• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

All Things Tape.

DanielAHK

Academy Player
Hi guys and girls,

I'm new here but I wanted to start this thread because when I put 'tape' in the search bar, not much came up part from single questions regarding tape. So, I wanted to start this in order for people to be able to ask questions and possibly get something else answered on the subject while they are here. There is a possibility of me missing a huge thread somewhere and so I will ask a question to start us off and hopefully, if there is a more established thread, then this one can simply answer this question:

Why do players, such as Jack Nowell, wear thin strips of tape around particular segments of their fingers? I originally thought it must be due to re-occurring injuries but he has tape on so many of his fingers and additionally, the taped fingers change from game to game. Has anyone got any ideas as to why he and others do this? Grip perhaps? Any help will be greatly appreciated as I am to join a team in the coming month and want to have my bases covered. :) I have included a picture below so you get an idea of what I mean. I look forward to your responses. Thanks guys!
England-rugby-news-Jack-Nowell-865129.jpg

Most tape is used around prior injury's or areas of the body that may be feeling sore . some players may not have an injury but may just put tape as a part of their pregame ritual as a sort of good luck charm

Most tape is used around prior injury's or areas of the body that may be feeling sore . some players may not have an injury but may just put tape as a part of their pregame ritual as a sort of good luck charm
Ahhh, I see! That makes sense. I suppose I wondered what type of consistent injury would take place on the fingers. Maybe it could help with grip too when it is wet or similar. Thanks for that answer! :)

For your specific question, you partner-splint broken fingers like that, and it's perfect possible that players then get into the habit / superstition of continuing to partner splint.
The other aspect for taoe on fingers is that, depending on the tape, it can improve grip. There's not really any other reason tape kept to one finger (barring thumbs, but even then the tape extends around the wrist)

ETA, as you suggest later

Last edited:
Beyond that on taping, especially Zinc Oxide Vs Kinesiology Tape; http://back-in-action.net/page/799392-kinesiology-taping.aspx ;)

0000000982745.png

Kinesiology taping differs from traditional taping with Zinc Oxide tape (AKA ZnOT). ZnOT is a rigid, inflexible tape used mostly to limit ranges of motion and to constrict muscle movement. The effect of ZnOT is to prevent an injured muscle or joint moving too far and being re-injured; or to reduce the stress where the muscle or tendon anchors itself to the bone.
Conversely, kinesiology tape is stretchy, elastic and breathable, attempting to mimic the structure of the skin. The application of kinesiology tape is thought to have 2 principal effects, which can be utilised in different ways.
0000000982743.png

One would be to provide neurosensory feedback through the skin, and the muscles underneath it, which may encourage superficial muscles to hold slightly more or slightly less tension—making them slightly more eager to contract on demand, or to reduce fatigue in an overly tense muscle.
This same effect of providing feedback to the skin can also be used to protect against overstretch injury (or to encourage a better posture) by increasing the feedback when the muscle, ligament, tendon or joint is taken too far (as opposed ZnOT, which actively prevents the excess movement).
0000000982744.png

A second effect would be to slightly lift the skin away from the underlying tissue, which may allow increased movement of any fluid (bruising, oedema) there, increasing blood flow, and reducing swelling.
It is theorised that this same effect may also reduce pressure on pain receptors, providing a degree of analgaesia.
0000000982742.png

ZnOT is typically worn only for the duration of an athletic (or other potentially aggravating) event; kinesiology tape can be worn for 24 hours a day, and typically stays on for 3-5 days.
NB: The glue used with kinesiology tape is heat activated, so the warmer it is, the stickier it becomes; unlike ZnOT DO NOT try to remove kinesiology tape in the bath or shower! Equally, don't just rip it off like a plaster; this glue is much stronger.
We recommend rubbing olive oil (or baby oil) into the tape, and letting it sit for 10-15 minutes; then peeling it back, in the direction of hair growth, stretching the skin away from the tape.
With either form of taping—we (strongly) recommend shaving the area before applying.

Last edited:

Latest posts