• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

All Blacks squad for their end of year tour

My thoughts on the halfback situation:

Personally I'm happy with the three selected - I wouldn't describe any of them as world class (though I have high hopes for Mathewson), but I do think that they are all more than capable of playing test rugby.

Cowan: I've never been a fan of his (despite him playing for the Highlanders), as his distribution have never been that great. I was pleasantly surprised how well he went last year, establishing himself as the top halfback in the country. He wasn't that impressive during this years tri-nations, though he did play well in the early internationals this year. He's certainly an outstanding cover defender, and is incredibly competitive - I'm hoping he can get back to his best form on this tour.

Mathewson: I'm a big fan of Mathewson, I think he was the standout NZ halfback of the Super 14. He's got a great running game, and also a pretty good pass - whether he can step up to the next level is the only question remaining. I would love to see him coming off the bench with 20-30 mins remaining against a tiring defense.

Ellis: He's a solid rather than spectacular player - he's distributes ok, he runs ok, he defends ok - he doesn't however excel in any off these areas. His big strength is that he reads the game really well, so often makes the right decision, and he also has a strong combination going with both Read and Carter. He's also generally consistent, so you know what you are going to get from him. He's also made more drop goals in the ITM Cup than any other player :)

Leonard: Great runner (at ITM/Super rugby level), a good cover defender, and can be a good distributor at times. The problem I have with Leonard is that despite him having a very strong running game at Super Rugby/ITM Cup level, we really haven't seen it at test match level. This may be attributed to the increased defensive pressure at test level - it's just a shame that his major strength seems to disappear at test match level. If he was a consistent distributor I would be much more comfortable with him playing tests - sometimes it appears that his passing is world class, while at other times he sprays it all over the place. If he has a strong Super 15 next year I would not be surprised to see him once again force his way into the AB's squad, though he may face stiff competition in the Chiefs from young Kerr-Barlow, who looks to be a player of huge potential.

yeah I agree with most of that Darwin, though I do remember that when Leonard first made the AB's he did make some very impressive runs & breaks. Though since his that first major injury he never really managed to take the limited chances he got at test rugby.

And yeah Elis did make a statement with his goal kicking, though in NZ all you have to do is kick 2-3 in a season and you will set a record hehehe.

Last edited:
Leonard first made the AB's he did make some very impressive runs & breaks.

Brendon is an oppertunist try scorer, a good finisher and support player. He doesnt and hasnt made a break for the ABs yet (trust me Ive been waiting for him to bust out like Piri does). Even in the ITM and Super Rugby, Brendon mainly scores of other peoples breaks which is great but he himself is not much of a line breaker or oppertunity creator like Fourie and Piri are. Yes you do see some individual brilliance from Brendon but hardly ever.

As far as the rest of his game goes he's great, passing, kicking, mobility and defence he's got that sussed. Lets not forget last years tri-nations against South Africa in South Africa (I think it was the second test) where Brendon crumbled and had a real off game, some say many of his bad plays contributed to the All Black loss.

Brendon is an oppertunist try scorer, a good finisher and support player. He doesnt and hasnt made a break for the ABs yet (trust me Ive been waiting for him to bust out like Piri does). Even in the ITM and Super Rugby, Brendon mainly scores of other peoples breaks which is great but he himself is not much of a line breaker or oppertunity creator like Fourie and Piri are. Yes you do see some individual brilliance from Brendon but hardly ever.

As far as the rest of his game goes he's great, passing, kicking, mobility and defence he's got that sussed. Lets not forget last years tri-nations against South Africa in South Africa (I think it was the second test) where Brendon crumbled and had a real off game, some say many of his bad plays contributed to the All Black loss.

To be fair he was penalised three times I think for incorrect feeding of the ball at scrum time, which was no different to any other halfback (and he adjusted his feeding and was still penalised), which would throw a lot of players off their game methinks.

If you're getting penalised for that you shouldn't even be a halfback imo

beep test results time again, interesting results this time.

Conrad Smith was the last man standing and Donald was 2nd
Last forward standing was Richie McCaw followed by Brad Thorn

Sivivatu is out of the tour with a bone fragment loose in his knee ... they aren't calling for a replacement

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=80&objectid=10684087

All Blacks: Sivivatu ruled out of tour
8:43 AM Saturday Oct 30, 2010

Hong Kong - Sitiveni Sivivatu has been ruled out of the All Blacks end of year tour after suffering a knee injury while training with Waikato ahead of tonight's provincial rugby semifinal against Auckland at Eden Park.

The 43-test wing returned to action last week after a five month rehabilitation following shoulder surgery required after the Super 14 ended in May.

Sivivatu has been schedule to fly out to join the team for the Grand Slam leg of the tour in the UK and Ireland straight after the semifinal.

But All Black coach Graham Henry today revealed the 28-year-old had been withdrawn after a scan confirmed the extent of an injury to his left knee.

"It's hugely disappointing for Siti to suffer another injury straight after recovering from his shoulder surgery," Henry said.

"The whole All Blacks squad feels for him and we wish him all the best as he recovers from his latest setback."

Henry said at this stage a replacement for Sivivatu would not join the 29-man squad for the four remaining tests after tonight's final Bledisloe Cup international of the year against the Wallabies at Hong Kong Stadium tonight (9.30pmNZT).

Joe Rokocoko, Cory Jane and Hosea Gear are the wings included in the tour party while utility back Isaia Toeava could also cover the position if required.

All Blacks doctor Deb Robinson said Sivivatu had a scan in Hamilton yesterday which revealed that a bony fragment had come loose in his knee.

"He will see an orthopaedic surgeon over the weekend and may require an arthroscopy," she said.

- NZPA

Very unfortunate for Sivivatu, for this to happen just after coming back from another injury.

I wondered whether they might call up Freuan to the ABs, but then again we already have plenty of wingers on tour. Looks like Gear might finally have a decent chance of getting more gametime.

Very unfortunate for Sivivatu, for this to happen just after coming back from another injury.

I wondered whether they might call up Freuan to the ABs, but then again we already have plenty of wingers on tour. Looks like Gear might finally have a decent chance of getting more gametime.

I'll be interested to see if that 30th squad member isn't called for after the ITM final/English test, and who that will be if they do ... might be Fruean, might be Slade

I'll be interested to see if that 30th squad member isn't called for after the ITM final/English test, and who that will be if they do ... might be Fruean, might be Slade

Might be Ben Smith... ok probably not, but I can dream ;)

Last edited:
Might be Ben Smith... ok probably not, but I can dream ;)

Yeah, I forgot about him ... plays in the centres, wing, and full back ... did pretty well in the sevens, but I guess they would have called for him already if they were going to do it, as he's not involved in the finals ... unless they are undecided between him and other players playing in the final :)

Its gotta be Slade if its anyone. A guy capable of playing firstfive and fullback is what we need for the bench.

Latest posts