• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

All PS3's to be backwards compatible?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vambo @ Jul 1 2009, 08:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Backwards Compatible

Smart move if this proves true.[/b]

I'm not worried myself, have a 60gb backwards compatible PS3 fitted with a 320gb already, lol. As for the news, all unconfirmed as yet. I'm hoping for those without it that it will work out this way, but the graphics chip is probably the harder thing for the PS3 to simulate. As soon as thats sorted they'll probably do it. Could be another year yet for all we know, if it happens at all.

Why the hell did they stop making them backwards capable in the first place??!! this is annoying.

People always criticise this without doing any reasearch and don't seem to realise that Sony would've done anything they could to keep them in there. I end up explaining this all the time. This has been gone into in much more depth elsewhere.

The PS2 used a somewhat complex CPU nicknamed the "Emotion engine". It also had an even more unique graphics chip. Both of these items needed to be put into the first PS3's which came out.

Sony had put an incredible amount into the PS3 and it wasn't being noticed by the consumer. Blu-ray was not the HD format standard at the time, WI-FI was just seen as an optional extra, people were over looking the fact that it's standard model had 60gb compared to the 360's 20gb. It had card slots on the front for Memory stick, SD and compact flash. It had the cell chip, which cost a lot. It had HDMI support as standard. The thing had been made to not break down and some do yes, but far fewer than the cheaply made early opposition ones.

Sony was losing a lot and I mean a lot on every console, but were trying to bring us the future. The cost of the console was starting to cause MAJOR revenue issues. There wasn't enough first party software to pick up that revenue slack at the time.

Something had to give and the emotion engine and graphics chip support for the PS2 was on the 'very expensive' list. PS2 was still selling INCREDIBLY strongly, (still doing okay). So they had to cut it out and put a little money into the far cheaper R&D of emulation of an amazingly complex chip architecture. At least it looks like the fruit of that may yet please an unsatisfiable public. Or will it?

Seriously, if people are still going to kick them over this, I'd like to know your grand plan please? :)

now sony just need to announce that much awaited price cut and they will be golden if this bc stuff comes true.

Will be great if they can add Backward Compatibility to the rumoured new Slim Model as well as cut the price, the things will surely fly off the shelves.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Radman @ Jul 1 2009, 06:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Will be great if they can add Backward Compatibility to the rumoured new Slim Model as well as cut the price, the things will surely fly off the shelves.[/b]

If it's coming (and it looks promising), I could see it coming as part of the slim model first. It'd be good business sense to offer it as a PS3 Slim exclusive for the short term. Then after a while offering it as part of a firmware update. Who knows though really. Hope to hear something official soon. :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Jul 5 2009, 12:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
It's about time.[/b]

The important thing is to realise that Sony want this in there too. They want people to have another reason to buy the PS3. They need a bigger install base. They want it, so if they could, it'd be there now. It's looking closer, heard some info that the graphics chip emulator is being worked on alongside the emotion engine. I guess it kind of had to be anyhow, as it's those two things which are imperative for PS2 software emulation. It's not working on as many ***les as they'd like, but a very high percentage of them. It's just optimising now, but thats the hardest thing too, thats where all the variables are coming into play.

So, more testing to go, but it's inching closer. I hear murmurs of it being in the 3.00 firmware for Christmas, but take that with a grain of salt. In-game voice chat is more likely to be the main priority for that update.

Still plenty of time for anything to happen.

I had heard the firmware update making this possible would arrive before 2009 is out.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Jul 5 2009, 04:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I had heard the firmware update making this possible would arrive before 2009 is out.[/b]

Which if it proves true is likely to be available around the same time as the 3.00 firmware. I'll be really pleased for all those without this feature if it comes about that soon. :)

Latest posts