• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

All Blacks Team to Face the Wallabies Named.

F

Flux

All Blacks versus Wallabies: 1 Tony Woodcock, 2 Andrew Hore, 3 Neemia Tialata, 4 Brad Thorn, 5 Ali Williams, 6 Jerome Kaino, 7 Richie McCaw ©, 8 Rodney So'oialo, 9 Jimmy Cowan, 10 Stephen Donald, 11 Sitiveni Sivivatu, 12 Daniel Carter, 13 Conrad Smith, 14 Hosea Gear, 15 Mils Muliaina. Reserves: Keven Mealamu, Greg Somerville, Anthony Boric, Adam Thomson, Piri Weepu, Ma'a Nonu, Isaia Toeava.

http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/rugby/news/arti...ges-tour-opener

Surprised to see Nonu dropped to the bench, because him and Conrad were/are forming a very good partnership. In saying that, in the last match against the Wallabies the game was turned on its head when Donald was brought on.

Also surprised to see Hosea Gear getting a start, but good on him. Can't wait to see the Rocketman back in action though.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flux @ Oct 28 2008, 05:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
All Blacks versus Wallabies: 1 Tony Woodcock, 2 Andrew Hore, 3 Neemia Tialata, 4 Brad Thorn, 5 Ali Williams, 6 Jerome Kaino, 7 Richie McCaw ©, 8 Rodney So'oialo, 9 Jimmy Cowan, 10 Stephen Donald, 11 Sitiveni Sivivatu, 12 Daniel Carter, 13 Conrad Smith, 14 Hosea Gear, 15 Mils Muliaina. Reserves: Keven Mealamu, Greg Somerville, Anthony Boric, Adam Thomson, Piri Weepu, Ma'a Nonu, Isaia Toeava.

http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/rugby/news/article/-/5107557/henry-springs-changes-tour-opener

Surprised to see Nonu dropped to the bench, because him and Conrad were/are forming a very good partnership. In saying that, in the last match against the Wallabies the game was turned on its head when Donald was brought on.

Also surprised to see Hosea Gear getting a start, but good on him. Can't wait to see the Rocketman back in action though.[/b]

Whoops, just posted this in another forum.

I was hoping to see Joe start, love watching him rip the Aussies to shreds. Is Donald starting just 'cos of his recent form? I don't get that selection at all, considering it's breaking up the awesome Nonu/Smith combination. Oh well, should be very interesting.

I not a fan of Nonu, he is too hot and cold for me and one dimensional. Most of the time he will run with the ball, occasionally passes and never kicks. They still need a 2nd five that complements at the 1st five, but some one who is dynamic, maybe someone like Jayden Hayward (from Taranaki) is a good prospect for the future.

The ABs still have midfield problems that need to be resolved since Tana Umaga left.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nik @ Oct 28 2008, 05:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I not a fan of Nonu, he is too hot and cold for me and one dimensional. Most of the time he will run with the ball, occasionally passes and never kicks. They still need a 2nd five that complements at the 1st five, but some one who is dynamic, maybe someone like Jayden Hayward (from Taranaki) is a good prospect for the future.

The ABs still have midfield problems that need to be resolved since Tana Umaga left.[/b]

I agree to some extent, that's why I really wanted to see Tim Bateman included in the 35 man squad.

I can't stand Nonu anymore even thou I'm Wellington born and breed he's just too crap and I also think that someone like Hayward or Bateman would better suit the 2nd 5 position more than Nonu.

I'm rapt to see Hosea Gear get a start on the right wing hope he can play good against the Wallabies wouldn't expect too much from him being his debut. Wonder what they're up to putting Donald in and pushing Carter out to 2nd 5 maybe they've noticed they can't afford to put Nonu there and wanna make sure Carter does enough before subbing Nonu on.

to give them both gametime maybe? neither have played for a good while now it is still very puzzling though since nonu and smith seemed to have formed a good partnership. good to see hosea gear getting a start he's been in fine form and will e a big unknown to the aussies.

Carter at 12?? Is this a good move?

and who's Neemia Tialata? Another prop whos gonna destroy Dunning?

