All blacks trio re-sign with chiefs

Amobokoboko

Waikato Junglist
Country Flag
Belgium
Club or Nation
Chiefs
[h=1]ALL BLACKS TRIO RE-SIGN WITH CHIEFS[/h]21 August 2013

[h=3]Liam Messam, Sam Cane and Tawera Kerr-Barlow have all re-signed with the Chiefs and New Zealand Rugby until 2015[/h][TABLE="width: 0"]
<tbody style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; outline-width: 0px; outline-style: initial; outline-color: initial; font-size: 13px; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: transparent; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial; ">[TR="bgcolor: transparent"]
[TD="bgcolor: transparent, colspan: 2"]All Blacks Liam Messam, Sam Cane and Tawera Kerr-Barlow have all re-signed with New Zealand Rugby and their Chiefs franchise through until 2015.

The re-signing of the trio is a continuing boost for New Zealand Rugby with a large group of players now committed through to the Rugby World Cup year and beyond.

29-year-old loose forward Messam, who this year co-captained the Chiefs to back to back victories in the Investec Super Rugby Competition, said his decision to re-sign was easy to make: "It was the right time and place for my family to stay. I love playing my rugby for the Chiefs as well as the All Blacks and there is no other place I'd want to be right now than here in New Zealand."

21-year-old fellow loosie Sam Cane added: "I am a proud Chiefs man and also love wearing the black jersey and playing for my country. The coaching staffs and group of guys I play with in both teams certainly makes the future very exciting."

23-year-old halfback Tawera Kerr-Barlow said. "Being part of the All Blacks is a dream come true but I know I have to work hard to maintain my spot, firstly in the Chiefs and to push for further opportunities in the All Blacks. I have access to the best coaches in the world and am really enjoying all the environments that the variety of New Zealand rugby offers. I still have a lot to learn and feel this is the best place for me to do that."

All Blacks Head Coach Steve Hansen said: "The three players are outstanding men all in their own right and all bring something special to the group. Liam is a natural leader and key member of the All Blacks, while Sam and Tawera have also impressed us since coming into the All Blacks in the past two years. We congratulate all three on making a commitment to New Zealand Rugby."

Chiefs coach Dave Rennie is rapt to have the trio recommit to his side going forward.

"Liam is an incredibly inspirational and passionate Chiefs man who has had a massive impact on our group of men, while Sam and Tawera are two terrific young men who have been a big part of the success at the Chiefs over the last couple of years. At such a young age they have already won two Investec Super Rugby ***les, played for the All Blacks and are a key part of the Chiefs future.

Liam Messam has played 23 Tests for the All Blacks, 114 matches for the Chiefs, and 84 games for his Waikato province. Sam Cane has played eight Tests for the All Blacks, 40 matches for the Chiefs and 14 games for Bay of Plenty. Tawera Kerr-Barlow has played five Tests for the All Blacks, 41 matches for the Chiefs and 36 games for Waikato

[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Interesting to note that Matt Symons is English, particularly given the silly comments made by a couple Kiwi posters on a previous thread when Tamati Ellison signed with the Rebels :)

Sooo...the Chiefs taking the Super Rugby crown again next year, too?

das

Sooo...the Chiefs taking the Super Rugby crown again next year, too?

das

Wouldn't be surprised at all!

If they can add SBW to the roster their chance gets even greater!

Craig Clarke will be a big loss but from what I can see pretty much all of the rest of the key players on their roster will be coming back.

Wouldn't be surprised at all!

If they can add SBW to the roster their chance gets even greater!

Craig Clarke will be a big loss but from what I can see pretty much all of the rest of the key players on their roster will be coming back.

I wish they'd sign Nonu and give some other teams a chance at the big prize. ;)

das

Three very good examples of why the Chiefs are the Super Rugby champs 2 years running! Very good recruitment!!

Sorry, just to clarify, referring to the signings of Symons, Squire, and Lowe

Last edited:
This Chiefs squad has now definitely become a professional a team, just looking at where all the players come from... It's both disappointing and exciting, because it means better players are playing, but that local representation has all but gone out the window.

