• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

All Blacks to Return

W

William18

EXCLUSIVE: AARON Mauger could be back in New Zealand and playing for the All Blacks again in time for the 2011 World Cup.

The 45-test All Black has been playing for Leicester Tigers in the English Premiership since the last World Cup.

But last night he signalled that if his body holds up, he could return to New Zealand next year.

Mauger is still only 28 years old and at his peak as a rugby player. A player of his class and experience would be a huge asset to the All Blacks coaches in their bid to win the World Cup in two years.

Mauger had a back injury recently but has revealed, if his body is good, a return to New Zealand is on the cards.

"It depends on how well I feel the body is holding up. But if my form is good, it's something I'd definitely consider," Mauger told Sunday News from his home in Leicester.

"It's going to be a pretty awesome event that's going to be staged in New Zealand. If I felt I could give it 100%, then I'd consider going back.

"The club have been very good over here and there is family to consider, too. But at the moment it's summer time and it's pouring with rain, so it's not enticing me to stay.

"We miss that part of having a decent summer back in New Zealand. But there's lots of stuff to consider over the next six months."

It was a crucial mistake made by the All Blacks coaches in the World Cup 2007 quarterfinal to leave Mauger out of the team. When a cool head was needed in the last 15 minutes against France in Cardiff, there was none to be found with Mauger watching from the stands.

While Ma'a Nonu has played well at second-five for the All Blacks, he is still to develop a kicking game and can play a number of positions in the backline, while Luke McAlister has offered little other than goal-kicking since his return.

Mauger has been made vice captain of Leicester for the upcoming English season, in recognition of his leadership qualities and excellent form last season.

Mauger revealed he has stayed in regular contact with the All Blacks coaches during his time in England. "I keep in touch," he said.

"I got on really well with guys like Steve [Hansen] and Wayne [Smith]. I talked to Smithy a few times early on, he was just ringing to see how I was getting on really.

"I haven't really talked much rugby, it's been personal stuff.

"They're guys that have helped me out through my career and they're pretty influential. I talk to them mostly out of respect and friendship but those talks might develop down the line and in the next few months we'll see."
Ad Feedback

Meanwhile, Doug Howlett has not given up hope of playing in the 2011 World Cup. The former All Black's deal with Munster expires at the end of the season and he has to decide whether to stay in Ireland.

"Obviously the World Cup is a huge draw but it would have to be a family decision," he told an Irish newspaper. "Being away from it for a while you wonder whether you would be good enough to get back in (the New Zealand squad).

"I'm off contract at the end of the season, so there are opportunities to get back and stake a claim."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sunday-news/sport/2...yes-2011-return

He would have to work hard to make the team! We have plenty of young talent in New Zealand.

It kind of annoys me that all these players are buggering off and filling their pockets with money and then having the cheek to talk about coming back in an attempt to get selected for the WC.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flux @ Aug 16 2009, 01:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
It kind of annoys me that all these players are buggering off and filling their pockets with money and then having the cheek to talk about coming back in an attempt to get selected for the WC.[/b]
That's why we shouldn't let them straight back into the team.

I'm a Wellington fan but I'd rather have Mauger in 2nd 5 rather than Nonu I just don't know what it is I just cringe everytime Nonu hasn't got the ball because his defence is craphouse.

It's not that bad. I am not a big fan of nonu's handling, however I think he one of the biggest weapons we have on attack.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (William18 @ Aug 16 2009, 08:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flux @ Aug 16 2009, 01:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It kind of annoys me that all these players are buggering off and filling their pockets with money and then having the cheek to talk about coming back in an attempt to get selected for the WC.[/b]
That's why we shouldn't let them straight back into the team.
[/b][/quote]

McAlister being the case in point... oh wait.

I can see the NZRU looking for similar loop holes to get Mauger in the team.

If he's better than what you've got?
I'm sure you'd snap anyone's hand off if they offered you Hayman, Jack and Kelleher back right now. You f***ing need them!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Aug 17 2009, 08:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
If he's better than what you've got?
I'm sure you'd snap anyone's hand off if they offered you Hayman, Jack and Kelleher back right now. You f***ing need them![/b]
I wouldn't support them coming straight into the team. If they played a season in the S14 and showed they had the goods then sure I would pick them.

