• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

All time best top 10 songs and artists

f*** this is hard and will most likely be completely different tomorrow, but here goes.

Top 10 artists (in no order):

Pink Floyd
Cream
King Cimson
The Doors
The Jimi Hendrix Experience
Neil Young
Joe Walsh
The Velvet Underground
Creedence Clearwater Revival
Radiohead

Top 10 songs (in no order, trying to not include the same artist twice):

Us and Them - Pink Floyd
The End - The Doors
Paranoid Android - Radiohead
Epitaph - King Crimson
The Wind Cries Mary - The Jimi Hendrix Experience
White Room - Cream
Jumpin' Jack Flash - The Rolling Stones
The Sound of Silence - Simon & Garfunkel
Heart of Gold - Neil Young
Put Down That Weapon - Midnight Oil

Oh man, ok i could never do top 10 songs. Because there are so many songs out there that i love then i'll listen to too many times and they not want to listen to again.
I just grow tired of them.

But i could possibly do my favourite artists (in no order):

Bowling For Soup
Bowling_for_Soup-09-big.jpg

Eminem
eminem-picture-1.jpg

Simple Plan
SimplePlan20052.jpg

The Offspring
offspring.jpg

LostProphets
Lostprophets.jpg

Linkin Park
Linkin.Park.jpg

Nirvana
nirvana.jpg

All American Rejects
all_am9.jpg

Fall Out Boy
Fall.Out.Boy.jpg

My Chemical Romance
My.Chemical.Romance-band-2004.jpg

Artists would be something like:

Pain of Salvation
Marillion / Fish
Opeth
My Dying Bride
Evergrey
IQ
The Sensational Alex Harvey Band (hence Vambo ;) )
Peter Hammill / Van der Graaf Generator
All About Eve
Killing Joke

Impossible to list 10 songs but my all time fave song is 'The Seventh House' by IQ.

Artists:

The Jam
Small Faces
The Who
Joy Division
The Jam
Jimi Hendrix
The Specials
Rolling Stones
The Beatles
Bob Dylan

Can't really pick ten songs.

I don't really listen to many songs from the 'golden era of music', but I'll try my best to list ten songs I adore, in no particular order...

Great Gig in the Sky
Us and Them (thanks for the mention in the music thread, waira ^.^)
Vienna
Take on Me
A View to A Kill
Yellow

... Nope, mind-blank.
I'll have to settle for six...

Top 10 modern day bands.

Rage
rage.jpg

Incubus
incubus.jpg

Lostprophets
lostprophets_1024.jpg

Creed
creed2.jpg

AFI
AFI-band-dug01.jpg

Enter Shikari
enter-shikari.jpg

The Used
03_02_25_the-used_500.jpg

Saosin
saosin.jpg

Anberlin
anberlin.jpg

DC talk
dctalk_img.jpg

Muse > Thread.

My Top 10 Favourite Songs (Always chopping and changing on a weekly basis)

Slide Away - Oasis
Drugs Don't Work - The Verve
Fade to Black - Metallica
Fury - Muse
Con Science - Muse
Werewolves of London - Warren Zevon
Coffee and TV - Blur
This is not America - David Bowie
I Wanna Be Your Dog - Iggy and the Stooges
Starf***ers Inc - Nine Inch Nails (Got tickets for them in Feburary - f*** Yeah)

People are just naming their favourite bands. Isn't this thread "All Time best"?

One blaring ommission from these lists is Michael Jackson, he's a wacko but his talent is unquestionable.

187 makes a valid point.

These bands... I love them all but I also think they're the ones with the most talent/ imagination/ chemistry. Not necessarily my favourite 10.

Radiohead - They've produced about 5 outstanding albums which sound different to each other. They haven't raped the same style; they've continued to innovate while at the same time making very listenable music.

The Beatles - 2 schools of thought: "the Beatles are leik the bestest ever, I love yellow submarine!"; "the Beatles are soooo overrated omg". Both wrong. The Beatles came up with a number of awesome albums, and like Radiohead, they fitted in different genres. Sgt Pepper, White Album etc. were hugely innovative and influential - fine they made loads of No. 1s but it was the albums where their real quality came out.

The Smiths - Morrissey has probably the best voice of any rock singer ever. Add to that his lyrical skill, and Johnny Marr's brilliant & unique guitar playing...

The Mars Volta - Omar Rodriguez Lopez is probably the best guitarist of his generation. And most of his guitar work is aimed at making it sound as little like the guitar as possible. Extraordinary talent... and the singer Cedric Bixler-Zavala is awesome too - he has the ability to make his voice 'ride' on the lead guiitar line, which says something for his chemistry with Lopez. Plus, he manages to come up with some of the strangest abstract lyrics and makes them sound like they make sense; he can put emotion into a load of ********.

