• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

All Blacks Committed To All Out Attack To Win World Cup

Iron Lion Zion

Academy Player
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...ks-coach-steve-hansen-promises-more-fireworks

All Blacks fans who hate stress should look away now.

Rather than harangue his players for surrendering the ball 12 times during the 23-13 win over the Springboks in Yokohama on Saturday night, All Blacks coach Hansen just shrugged and suggested good things can come at a cost.

1569183003333.jpg

GETTY IMAGES
Fullback Beauden Barrett added pace and energy to the All Blacks attack during the win over the Springboks.
In other words if the All Blacks are going to use their attacking skills to inflict misery on their opponents they need to be prepared to accept some bad medicine in return.

That's good news for this World Cup tournament. Exciting rugby is being delivered in Asia. As for nervy All Blacks fans, well, they are going to have to learn to cop it sweet.

Some coaches might snap their biros in half if a player even contemplates trying to attack from behind his tryline.

Not Hansen. He's going to encourage it.

Instead of turning the air blue when Beauden Barrett refused to kick for touch when he got the ball behind his own try line during the first pool game against the Springboks, Hansen marvelled at the fullback's audacity and vision.

"A couple of times we got a turnover in the corner and Beauden decided to run from behind his own goal posts," Hansen explained.

"We were one pass away from scoring at the other end if Scooter [Scott Barrett] had put it over the top rather than straight into Steph's [Steph-Pieter du Toit] hands.

"We would have been gone. If you are going to play a high risk game, you are going to have turnovers. But is there any rewards for that? Well, yeah, there is."

Dane Coles says there's more to come from the All Blacks after their 23-13 victory over the Springboks.
So there you have it.

Hansen wants to try and sign off his eight-years as head coach with the All Blacks in style.

While the All Blacks had hinted they had plans to exploit the Springboks' flying defensive line, few thought they would be so audacious.

It wasn't only Barrett who tried to create mayhem, either.

First five-eighth Richie Mo'unga executed a kick-pass to Sevu Reece that led to the first try to George Bridge, and a daring lineout throw by Dane Coles, which sailed right over the back, almost found Reece.

Conservative types might tut-tut, but Hansen believes he can trust his players to attempt dangerous manoeuvres.

If the All Blacks' handling and passing skills don't desert them, they should continue to prosper in the remaining pool games against Canada, Namibia and Italy.

That's the plan, anyway.

1569182674526.jpg

GETTY IMAGES
Kieran Read congratulates George Bridge after he scored the All Blacks' first try of the Rugby World Cup.
"If you're going to play a high-risk game you're going to have turnovers. Is there any reward for that?" said Hansen. "Yeah, there is."

The Springboks conceded possession on 18 occasions, although they were more conservative; they simply couldn't keep the ball as the speed of the game and the All Blacks' defence took its toll.

"It was two big bulls in the china shop having a crack and we weren't playing conservatively, so I think when it's like that you're going to make mistakes," Hansen added.

"When you defend like they do, then there's going to be turnover ball. I thought we defended really well, too, so there's going to be turnover ball there too."

The All Blacks' next game is against Canada in Oita on October 2. Four days later they meet Namibia in Tokyo.

This short turnaround means Hansen will have to manage his squad carefully.

He said they will aim to use all 30 fit squad members - Brodie Retallick is working his way back to full fitness from a dislocated shoulder - in the next two games.

"Some guys are going to have to double up, so we are going to have to be smart about how much game time they get in both the games."

im enjoying this mentality. its what won ABs the last wc in 2015. lets try and make rugby as entertaining as possible and move away from this attitude that it has to be a grind all the time.
i'd much rather ABs lost playing attractive rugby than win with a grinding ball killing gameplan.
2011 WC finals was so stressful.

im enjoying this mentality. its what won ABs the last wc in 2015. lets try and make rugby as entertaining as possible and move away from this attitude that it has to be a grind all the time.
i'd much rather ABs lost playing attractive rugby than win with a grinding ball killing gameplan.
2011 WC finals was so stressful.

Agreed, I am not sure why any ABs fans would be unhappy with that plan.

The point in the opening game where I thought we had won was the SA drop goal as it said they were out of ideas and were going back to the old game plans.

Last edited:
Agreed, I am not sure why any ABs fans would be unhappy with that plan.
NZ cannot afford to not play entertaining rugby. we're too small a nation.
for our grassroots to see the ABs playing exciting expansive rugby is such a huge attraction and keeps our next gen wanting to be ABs and emulating what they see and coming up with better and better ideas.
we can never go back to the grantFox era. we need to stay in the christianCullen mindset

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...ls-for-all-blacks-to-stop-performing-the-haka

ban the haka. i was wondering when this would rear its repetitive boring ugly head.
why should the pacific be as boring as everyone else? a bit of culture and uniqueness adds colour to WorldRugby.
if your intimidated by the haka then rugby probably isnt for u

To be honest I am not a Haka fan and usually use it as an opportunity to grab a fresh drink before the game but I also don't have an issue with it either rather than ban it I think other nations could use it as a cultural show piece the English could dance around a maypole for instance.

As far as being intimidated by it I would suggest that the only ones in that group don't understand the difference between a challenge and a threat, I am interested in how a bunch of guys doing a dance pregame gives them any advantage short of a warm up which everyone gets we just choreograph ours.

I would also suggest the writer has no idea what he is talking about as you would be hard pressed to find any descendants of those "ruthless oppressors" who today aren't part Maori at least.

Last edited:

Latest posts