Chris Jack is returning to New Zealand to play for Tasman. Him, Williams and Mealamu will maybe make a much better lineout then what we have at the moment.

yep no doubt....as soon as Jack sets foot in the country he's an All Black

I think we are alright for locks to be honest. Jack will struggle to make the crusaders XV

Brad Thorn and Ali Williams are both world class, Isaac Ross is showing alot of promise. Then we have Donnelly, Bekuis, Thrush, Evans, Haiu and Craig Clarke. All of whom i wouldnt mind seeing in a black jersey.

In my opinion, the problem with the lineouts rests soley on Andrew Hores shoulders. Im from Taranaki and i have to admit that he has always been a terrible lineout thrower.

In last years ANZC, Hore got alot of gametime. The locks were Jason Eaton -an all black- and Craig Clarke -who was awesome for the chiefs-. Yet they had the worst lineout percentage in the comp. worse then manawatu and counties.

Hore just cant throw its that simple.

If anyone should be rushed in, its one of the southern hookers.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danger @ Sep 17 2009, 12:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I think we are alright for locks to be honest. Jack will struggle to make the crusaders XV

Brad Thorn and Ali Williams are both world class, Isaac Ross is showing alot of promise. Then we have Donnelly, Bekuis, Thrush, Evans, Haiu and Craig Clarke. All of whom i wouldnt mind seeing in a black jersey.

In my opinion, the problem with the lineouts rests soley on Andrew Hores shoulders. Im from Taranaki and i have to admit that he has always been a terrible lineout thrower.

In last years ANZC, Hore got alot of gametime. The locks were Jason Eaton -an all black- and Craig Clarke -who was awesome for the chiefs-. Yet they had the worst lineout percentage in the comp. worse then manawatu and counties.

Hore just cant throw its that simple.

If anyone should be rushed in, its one of the southern hookers.[/b]
Jack struggling to make the Crusaders? I haven't seen much of him since he has been overseas but if he plays like he used to he will be straight back in the side. I agree that we have plenty of depth in the locks, I just don't think they are being used right.

You put the blame for the lineouts on Hore and I find that interesting. I blame Hansen. I honestly do not know what on earth he does for the team. The All Blacks have a scrum coach and it is pretty hard to teach the breakdown so Hansen's main job should be the lineouts. Yet, the lineouts have always looked poor. They are a complete shambles and the team just looks lost when they through they ball in. I think communication is a big factor as well.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (William18 @ Sep 17 2009, 04:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Jack struggling to make the Crusaders? I haven't seen much of him since he has been overseas but if he plays like he used to he will be straight back in the side. I agree that we have plenty of depth in the locks, I just don't think they are being used right.

You put the blame for the lineouts on Hore and I find that interesting. I blame Hansen. I honestly do not know what on earth he does for the team. The All Blacks have a scrum coach and it is pretty hard to teach the breakdown so Hansen's main job should be the lineouts. Yet, the lineouts have always looked poor. They are a complete shambles and the team just looks lost when they through they ball in. I think communication is a big factor as well.[/b]

Jack was pretty average in England.. hes been playing much better at Western Province though. Hes pretty old now remember..

And yeah i think he will be warming the Crusader bench. Who are you going to drop? Thorn? the hardest working and best performed tight forward in the country. or Ross, the future of NZ tight forward rugby?

I think Chris Jack will come back into the All Blacks provided Ali Williams is out.

And yeah i agree about Hansen. the bloke played in the backs after all, i was wrong in saying the blame was solely with Hore, what i should have said is that we cant change that Hansen is the coach (for the time being) so the only way to improve the lineout is by changing the players. Ross is perfectly adequate, but Hore cant hit a barn door. Maybe if we had John Eales and Sean Fitzpatrick coaching the forwards we could persist with Hore, but we dont. the man he has to go.