Led Zeppelin - a sort of cliche, even those who know nothing about LZ will say they're a great band just because of their reputation. But the way I see it, they had 3 incredible musicians in their band (Page, Plant and Bonham)... it was almost a supergroup before starting out. They had a variety of influences; pioneered rock music and took from blues.. and defined 'rock' music.

The Beach Boys
- When everyone in America was either listening to hippy stuff or British music, the Beach Boys pioneered surf rock and made it good; and made California known for something else other than San Francisco.

The Kinks - Ray Davies is one of the greatest songwriters ever. There's nothing too complicated about most of their songs; just really tight, with the music almost being a backing to the stories that Davies was telling in the same way you'd use a beat for hiphop.

Oasis - The Gallagher brothers are formidable when creating music together; they've made several incredible albums, characterised by swagger and their instantly recognisable sound.

The Velvet Underground - Hugley influential, Lou Reed was an inspiring frontman and they were among the first to make rock music 'gritty'.

David Bowie - we know he wasn't a solo artist and that Iggy Pop did a hell of a lot of guitarwork for him... and Bowie has managed to create some awesome songs, fusing a little with funk/ disco music and a glamourous style that made him unique.

they're the best..

My best hippety hoppers too:

1. 2Pac - Far from the greatest lyricist, nor did he have the best flow. Why No. 1? Because his presence on the microphone was absolutely immense. He was a good lyricist, had good flow, but it was his subject matter and delivery that put him above the rest. "My hard stare seems to scare..." sums him up; there's an intensity and coldness about him that no one else has. That and his afrocentricity are his defining characteristics. He was also a fantastic poet.

2. Big L - Like 2Pac, Big L was shot long before his time. Unlike 2Pac he didn't have a lifetime's worth of unreleased tracks so we only have a few albums to judge him on... but you'll find few rappers with better multies: When I move through the ghetto I drive slow/ I'm quick to buck a duck and I don't give a f*** about five-o/ A hardcore life I chose to explore/ therefore I live raw and went to war wit the law. That's his trademark - spitting lines fast with multi-layered rhyme schemes.

3. Notorious B.I.G. - Rounding off a top 3 who were all shot dead. Biggie is another who's flow was absolutely incredible and adjusted to a huge variety of bpm. Content wise he wasn't afraid to disgust: "Hail Mary? f*** her, I never knew her/ I'd probably screw her/ and dump her body in the sewer", and as you can see his multies are good too.

4. NaS - No question, the greatest rapper alive, no matter what Jay-Z says. Incidentally they had a beef that NaS won hands down. His debut, Illmatic, is probably the greates hiphop album ever. And unlike so many he's kept going with great lyrics and honest content, very descriptive; Jay-Z began with an incredible debut and went on to arrogance... NaS is still NaS. What's more his metaphors are sick. Listen out for his rhyming and wordplay

5. Big Pun - another dead man, but this one because he got too fat. But he put Latino hiphop on the map. His rhymes were so complex they are probably the hardest to sing along to, they're like toungetwisters. he deliverered them perfectly: "Dead in the middle of Little Italy little did we know that we riddled some middleman who didn't do diddily".

6. Slick Rick - Born in London, raised in New York. Hit in the late 80's and basically invented story rap; looking back it may be hard to listen to hiphop's great innovators like Slick Rick and Rakim and see why they're so revered - it's because they did what no one else had before them. Flow was beautifully laid back; half his songs were about sex and he didn't hesitate to go into detail. And he had to wear an eyepatch. Legend. Children's Story

7. Eminem - No... uh oh... yeah Eminem is this good. Ignore most of what he did after 8 Mile; but based on his work before (3 albums and a bootleg) plus the 8 mile sountrack, and this guy is mustard. He wasn't the first white rapper and not even the earliest that I would consider for my top 10 (RA the Rugged Man) but he was incredible in his own right. His lyrical skill is awesome; his mind is sick and hence he creates some lasting images: "I walked into a gunfight with a knife to kill you/ and cut you so fast that when your blood spilt it was still blue". Eminem's forte is his metaphors and worldplay, and he is arguably the best in this area. "You're a clown you don't come out with a thang/ you could date a stick of dynamite and wouldn't go out with a bang."

8. Jay-Z - Best flow out of anyone in hiphop. Doesn't have the humourous putdowns like the others in this list but listen to how well his vocals fit with any of his songs and you'll see what I mean about flow.

