• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

All Blacks Watch - Week 4

TRF Mr Fish

Your Piscine Overlord
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
It wasn’t a good week for the New Zealand teams. I think you’d struggle to find another weekend where two South African teams both won in New Zealand. That being said, there were some good individual performances from NZ players.

Hookers

Dane Coles (Hurricanes) â€" Likely
Coles was quiet against the Crusaders, and suffered what looked like a potentially long term injury. Post-game scans show that it is not as bad as first thought, which is good for Coles and the Hurricanes. His place in the All Blacks could come under threat in the future with Hika Elliot performing well.

Ben Funnell (Crusaders) â€" Very Unlikely
Todd Blackadder doesn’t seem to have faith in Funnell, as yet, only giving the young hooker ten minutes against the Hurricanes. Though Funnell is a promising player for the future, it is looking like 2013 may be a year too early.

Hika Elliot (Chiefs) â€" Even
After a very average performance last week, Elliot had a strong performance off the bench in Cape Town this weekend. He was robust with the ball on attack, carrying well, and sometimes taking two or three players to bring him down. These are the kinds of performances Elliot needs to deliver week after week.

The other hooker to offer a sound performance this week was Motu Matu’u (Hurricanes) who also suffered a small injury. Depending on how Coles progresses, Matu’u may find himself starting next week. In the meantime Jason Rutledge has been called into the Hurricanes squad. Rhys Marshall (Chiefs) could find himself on the plane to South Africa if Mahonri Schwalger has not recovered from a minor injury. Quentin Macdonald (Blues) failed to impress in his first start of the season.

Props

Ben Franks (Hurricanes) â€" Even
Franks probably has the upper hand over Crockett at the moment for the extra loose head spot. Scrums were quite even in the Hurricanes/Crusaders match, and Ben matched younger brother Owen in all areas of play.

Wyatt Crockett (Crusaders) â€" Even
Crockett was solid on defence against the Hurricanes, making all his nine attempted tackles. He was penalised a couple of times, something which many of the Crusaders were guilty of. Questions remain over his scrimmaging technique, which referees tend to not look upon favourably.

Ben Afeaki (Chiefs) â€" Likely
Afeaki continues to impress for the Chiefs. He carried the ball with vigour and made a huge number of tackles for a prop (12 in all). If his form continues he will be a shoe in for the June squad, as neither Owen Franks nor Charlie Faumuina are demanding the starting tight head jersey.

Locks

As Anthony Boric (Blues) continues to work towards playing for the main squad in the coming weeks, Dominic Bird (Crusaders) had his first start and played like a seasoned pro. He is definitely a player for the future. Luke Romano should be back within a couple of weeks so it’s unlikely his squad place will be threatened.

Loose Forwards

Brad Shields (Hurricanes) â€" Even
Shields did his chances a world of good on Friday, putting in his best performance to date. He was physical on attack, making the most metres on attack of any forward on the pitch, and also tackled well. Ironically, as soon as Shields starts playing in the correct position Luatua is moved back to the base of the scrum…

Matt Todd (Crusaders) â€" Unlikely
Todd offered some strong defensive mongrel on Friday but his chances are probably fading at the moment. This is partially due to the fact that he is stuck between being a Liam Gill-like fetcher, and a more physical carrier such as Richie McCaw or Sam Cane. It would be a surprise to see Todd picked ahead of Luke Braid, and the chances of either being picked are probably slim as it is.

Luke Braid (Blues) â€" Even
Braid continues to impress in all facets of the game, and is also a solid leader when the team needs it. The extra physicality and adaptability of Braid means he will likely continue to remain ahead of Todd in the pecking order.

Steven Luatua (Blues) â€" Likely
Naturally as soon as one blindside flanker is moved from the back of the scrum to his correct position, another one is moved from the blindside to the number 8 role. Steven Luatua was not as commanding against the Bulls as he has been in the previous two games but was still one of the better Blues on display.

Mention should be made of John Hardie (Highlanders) who was one of the few players from his team to fire a shot. It is unlikely he will head off both Braid and Todd, however, to be the second favourite open side flanker behind Cane.

Halfbacks

TJ Perenara (Hurricanes) â€" Even
Perenara is slowly finding his mojo, though still is not up to the high standards he set himself last year. He will have to play incredibly well if he is to displace Kerr-Barlow in the All Blacks squad, unless there is a surprise casualty.

Tawera Kerr-Barlow (Chiefs) â€" Likely
Kerr-Barlow was immense against the Stormers, and even though he spent ten minutes in the bin for continual infringing from the Chiefs he was easily one of the best backs on the park. His defence is rock solid and he continues to make solid decisions at the base of the ruck. Whatever happens come June, NZ will be well represented at halfback.