Props
Afeaki - Harbour - Blues
Manu - Auckland - Blues
Tameifuna - Waikato (Hawke's Bay) - Chiefs (Hurricanes)
Mackintosh - Southland - Highlanders

Hookers
Elliot - Counties (Hawke's Bay) - Chiefs (Hurricanes)
Schwalger - Counties - Chiefs
Marshall - Taranaki - Hurricanes

Locks
Retallick - Bay of Plenty (Hawke's Bay) - Chiefs (Hurricanes)
Fitzgerald - Manawatu - Hurricanes
Symons - Canterbury - Crusaders

Loose Forwards
Messam - Waikato (finally!) - Chiefs
Cane - Bay of Plenty - Chiefs
Crosswell - Manawatu - Hurricanes
Latimer - Bay of Plenty - Chiefs
Squire - Tasman - Crusaders

Halfbacks
Kerr-Barlow - Waikato (number 2!) - Chiefs
Pulu - Counties - Chiefs

First Fives
Cruden - Manawatu - Hurricanes
Anscombe - Auckland - Blues

Centres
Aki - Counties - Chiefs
Ngatai - Wellington - Hurricanes
Horrell - Hawke's Bay - Hurricanes

Outside Backs
Robinson - Southland - Highlanders
Nanai-Williams - Counties - Chiefs
Lowe - Tasman - Crusaders
Marshall - Tasman - Crusaders
Tikoirotuma - Manawatu - Hurricanes

It's funny, this kind of gives an indication of what the Hurricanes could (should) have been like, had Rennie headed there instead of to the Chiefs.

its all to do with the Drawing power of Renee and Smith, that is what has attracted so many good players. Renee's experience and contact with U20 players and being able to bring them into the chiefs combined with Smiths reputation as a top level international coach. Who wouldn't want to be at the chiefs.

For me as a chiefs supporter the success is great but with each passing year as the number of chiefs region players in the squad drops like a lead brick in a vacuum I kinda feel my bond with the team fading. What made me such a big chiefs fan was seeing the epic 2006 Waikato players transition to super rugby then the All Blacks, Now Liam Messam is the only one of that group still with the chiefs.

The First thing Renee did with the Chiefs squad was tell Stephen Donald and aled de malmanche they were no longer required - two all blacks, two of Waikatos best players, arguably two of the chiefs most loyal and hard working players. And replaced then with His Manuatu & U20s 10 and a hooker who was not even a Kiwi.

People Bag Ian Foster for his lack of success for the chiefs but he coached the them through to the final in 2009 using a squad with 17 waikato players and only 5 players not from the chiefs region. He picked local players, and never had the pulling power of Renee & Smith. Chiefs would have done a lot better under foster if he had recruited outside to strengthen the weak areas during that time - tight 5 and 12.

yeah look at the squad for 2014... 2 waikato players so far.

Unfortunately Waikato hasn't really produced anyone great lately, and of course that means they aren't picked for Super Rugby and don't develop so it's a bit of a cycle.

I think Donald would've been heading overseas regardless of Rennie moving into the Chiefs. de Malmanche was a liability as a hooker.

its all to do with the Drawing power of Renee and Smith, that is what has attracted so many good players. Renee's experience and contact with U20 players and being able to bring them into the chiefs combined with Smiths reputation as a top level international coach. Who wouldn't want to be at the chiefs.

For me as a chiefs supporter the success is great but with each passing year as the number of chiefs region players in the squad drops like a lead brick in a vacuum I kinda feel my bond with the team fading. What made me such a big chiefs fan was seeing the epic 2006 Waikato players transition to super rugby then the All Blacks, Now Liam Messam is the only one of that group still with the chiefs.

The First thing Renee did with the Chiefs squad was tell Stephen Donald and aled de malmanche they were no longer required - two all blacks, two of Waikatos best players, arguably two of the chiefs most loyal and hard working players. And replaced then with His Manuatu & U20s 10 and a hooker who was not even a Kiwi.

People Bag Ian Foster for his lack of success for the chiefs but he coached the them through to the final in 2009 using a squad with 17 waikato players and only 5 players not from the chiefs region. He picked local players, and never had the pulling power of Renee & Smith. Chiefs would have done a lot better under foster if he had recruited outside to strengthen the weak areas during that time - tight 5 and 12.

yeah look at the squad for 2014... 2 waikato players so far.

