace then at least to help Scott McLeod
I notice is not playing like a whole team, people might look at an old school backline move as being old fashioned…but they're exactly how we're being opened up, double rounds, dummy runs…we don't do them and others open us up doing them…personally even forgetting if they would work nor not…trying to do them…practicing them…would surely build some team…ness

Reiko's neck roll on Farrell was totally unnecessary and cost ABs 7 points in the first half. Just those kind of errors that the pre 2017 ABs just wouldn't make.

Last edited:
Reiko's neck roll on Farrell was totally unnecessary and cost ABs 7 points in the first half. Just those kind of errors that the pre 2017 ABs just wouldn't make.
Yes, definitely i should add discipline and other errors to my synopsis. Discipline surely can be improved. Errors somewhat too, but somewhat just depends on which players you select.

I think in the past we were lucky that the players who were the best athletes were also excellent at catching and passing and reading the game, and not doing dumb stuff.

Last edited:
Yes, definitely i should add discipline and other errors to my synopsis. Discipline surely can be improved. Errors somewhat too, but somewhat just depends on which players you select.

I think in the past we were lucky that the players who were the best athletes were also excellent at catching and passing and reading the game, and not doing dumb stuff.
The other thing with Rieko is I don't think he's yet to develop that nous between the ears. Gas for sure. He's got a long way to live up to in main predecessor in the 13 jersey Conrad Smith.

But ABs have been dilly dallying with the 12/13 combo for over 7 years now. They just need to settle and stick with midfield combination until the RWC.

Also interesting what Dan Carter was saying on Amazon prime that it was really Beauden controlling the game from full back whereas it really should be Mo'unga that should be. A downside of playing them both in the dual playmaker role?

If Jordan can return fit and also be rock solid under the high ball then surely the 15 jersey is his. Move Beauden back to bench duties
Or just choose him at 10 and move Richie to bench.

obviously DC know more than any of us....but i was going to say BB was invisible apart from his card, no injection form the back

Yeh difficult to tell on TV. We get such a limited viewpoint of the game being played out.

It was actually Gatland who asked DC about who should control for ABs, both having a viewpoint of the whole pitch and game and DC giving his view on Richie and Beauden.

Latest posts