First Five

Baden Kerr (Blues) had a solid if not spectacular starting debut for the Blues â€" it was unusual for him to be removed from the fold for the last ten minutes of the match. Lima Sopoaga (Highlanders) had a hard time against the Cheetahs [naturally I had just selected him in my fantasy team], gifting them two tries, while his teammate Colin Slade was handy from the bench and should be the premier first five for his team for the remainder of the competition â€" which is quite an achievement considering how little rugby he has played lately. Gareth Anscombe (Chiefs) continues to impress at fullback.

Centre

Tim Bateman (Hurricanes) â€" Unlikely
Bateman is almost too similar player to Conrad Smith to stand out in the Hurricanes, he would be a better fit down at the Highlanders or Crusaders where they could use a safe distributor to complement their raw power in the midfield. His chances of gaining selection into the All Blacks decreases as each week passes.

Robbie Fruean (Crusaders) â€" Unlikey
Fruean continues to be pulled from the field without offering great performances. Though he has always looked to have the potential to shine on the world stage, I think it’s fair to say his chances of doing so for the All Blacks are now slim to none.

Andrew Horrell (Chiefs) â€" Even
It is great to see Horrell back from injury, and had a very strong cameo off the bench for the Chiefs. His distributive play and hard running means he can play at either inside or outside centre with any type of player partnering him. Though he will probably not displace Francis Saili in June, there could be a spot on the end of year tour for him, with Conrad Smith, Tamati Ellison and Richard Kahui all unlikely to feature.

Francis Saili (Blues) â€" Likely
Saili continues to stand out in the Blues backline (which isn’t an easy thing to do). Like Horrell, he possesses a smart rugby mind and a lot of physical power, and is still only 22. His ability to offload in the tackle should also not be overlooked.

Of the other centres that played in the weekend, Ryan Crotty (Crusaders) was the stand out of the lot, scoring a great individual try. Charlie Ngatai (Chiefs) was also good value for money in his first start for the franchise, scoring a double due to running great lines on attack, and defending resolutely.

Outisde Backs

Andre Taylor (Hurricanes) â€" Unlikely
Taylor has yet to hit second gear, and has been disappointing in the first few weeks. With at least three other great fullbacks playing, Taylor will have to pull something out of the hat in order to grab a spot.

Johnny McNicholl (Crusaders) â€" Unlikely
Finally McNicholl got a start for the Crusaders and played like he’s been around for years. His skillset is diverse and he has a habit of popping up in the right place at the right time. He is probably another year away from selection, but no one can question his potential.

Tim Nanai-Williams (Chiefs) â€" Even
What remains Nanai-Williams’ strongest aspect is his versatility. Being able to fit in on the wing and at fullback (plus centre, at a stretch) means he has great utility value. That being said, he will need to be shifted into one of his primary positions in order to win one of the much contested spots.

Charles Piutau (Blues) â€" Likely
Piutau gets better each week â€" there’s not much else to say. If he keeps this up he will be a certainty for the squad.
The best other outside back on display in the weekend (excluding the prodigious Julian Savea) was Kade Poki (Highlanders) who notched a hat trick against the Cheetahs.

Probable June Squad:

Hookers â€" A Hore, K Mealamu, D Coles
Props â€" T Woodcock, O Franks, C Faumuina, B Franks, B Afeaki
Locks â€" S Whitelock, B Retalick, L Romano, A Williams
Loose Forwards â€" K Read, S Cane, V Vito, L Messam, S Luatua
Halfbacks â€" P Weepu, A Smith, T Kerr-Barlow
First Fives â€" D Carter, A Cruden, B Barrett
Centres â€" C Smith, M Nonu, F Saili
Outside Backs â€" I Dagg, J Savea, C Piutau, H Gear
Utility Backs â€" B Smith, R Kahui

In: B Franks
Out: W Crockett

Blues - 7
Chiefs - 7
Hurricanes - 6
Crusaders - 6
Highlanders - 6

Sort of waiting to see whether or not he decides to head overseas. While someone like Kahui would probably be selected, I can't see them selecting Ranger as he isn't proven at international level. Admittedly I probably should've included him as a going concern.

Another good summary. It was good to see Johnny McNicholl have a good game on debut, as I rate him very highly.

I think the make-up of the loose-forwards will be the most interesting aspect of the first AB's squad of the season (perhaps that is just because I spend most of the matches watching the loosies). I'm not yet convinced about Luatua, but he has certainly had a great start to the season (though needs to get back in the 6 jersey ASAP). I would like to see the AB selectors go for 2 opensides in their squad, which would mean Braid in ahead of Luatua (though I'm not sure if the AB's selectors will see it this way)....

I'd be quite surprised if neither of Shields or Luatua is selected. I think they'll almost certainly include at least one of them. I'd imagine Cane will start all matches at 7, Read will start all at 8, and then the 6 will be up for grabs. With McCaw coming back for the Rugby Championship, I don't think they'll bother blooding another open side, whereas the blind side spot is yet to be nailed down by anyone.