9. Jehst - IMO the best British rapper. Unlike many Americans will say, British rap does not suck. Unlike many Brits say, it does not kick US hiphop's ass either. Jehst is, however, awesome and fully deserves to be on the list; he's able to construct verses with the same rhyming complexity expected of Big L; add some fantastic metaphors and you have a brilliant rapper. It's almost like he's reciting prose rather than lines. "You can see it, how I tripped and fell down, and picked myself up, turned myself round from the cliff's edge and staggered home like a misled pisshead, and put up a fight till my fists bled."

10. Immortal Technique - The most political rapper I can think of. Whether you agree with them or not, you have to admire how he 1) backs them up and 2) manages to turn them into good pieces of lyricism. There's a lot more to it than the usual "George Bush sucks" - Technique will tell you exactly why he sucks, and how he will personally lead a revolution till Bush is spattered all over the Oval Office. But perhaps his best song is probably the most grim in hiphop history... a story (post Slick Rick of course) about a boy who wants to get involved with the raw guys in his projects.. ending in tragedy in the same way as Children's Story. Dance With The Devil

I'm just going to completely ignore the thread ***le and list (roughly... always changing) my ten favourite (and therefore the best) albums of all time (in no particular order)...

Sun City Girls - Grotto of Miracles
Erkin Koray - Elektronik Turkuler
Ananda Shankar - Ananda Shankar and His Music
Caroliner - Cooking Stove Beast
Mr Bungle - Disco Volante
Melvins - Bullhead
Boredoms - Chocolate Synthesizer
Peter Thomas Sound-Orchester - Raumpatrouille
The Beatles - The Beatles (White Album)
Princess Nicotine: Folk & Pop Sounds of Sumatra (Vol. 1) - v/a

special mention:

John Coltrane - Interstellar Space

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Dec 29 2008, 06:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
187 makes a valid point.

These bands... I love them all but I also think they're the ones with the most talent/ imagination/ chemistry. Not necessarily my favourite 10.

Radiohead - They've produced about 5 outstanding albums which sound different to each other. They haven't raped the same style; they've continued to innovate while at the same time making very listenable music.

The Beatles - 2 schools of thought: "the Beatles are leik the bestest ever, I love yellow submarine!"; "the Beatles are soooo overrated omg". Both wrong. The Beatles came up with a number of awesome albums, and like Radiohead, they fitted in different genres. Sgt Pepper, White Album etc. were hugely innovative and influential - fine they made loads of No. 1s but it was the albums where their real quality came out.

The Smiths - Morrissey has probably the best voice of any rock singer ever. Add to that his lyrical skill, and Johnny Marr's brilliant & unique guitar playing...

The Mars Volta - Omar Rodriguez Lopez is probably the best guitarist of his generation. And most of his guitar work is aimed at making it sound as little like the guitar as possible. Extraordinary talent... and the singer Cedric Bixler-Zavala is awesome too - he has the ability to make his voice 'ride' on the lead guiitar line, which says something for his chemistry with Lopez. Plus, he manages to come up with some of the strangest abstract lyrics and makes them sound like they make sense; he can put emotion into a load of ********.

Led Zeppelin - a sort of cliche, even those who know nothing about LZ will say they're a great band just because of their reputation. But the way I see it, they had 3 incredible musicians in their band (Page, Plant and Bonham)... it was almost a supergroup before starting out. They had a variety of influences; pioneered rock music and took from blues.. and defined 'rock' music.

The Beach Boys
- When everyone in America was either listening to hippy stuff or British music, the Beach Boys pioneered surf rock and made it good; and made California known for something else other than San Francisco.

The Kinks - Ray Davies is one of the greatest songwriters ever. There's nothing too complicated about most of their songs; just really tight, with the music almost being a backing to the stories that Davies was telling in the same way you'd use a beat for hiphop.

Oasis - The Gallagher brothers are formidable when creating music together; they've made several incredible albums, characterised by swagger and their instantly recognisable sound.

The Velvet Underground - Hugley influential, Lou Reed was an inspiring frontman and they were among the first to make rock music 'gritty'.

David Bowie - we know he wasn't a solo artist and that Iggy Pop did a hell of a lot of guitarwork for him... and Bowie has managed to create some awesome songs, fusing a little with funk/ disco music and a glamourous style that made him unique.

they're the best..[/b]

I agree on most parts here.