Chris Jack left the country as one of the worlds best locks. Not only is he good in the lineouts but he attacks well too. It'll be interesting to see if hes still got it, which I'm hoping he has.
Theres a number of things wrong with the lineout Hore's throwing, predictabillity, poor option (going long/short), Ian Jones pointed out Matfield's 1.2 metre postioning oh and of course Botha/Matfield are the best lineout jumpers in the lineout world. I think there's a number of things that go wrong here and there, when they fix one thing something else will go wrong and thats all because of the pressure Botha/Matfield put on our locks.
Brad Thorn I read in the paper said that Hansen was the mastermind for last years lineout and their was no problem's last year which is true. Thorn feels that they just need to cope with the pressure and that they are up against good lineout jumpers in Matfield/Botha.
Issac Ross is great talent but I'd like to see Jack take on Matfield/Botha. Jack/Botha/Matfield have experience over Ross. Thorn you cant leave him out of the all blacks, he has to be in there somewhere.
All Blacks should also try to avoid the ball going out when Matfield/Botha are playing, especially in their own half. Due to an unreliable lineout prevention is the best cure.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Randwick Kingfisher @ Sep 17 2009, 05:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Chris Jack left the country as one of the worlds best locks. Not only is he good in the lineouts but he attacks well too. It'll be interesting to see if hes still got it, which I'm hoping he has.
Theres a number of things wrong with the lineout Hore's throwing, predictabillity, poor option (going long/short), Ian Jones pointed out Matfield's 1.2 metre postioning oh and of course Botha/Matfield are the best lineout jumpers in the lineout world. I think there's a number of things that go wrong here and there, when they fix one thing something else will go wrong and thats all because of the pressure Botha/Matfield put on our locks.
Brad Thorn I read in the paper said that Hansen was the mastermind for last years lineout and their was no problem's last year which is true. Thorn feels that they just need to cope with the pressure and that they are up against good lineout jumpers in Matfield/Botha.
Issac Ross is great talent but I'd like to see Jack take on Matfield/Botha. Jack/Botha/Matfield have experience over Ross. Thorn you cant leave him out of the all blacks, he has to be in there somewhere.
All Blacks should also try to avoid the ball going out when Matfield/Botha are playing, especially in their own half. Due to an unreliable lineout prevention is the best cure.[/b]

Luke McAllister was one of the worlds best when he left.. and he came back a huge waste of space. I for one thought Jack was getting worse when he left anyway. he was still a top player but he didnt seem like the Jack of old. In 2007 my prefered combination was Keith Robinson and Ali Williams.

And Victor Matfield is the best lineout jumper in the world no doubt, but Bakkies is nothing to be afraid of at lineout time. His primary role is around the field, you barley see him leave the 2 spot. I think we just have to avoid Matfield. The back of the lineout should be an option as Kaino is a handy operator, but Hores shitty throwing coupled with Pierre Spies and Juan Smith being better takes that option out.

I also take what Brad Thorn says with a grain of salt, hes our Bakkies ie,Not that great at lineout time. If he was we wouldnt be forced to have Ross call the lineouts. Im fairly sure that last years lineout was more a result of Ali Williams being an awesome lineout exponent than Hansens coaching. Ali was always better in the air then Jack in my opinion. It also helped that we had a guy of the experience and skill of Williams calling the lineout. Ross is just a rookie FFS.

I think the answer is the opposite, to take on the boks at lineout time, but on our terms. Line up our best jumper against Botha every time and keep Matfield out of the game. Less trickery as well, they keep moving their pods all over the place, the Saffas react with mild amusement as the ABs just manage to make themselves dizzy. We cant just try and not let the ball go out.. once the All Blacks show they are scared of a lineout the Saffas will jump all over it. and if there is anything a Springbok team can do, its kick.

geez some good points their danger...and point(s) taken..
it'll be sad to rule out Hore out of the AB's cos of his lineout throwing, Im hoping he can get on top of that and so do the rest of us I suppose.

I'm sure Hore would love the old days when they got wingers to throw in to the lineout :lol: :lol:

Latest posts