TRF_Olyy

English Arrogance
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Sale
Series is up on Amazon Prime now, anyone watched/watching it?

I'm only one episode in, atm, but it's brilliant so far

Might get the 7 day free trial and binge this and the NFL ones.

We're up to episode 2 in my house (we've only got Prime until the 8th so need to get a move on!). My early takeaways are that Steve Hansen is a bit of a *** (so many unnecessary little digs), Ben Smith is a top bloke & Rieko Ioane's grandad is adorable.

Yep, will definitely check this out. Cheers for the heads up.

1st 2 episodes were really good but after that it's just started to feel like extended highlights of the games with very little insight compared to what was given in eps 1 and 2

Finished the series now & even though it's good, I definitely agree with the above about it giving less insight as it goes on. Could've done with less match action (we've already seen all that!) and more behind the scenes stuff. Glad I watched it though.

Lima Sopoaga was adorable talking about his new family. And Kieran Reid's crazy eyes! 100 years ago he'd have been leading a group of men over the top of the trenches

Lima Sopoaga was adorable talking about his new family. And Kieran Reid's crazy eyes! 100 years ago he'd have been leading a group of men over the top of the trenches
I felt like Reid wanted to hurt me... I think the shot of Alun Wyn in the second test when there was a scuffle wins the scary eyes battle tho

The strength and conditioning guy on the sideline was the best thing about this series.

Thanks for the tip off, I binge watched most of it last night. I agree with pretty much all of the above, although other than a chippy comment early on in the first episode, I didn't really have a problem with Steve Hanson.

I'd be interested to know the target audience, it felt to me like a documentary for non-rugby supporters, made by non-rugby supporters. Did they really need to employ a foley artist to make silly noises every time a tackle was made or even a ball passed?

Personally, I took against Kieran Read. An awful lot of what he said and occasionally how he behaved seemed pretty disingenuous.

Edit: I think I enjoyed All Blacks: Weight Of A Nation more, but it was drunk o'clock when I stumbled on it, so my memory of it is a bit hazy!

If I was a coach of a team touring New Zealand, I'd certainly be showing clips of these documentaries to my team. IMO it goes a long way to shattering the cloak of invincibility of the All Blacks and shows that they have the same vulnerabilities and insecurities and any other set of players.

Last edited:
The entire tone of the documentary seemed a bit arrogant to me. Just the script for the commentator and the attitude of Hansen. The players seemed humble and down to earth though.

It was definitely made for the casual/American audience rather than hard-core rugby fans.
They definitely played up the mythical unbeatable All Blacks angle (not the best season to film in that regard :p ) but I thought all the players and staff came across well

It was definitely made for the casual/American audience rather than hard-core rugby fans.
They definitely played up the mythical unbeatable All Blacks angle (not the best season to film in that regard :p ) but I thought all the players and staff came across well

#StayHumble,

Anyone else feel like Sopoanga was a bit star struck by Beauden... Kept going on about how he was the best in the world

Anyone else feel like Sopoanga was a bit star struck by Beauden... Kept going on about how he was the best in the world
Definitely. He seemed really down to Earth. To be fair, Beauden is a bit of a freak.

I'd have loved it if they had got closer to Brodie or Wyatt Crockett, real down to earth straightforward rugby players.

I thought SBW was really interesting, it came across how much the red card affected him and the internal struggle he would have with it.

Latest posts