Radiohead - Definitely. They have consistently put out superb material, only settling for their best work (a rarity among artists these days). OK Computer, The Bends, Kid A and In Rainbows are all masterpieces but the amazing thing is, they all span different genres. From the grungy feel of OK Computer, to the melodic beats in The Bends and In Rainbows and the electric feel to Kid A.

The Beatles - Bang on. Listen to Abbey Road, Sgt. Pepper's, The White Album, Revolver and then tell me, confidently, that The Beatles are still over-rated. They were much more than just the first ever pop/rock band.

The Smiths - Great band, Morrissey IMO (along with Freddie Mercury) is the greatest rock singer ever. However, I would not include them on this list if we're selecting on how influential they were.

The Mars Volta - One of the good modern day bands. Don't know a whole lot about them though so can't say one way or the other.

Led Zeppelin - Heavy metal starts here. An absolute corner stone in rock history.

The Beach Boys - Yeah sure, they were influential. Not a fan though.

The Kinks - Another awesome band, however I would replace them with The Rolling Stones or The Who. These were 3 original actual rock bands, all hitting it big in 1965.

Oasis - I agree with what you say, awesome band. However, they don't belong on this list. The Stone Roses come before Oasis. Even Liam Gallagher would agree with me.

The Velvet Underground - Often over looked which is very unfair. They (along with Pink Floyd) did created music like no one had ever heard of.

David Bowie - Another legend, along with Peter Gabriel and Brian Ferry he gave the world glam rock.

Good choices gingergenius. However I'd include Pink Floyd, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, The Rolling Stones, The Who, Cream and Kraftwerk somewhere within that list.

Personally, I think Oasis and The Mars Volta are both horrible bands who haven't written a song worth listening to... but that's just me...

But at least they're nowhere near the level of terrible that the bands cyril listed... I think most of them need to focus less on their image and more on their music...

And I've just opened up a whole can of ****... :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wairarapa_cullen @ Dec 29 2008, 09:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Dec 29 2008, 06:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
187 makes a valid point.

The Beach Boys

they're the best..[/b]

I agree on most parts here.

Radiohead - Definitely. They have consistently put out superb material, only settling for their best work (a rarity among artists these days). OK Computer, The Bends, Kid A and In Rainbows are all masterpieces but the amazing thing is, they all span different genres. From the grungy feel of OK Computer, to the melodic beats in The Bends and In Rainbows and the electric feel to Kid A.

The Beatles - Bang on. Listen to Abbey Road, Sgt. Pepper's, The White Album, Revolver and then tell me, confidently, that The Beatles are still over-rated. They were much more than just the first ever pop/rock band.

The Smiths - Great band, Morrissey IMO (along with Freddie Mercury) is the greatest rock singer ever. However, I would not include them on this list if we're selecting on how influential they were.

The Mars Volta - One of the good modern day bands. Don't know a whole lot about them though so can't say one way or the other.

Led Zeppelin - Heavy metal starts here. An absolute corner stone in rock history.

The Beach Boys - Yeah sure, they were influential. Not a fan though.

The Kinks - Another awesome band, however I would replace them with The Rolling Stones or The Who. These were 3 original actual rock bands, all hitting it big in 1965.

Oasis - I agree with what you say, awesome band. However, they don't belong on this list. The Stone Roses come before Oasis. Even Liam Gallagher would agree with me.

The Velvet Underground - Often over looked which is very unfair. They (along with Pink Floyd) did created music like no one had ever heard of.

David Bowie - Another legend, along with Peter Gabriel and Brian Ferry he gave the world glam rock.

Good choices gingergenius. However I'd include Pink Floyd, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, The Rolling Stones, The Who, Cream and Kraftwerk somewhere within that list.
[/b][/quote]

I was thinking of Cream; then I thought no cos imo Disraeli Gears was incredible but the rest of their stuff was just sponged off blues.

I know the Gallaghers worship Ian Brown but I think Oasis took it further; they were around longer and made more top albums.

Thought about including Floyd... but I thought they were best with syd Barret; but they get their reputation for the 70s stuff. In which you can see a huge influence from Kraftwerk. Who obviously are one of the most influential groups of all time; I just didnt have them down as a band.

