All Blacks abused sleeping pills during 2011 World Cup

Gavin

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Former Soviet Union
Club or Nation
Barbarians
Seems like New Zealand can win a World Cup even when half asleep.

The New Zealand Rugby Union have confirmed All Blacks Cory Jane and Israel Dagg were under the influence of sleeping pills during their infamous night out during the 2011 Rugby World Cup.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/9850245/NZRU-confirms-All-Blacks-sleeping-pill-use

Tew also eschewed media claims that the practice of mixing sleeping pills with alcohol to achieve an amphetamine-like "high" was commonplace in Super Rugby.

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_9222518,00.html

Is this like in Role Models where they take sleeping pills and try and stay up really late?

While it's all a bit sketchy, it doesn't seem like they broke any rules (apart from the getting smashed during a tournament/pre game - which was dealt with internally).
Will be interesting to see if any rulings come in about sleeping pills, now - as the article says, it'd impact the travelling teams quite a lot, as they have to contend with different time zones.

I am surprised why they have decided to bring this out into the light of day now. The incident was several years ago. Sleeping pills are vital to professional sports people nowadays, especially with the amount of travelling they do through various timezones.

Reminds me a bit like Loods from the wolf of wall street which makes Daggs tung out face make a lot more sense.

This has all come to light after a NRL Doctor claims that players in the NRL are taking sleeping pills to get high..

The media did some digging into CJ and Dagg and found they had taken sleeping pills when they were banned.

It's all pretty f*cking lame.

This has all come to light after a NRL Doctor claims that players in the NRL are taking sleeping pills to get high..

The media did some digging into CJ and Dagg and found they had taken sleeping pills when they were banned.

It's all pretty f*cking lame.

Banned as it, not allowed unprescribed by the team right?

What confused me at first by this story, and the NRL players mixing sleeping pills and energy drinks story, is whether the issues is guys getting a legal high or guys getting a legal high and enhancing their performance.

Sleeping pills are clearly allowed in some circumstances as they're used a lot by traveling teams. But is there anything to stop players taking them at other times because they can't sleep?

Either way, drinking and popping pills before a WC Quarter Final is so dumb I can't even fathom it.

Banned as it, not allowed unprescribed by the team right?

What confused me at first by this story, and the NRL players mixing sleeping pills and energy drinks story, is whether the issues is guys getting a legal high or guys getting a legal high and enhancing their performance.

Sleeping pills are clearly allowed in some circumstances as they're used a lot by traveling teams. But is there anything to stop players taking them at other times because they can't sleep?

Either way, drinking and popping pills before a WC Quarter Final is so dumb I can't even fathom it.

... couldn't agree more

this is common in every sport, as in every field more globally. People just need to get ****ed up. It's silly, but getting ****ed up feels good. You read those stories, I swear, in any sport. It's the Mr. Hyde inside us, the strange little Bill Clinton/Conan the Barbarian in our minds.

They played like they were on tranquiizers. Limped home in the final against a bloody awful French team (by French standards)

Latest posts