Nonu hasn't looked great in the ANZ Cup, even when paired with Smith, although Donald hasn't exactly played alot there either.

Tialata will indeed waste Dunning.

Carter at 12???? This reminds me of his early AB years playing outside of Carlos....he wasn't that good at all there as an inside centre.....he looked a bit confused on what to do.

Perhaps Carter and Donald will be changing around and playing left first five/right first five from the ruck....similar to Rugby leagues left and right centres? Therefore the Wallabies will look up from each ruck and see Carter on one side and Donald on the other and be confused as to where the ball is going?

All in all it seems like an experiment.....strange that Henry is still using big games to experiment with players. If there is one thing that is predictable about the AB's it is the fact that nothing is predictable under Henry.

Donald I have always thought was a gumby player....even though I support Counties and the Chiefs I have always seen Donald as someone who looked unco as a first five.

BTW I have high hopes for Hosea Gear to do well on the wing and to eventually be the AB centre one day many years from now.

Haha, GG, you crack me up.

You're assuming Gear is even going to be in the squad at Winger next year.

He plays like a rugby league winger....if he were to be an AB rugby winger he would have to get a bit more explosive off the mark.  So the next best place for him would be to learn the art of centre.  He has the physical presence...but the skills may be a bit lacking...who knows?  It would be a steep learning curve but I see his future as a winger limited because he is not of the unbelievable winger pace that Sivi or Joe at times may possess.  I think his best shot to hold an AB spot in the long term future would be at centre. 

Or....he may surprise us all and own the 14 jersey this Saturday.

Ahh good on yeah Hosea! big ups on a great season!

Mils is starting? i heard on the news Henry and co were awaiting his call for Mils to join them in HK. It would've been bad as for Jane to debut in the no.15 jersey along side Hosea.

Interesting to put Carter in at 12. I've never been a fan of outhalves moving outside, but placing the best out half in the world into the 12 slot seems a little (just a little) daft. I suppose it'll give the understudy a bit of game time with a re-assuring presence outside him, but Henry cant seriously be experimenting with Carter at 12 as the long term option for the AB's. Surely things arent that bad, are they?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nik @ Oct 28 2008, 04:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I not a fan of Nonu, he is too hot and cold for me and one dimensional. Most of the time he will run with the ball, occasionally passes and never kicks.[/b]

The man seems like Mike Tindall down to a tee, but then for every Tindall there must be a Greenwood, a brain the balance the out and out brawn. To be fair, Nonu hasn't done anything incredibly silly and New Zealand have gotten by with him in the team so therefore it must therefore be a case of merely seeing what brain would be best suited to pair up with him to balance out the brawn ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (candybum @ Oct 28 2008, 09:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Mils is starting? i heard on the news Henry and co were awaiting his call for Mils to join them in HK. It would've been bad as for Jane to debut in the no.15 jersey along side Hosea.[/b]

His wife has had the baby. Mils isn't in HK yet though, I guess he'll arrive in the next few days.

I don't like or strongly dislike Nonu, but I really do like his partnership with Conrad Smith. The backline seems to function best when Smith is in there because he has a very good rugby brain.

However, I don't think that putting Carter back to where he started is that bad an idea. The All Blacks desperately need more kicking options, and he could probably find even more space with just that little bit more time. Like everyone else has already said, I do expect them to bring some variety into their positioning.

I'm a little gutted for Corey Jane; the guy's dangerous and would add yet another attacking threat to the backline.
He's a really exciting prospect and i would have loved to see him against Australia.

I'm just thinking - like all you others - what direction this game will end up going with Carter at inside centre?
How will the kicking game be played? I wish i knew what kind of a player Donald was, but i have not seen anything of him.

What the frack is up with that midfield....

On a side-note...I thought Somerville and carter were set to join their NH clubs by now?....the Heineken cup and all

Carter's not leaving until after this tour, and Sommerville is simply covering due to injuries.

Henry's said that this isn't a long term option for the ABs, it's just that neither player has had much gametime and this way they can both play and give Donald some valuable experience at test level.

Latest posts