I do see your point re so many outside players and hence losing a bit of the bond with the team. The bit I question regarding your post is how much this has to do with the "drawing power" of Rennie and Smith??

I mean, have they really brought in that many players of note? It's not like they have poached a bunch of All Blacks right?

Of course there is Cruden, and they did get SBW, but other than that: Tikoirotuma, Marshall, Crosswell, Fitzgerald, Anscome, Horrell to name a few....

And now for next year: Mackintosh, Lowe, Squire and Symons

You see what I mean? I think most of these guys may not have even gotten Super Rugby contracts if it weren't for the Chiefs picking them up. It's not like they are drawing big names away from other franchises....For example out of this years quartet, not a single one had a Super contact right?

What do you think? I'm no expert on the Chiefs so interested to hear how you feel.

Unfortunately Waikato hasn't really produced anyone great lately, and of course that means they aren't picked for Super Rugby and don't develop so it's a bit of a cycle.

I think Donald would've been heading overseas regardless of Rennie moving into the Chiefs. de Malmanche was a liability as a hooker.

64 - 28 v Tasman last night speaks volumes about where Waikato is at. Granted they were fielding a very inexperienced side...but 64 -28?? mmmmm

64 - 28 v Tasman last night speaks volumes about where Waikato is at. Granted they were fielding a very inexperienced side...but 64 -28?? mmmmm

I don't think you can look too much into last night's game, given there were 11 players in the team who'd played 5 or fewer matches (4 débuts) and only five who'd played over 20.

When you're missing Mitchell, Tameifuna, vant Leven, Grice, Willison and Mikkelson you're going to perform considerably worse.

I do see your point re so many outside players and hence losing a bit of the bond with the team. The bit I question regarding your post is how much this has to do with the "drawing power" of Rennie and Smith??

there are a few, dont need many to make a big difference

Retalick & Tamiafuna - U20 contacts through Renee, Retalick on his own has been astronomical for the chiefs
SBW was obviously massive and you can be sure Wayne Smith had a big part to play in his signing.
There are others that may not be so obvious Charlie Ngatai and Robbie Robinson are two more I believe fit into this category

I don't think you can look too much into last night's game, given there were 11 players in the team who'd played 5 or fewer matches (4 débuts) and only five who'd played over 20.

When you're missing Mitchell, Tameifuna, vant Leven, Grice, Willison and Mikkelson you're going to perform considerably worse.

Yes you are right, but my point was that Waikato teams of the past didn't get smashed up by Tasman!

How about just looking at their season then for something a bit more indicative of where they are at - so far played 8 won 2.....

They have significantly fallen away. I've watched them several times this year and been extremely disappointed. The only game I've see of their in which I thought they played well was against Auckland, otherwise, quite frankly I think they have been rubbish, just like they were last night against Tasman!

no way would don have left otherwise, sure Aled had improvements to make at line out time but he was arguably the best hooker in NZ otherwise. No front rower in NZ ran or tackled with the Energy Aled did.
Hard to say what motivated Renee to drop him, Aled had a very good off field reputation I think most coaches would have backed themselves to improve his line out work or find someone who could.

there are a few, dont need many to make a big difference

Retalick & Tamiafuna - U20 contacts through Renee, Retalick on his own has been astronomical for the chiefs
SBW was obviously massive and you can be sure Wayne Smith had a big part to play in his signing.
There are others that may not be so obvious Charlie Ngatai and Robbie Robinson are two more I believe fit into this category

OK, I agree with that, but it seems that is an entirely different point than what you were making before.

I thought you were saying the reason the Chiefs are stacked full of players outside the region is because of the pulling power of Rennie and Co - this last comment is more to do with their success.

My point is that the Chiefs have many outside players because Rennie is just bloody good at spotting talent, he has a fantastic rugby brain, and knows how to put a winning team together.

I know people are going to bag be for this but.... Apart from a few games, Waikato have been absolutely crap since Donald Left. With an All Black 10 they were regular finalists, without him they will struggle to stay in the top tier. I mean where is Christie in the national 10 pecking order? Or even just the ITM cup pecking order? 12th - 15th best 10 in ITM cup?

Latest posts