I don't think I know enough about music to ever make a list of bands that I think are the top ten (whether it's in the world or my own personal list). However, bands and artists that I think have done a lot for music or there genre are:

Michael Jackson
The Beatles
Bob Marley
2Pac
Fleetwood Mac
Pink Floyd
The Rolling Stones
Led Zeppelin
David Bowie
Queen
Weather Report

Modern bands and artists that I think warrant a mention:

Rage Against The Machine
The White Stripes
Bloc Party
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Kings of Leon
Nas

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Dec 28 2008, 07:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
My best hippety hoppers too:

1. 2Pac - Far from the greatest lyricist, nor did he have the best flow. Why No. 1? Because his presence on the microphone was absolutely immense. He was a good lyricist, had good flow, but it was his subject matter and delivery that put him above the rest. "My hard stare seems to scare..." sums him up; there's an intensity and coldness about him that no one else has. That and his afrocentricity are his defining characteristics. He was also a fantastic poet.

2. Big L - Like 2Pac, Big L was shot long before his time. Unlike 2Pac he didn't have a lifetime's worth of unreleased tracks so we only have a few albums to judge him on... but you'll find few rappers with better multies: When I move through the ghetto I drive slow/ I'm quick to buck a duck and I don't give a f*** about five-o/ A hardcore life I chose to explore/ therefore I live raw and went to war wit the law. That's his trademark - spitting lines fast with multi-layered rhyme schemes.

3. Notorious B.I.G. - Rounding off a top 3 who were all shot dead. Biggie is another who's flow was absolutely incredible and adjusted to a huge variety of bpm. Content wise he wasn't afraid to disgust: "Hail Mary? f*** her, I never knew her/ I'd probably screw her/ and dump her body in the sewer", and as you can see his multies are good too.

4. NaS - No question, the greatest rapper alive, no matter what Jay-Z says. Incidentally they had a beef that NaS won hands down. His debut, Illmatic, is probably the greates hiphop album ever. And unlike so many he's kept going with great lyrics and honest content, very descriptive; Jay-Z began with an incredible debut and went on to arrogance... NaS is still NaS. What's more his metaphors are sick. Listen out for his rhyming and wordplay

5. Big Pun - another dead man, but this one because he got too fat. But he put Latino hiphop on the map. His rhymes were so complex they are probably the hardest to sing along to, they're like toungetwisters. he deliverered them perfectly: "Dead in the middle of Little Italy little did we know that we riddled some middleman who didn't do diddily".

6. Slick Rick - Born in London, raised in New York. Hit in the late 80's and basically invented story rap; looking back it may be hard to listen to hiphop's great innovators like Slick Rick and Rakim and see why they're so revered - it's because they did what no one else had before them. Flow was beautifully laid back; half his songs were about sex and he didn't hesitate to go into detail. And he had to wear an eyepatch. Legend. Children's Story

7. Eminem - No... uh oh... yeah Eminem is this good. Ignore most of what he did after 8 Mile; but based on his work before (3 albums and a bootleg) plus the 8 mile sountrack, and this guy is mustard. He wasn't the first white rapper and not even the earliest that I would consider for my top 10 (RA the Rugged Man) but he was incredible in his own right. His lyrical skill is awesome; his mind is sick and hence he creates some lasting images: "I walked into a gunfight with a knife to kill you/ and cut you so fast that when your blood spilt it was still blue". Eminem's forte is his metaphors and worldplay, and he is arguably the best in this area. "You're a clown you don't come out with a thang/ you could date a stick of dynamite and wouldn't go out with a bang."

8. Jay-Z - Best flow out of anyone in hiphop. Doesn't have the humourous putdowns like the others in this list but listen to how well his vocals fit with any of his songs and you'll see what I mean about flow.

9. Jehst - IMO the best British rapper. Unlike many Americans will say, British rap does not suck. Unlike many Brits say, it does not kick US hiphop's ass either. Jehst is, however, awesome and fully deserves to be on the list; he's able to construct verses with the same rhyming complexity expected of Big L; add some fantastic metaphors and you have a brilliant rapper. It's almost like he's reciting prose rather than lines. "You can see it, how I tripped and fell down, and picked myself up, turned myself round from the cliff's edge and staggered home like a misled pisshead, and put up a fight till my fists bled."

10. Immortal Technique - The most political rapper I can think of. Whether you agree with them or not, you have to admire how he 1) backs them up and 2) manages to turn them into good pieces of lyricism. There's a lot more to it than the usual "George Bush sucks" - Technique will tell you exactly why he sucks, and how he will personally lead a revolution till Bush is spattered all over the Oval Office. But perhaps his best song is probably the most grim in hiphop history... a story (post Slick Rick of course) about a boy who wants to get involved with the raw guys in his projects.. ending in tragedy in the same way as Children's Story. Dance With The Devil[/b]
You seem to be forgetting "The Fresh Prince" the worlds no1 rap artist. Here I go,here I go,here I,here I go,YO!
I think you forgot him cos he`s quite underground.

Latest posts