• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

All Blacks vs Springboks, July 10th 2010

Dizzy

First XV
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Hurricanes
I know it's an entire week away but what are ya'll thoughts on the game.
Who will be most impressive?, Any final score predictions?

Even though South Africa look like the stronger team. I really think the Men In Black are going to pull it off. And i'm gonna say 33-31 to the All Blacks...

Thanks for opening the topic!!! I cannot hold it any longer. I want to talk about this game! I am very impressed with the Boks lately. Their amazing win over France shows that they are in top form. I expect a win for the Boks but games between the Boks and the AB's can always go either way.

My prediction is:

New Zealand 23 - 31 South Africa

but look at france's loss to argentina frnace might not be the best gauge of the boks form
i think a close game all blacks to win by under 7

Im looking very much forward to this. I reckon it will be a close affair.

This is gonna be great. I don't know who'll come out on top but I'm expecting a top, top game.

Last edited by a moderator:
haha i have used that video before somewhere ..its magnificent...

and i reckon the all blacks might snatch this one...7 pts win methinks

and refering back to Mr T ...the a team movie has been made...without him...and i for one am disgusted at that

Thanks for opening the topic!!! I cannot hold it any longer. I want to talk about this game! I am very impressed with the Boks lately. Their amazing win over France shows that they are in top form. I expect a win for the Boks but games between the Boks and the AB's can always go either way.

My prediction is:

New Zealand 23 - 31 South Africa

hmmm very good prediction

Well, this game will be very interesting in my opinion.

On one hand, both teams have had a great June series. I'd say based on thje June series, there is not much in it between the teams. I can't see this being a repeat of last year because both Dan Carter and Richie McCaw are back and on form, while SA have lost Fourie du Preez. While SA have an advantage at the lineout, I back a Woodcock/Ben Franks scrum to better the South African's scrum. The loose forwards will be interesting. South Africa have plenty of depth in the loose forwards and a comination of Burger, Lowe and Spies looks impressive. New Zealand would be best off with starting Vito, McCaw and Ried which is a pretty decent combo, and both McCaw and Ried and in great form, so I think it will come down to how well Vito performs. It's not as much of a gap between the loose forwards as several SA believe, however while the quality of the loose forwards is simular, SA does seem to have a bit more depth atm. NZ shoiuld only hope Liam Messam does not get much time on the field, as he is a messy player.

For the first time in a while, I'd say NZ have an advantage over SA at scrum half, with du Preez done, I'll take Jimmy over Ricky, although I do rate Ricky highly.

The best rugby battle on the day will be DANIEL CARTER vs MORNE STEYN. This will be one hell of a match up, as Carter has found some form again, while Steyn is also firing. This will be the best Tri Nations contest I think I've ever seen.

In the wings, I'd say NZ is perhaps a little bit more lucky, although Aplon is in hot form and Habana is Habana. I think if NZ have Joe Rokocoko and Cory Jane on the the wings then we'll be fine, but Hosea Gear would have made NZ a brilliant attacking team.

In the centres, I like Nonu and Smith over any other centre combination, however a de Jongh and Fourie would be good. I don't think de Villiers is still as lethal as he once was, so I'd make the change.

At fullback, you could pick Israel Dagg, Mils or Cory Jane and still do better than Kirshner. NZ has too much talent in the back 3, that just to pick them is hard enough, but Kirshner is going to put up a load of up-and-unders, which Mils and Jane can field all day.

Anyway, I'll say AB's to win by 7 points, but who knows, maybe this South African confidence will produce a great win.

That is my very messy thoughts on the upcoming game.

P.S How can you say something is a very good prediction before the game has been played? lol.

Last edited:
It will be a close game, after having a look a both squads I reckon SA is a bit stronger but the AB's play at home so that's always an extra motivation.
I hope the AB's win it :)

Let me be clear that my predicition is based on my heart, not my head ;) In fact it could be a lot closer than 23-31. It could even be a win for the All Blacks. Just because we beat them 3 times last year in the Tri-Nations, doesn't mean we will do it again this year (Although I freakin hope so haha).

The strength of the Springboks will be with the superb kicking of Morne Steyn. It's a shame we don't have Francois Steyn in the squad for some 50 or 60 metre penalties but no worries from the SA side.

Du Preez can't play but we have Ricky Januarie for that. Also the injury of Bismarck du Plessis is a loss the squad of the Springboks can handle.

I expect a lot from Gio Aplon. He is on the top of his form and in the tests against France and Wales he was one of the biggest surprises for me. The line-outs are a piece of cake. Not worried about that. The scrums however, can be a slight problem.

I think it's very likely the game will be decided on e dropgoal or penalty kick. I hope Ruan Pienaar and Ryan Kankowski will get a chance against the All Blacks to show everybody what they can do.

I have a feeling that the All Blacks will win. I dunno if it will be be close, but definitely feeling an AB win on the way.

haha i have used that video before somewhere ..its magnificent...

and i reckon the all blacks might snatch this one...7 pts win methinks

and refering back to Mr T ...the a team movie has been made...without him...and i for one am disgusted at that

Off-topic quickly, the "A-Team" was actually surprisingly good. I recommend it!

Anywho, I watched all the June tests for the Springboks and the All Blacks and I gotta say, Wales seemed like the better opposition than Italy or France. Especially in the second test, Wales fought very hard, yet the All Blacks still won. Italy's first test had some potential, but they seemed to lose it during the second test and France never really got into any sort of rhythm.

With that said, I think the All Blacks will end the game victorious, but I don't expect a huge margin. Maybe a nine-point spread, simply because I think the game will come to down to Steyn and Carter's boot.

Any ideas about the line-up on both ends?

My guess for the Springbok line-up:

1. Tendai 'Beast' Mtawarira
2. John Smit
3. Jannie du Plessis
4. Bakkies Botha
5. Victor Matfield
6. Schalk Burger
7. Danie Rossouw
8. Pierre Spies
9. Ricky Januarie
10. Morne Steyn
11. Bryan Habana
12. Jean de Villiers
13. Jaque Fourie
14. Gio Aplon
15. Ruan Pienaar

If we had Fourie du Preez and Francois Steyn playing, i would put everything i have on a clean sweep. Unfortunately though, du Preez is injured, and the coach hates Steyn. Meh.

Can anyone explain to me why Steyn is not in the squad? I've noticed this before that players that play in Europe for instance, are ignored for the Springboks... Unbelievable

Because the coach thinks he is off form due to the league he plays in being of a sub-par nature. It's really just a cover though. P Divvy and Steyn are fighting...

That might be true, but why did other players got left out of the Springbok-squad in the past when they played overseas?

Latest posts