That being said, Jerome Kaino didn't reach his potential until he was quite a bit older, so Shields and Luatua MAY be overlooked for the next year or so.

I'd be happy to see someone other than Messam in the 6 jersey. He still doesn't look that great at All Blacks level to me. It's not his defense, I've been pretty pleased with that. But he consistently runs sideways, and the result is he doesn't always get past the advantage line or he gets isolated. It's very frustrating. At least Luatua and Shields don't have that problem and are without any obvious flaws (except neither can play 8!). They also offer more grunt work in my opinion, which is something we were really missing last year.

All black super xv form team?

15- Piatau
14-Masanga
13-Ranger
12- N.Williams
11- Savea
10-Cruden
9-Barlow
8-Reid
7-Braid
6-Messam
5-Williams
4-Retilick
3-Afeaki
2-Coles
1-B.Franks

I tend to agree with you Nick in terms of Messams running game. I find his habit of crabbing across field rather frustrating, especially as he is actually pretty effective when he runs straight! In saying that I think he is still be best choice at 6 for the AB's at the moment. His off-loading ability suits the AB's gameplan, he is effective at the breakdown, and he is a very strong defender. The speed at which he makes a tackle and gets back into the defensive line is a real feature of his game, and he has added real physicality to his tackling in recent seasons.

While I can certainly see the appeal of the likes of Luatua and Shields, I worry a bit that we will bring them in before we are ready. Both have the size and physicality that we have missed in the 6 jersey since the departure of Kaino - I just think we need to be careful not to select players based on the fact they have similar attributes to past stars. To be fair Luatua probably deserves the hype he is receiving, but so far all I have seen from Shields is potential,​ not performances.

Johnny McNicholl (Crusaders) – Unlikely
Finally McNicholl got a start for the Crusaders and played like he's been around for years. His skillset is diverse and he has a habit of popping up in the right place at the right time. He is probably another year away from selection, but no one can question his potential.
I can't wait for this kid to explode and score a million tries. Just so we can all have the luxury of saying "Johnny On the Spot"... :D

Seriously though- another great summary. Love reading these.

With Kahui coming back in the foreseeable future we should get a chance to see Nanai-Williams back in the back three. I'm just worried if he'll be able to keep up the impressive play that we've seen from him thus far with a little less ball in hand.

Gods, you NZers are spoilt for choice in the back three! I'd have a cry into my pillow at night if I were you knowing you can only pick two of Dagg, Smith and Piutau in a matchday 22 (all while Anscombe has looked very comfortable at 15 as well!!) and have to leave behind a wing(ers) that'd probably stroll into any other test team. Savea has to be a certainty though! Can't pick between the rest but if Jane were to be fit come test season...

And this after losing Mills and Sivivatu (and the young Crusader lad to drink).. ********!

Gods, you NZers are spoilt for choice in the back three! I'd have a cry into my pillow at night if I were you knowing you can only pick two of Dagg, Smith and Piutau in a matchday 22 (all while Anscombe has looked very comfortable at 15 as well!!) and have to leave behind a wing(ers) that'd probably stroll into any other test team. Savea has to be a certainty though! Can't pick between the rest but if Jane were to be fit come test season...

And this after losing Mills and Sivivatu (and the young Crusader lad to drink).. ********!

Add Toeava to injury, Maitland to the scots, Rokocoko to age (not that he was fantastic towards the end), Kahui temporarily to injury...

New Zealand always has an absurd amount of talent in the back 3. Anyone else terrified of Savea 2.0? I know he's technically a flanker but even so...

With Kahui coming back in the foreseeable future we should get a chance to see Nanai-Williams back in the back three. I'm just worried if he'll be able to keep up the impressive play that we've seen from him thus far with a little less ball in hand.

Nanai-Williams is much better suited to playing in the back three (fullback is actually where I prefer him), as thrives with room to move. He doesn't really have the physicality required to play in the centres, and has struggled a bit defensively. He probably will get less ball on the wing/at fullback, but will have more space with the ball, and will have a bit more freedom to pop up where required. I don't think he is that close to AB's selection at this stage as we have plenty of other options, and I still worry about his defense (though it is improving), and his ability to handle pressure....

Add Toeava to injury, Maitland to the scots, Rokocoko to age (not that he was fantastic towards the end), Kahui temporarily to injury...

New Zealand always has an absurd amount of talent in the back 3. Anyone else terrified of Savea 2.0? I know he's technically a flanker but even so...

Savea 2.0 is an incredibly talented younger player, but is still a year or two away. He has freakish athleticism for a loose-forward, but doesn't quite have the physicality required to excel there at the top level......yet. Given he is still only 19 he still has plenty of developing to do, but there is really no limit to his potential...

so wierd saying losing a player to age while he isnt even 30 yet dont you think? :p (i do agree as he is pants in comparision to his old self)
and from what iv seen from savea looks like he will be absaloute beast in the loose

Latest posts