• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

All time best top 10 songs and artists

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danny @ Dec 30 2008, 07:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Dec 28 2008, 07:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My best hippety hoppers too:

1. 2Pac - Far from the greatest lyricist, nor did he have the best flow. Why No. 1? Because his presence on the microphone was absolutely immense. He was a good lyricist, had good flow, but it was his subject matter and delivery that put him above the rest. "My hard stare seems to scare..." sums him up; there's an intensity and coldness about him that no one else has. That and his afrocentricity are his defining characteristics. He was also a fantastic poet.

2. Big L - Like 2Pac, Big L was shot long before his time. Unlike 2Pac he didn't have a lifetime's worth of unreleased tracks so we only have a few albums to judge him on... but you'll find few rappers with better multies: When I move through the ghetto I drive slow/ I'm quick to buck a duck and I don't give a f*** about five-o/ A hardcore life I chose to explore/ therefore I live raw and went to war wit the law. That's his trademark - spitting lines fast with multi-layered rhyme schemes.

3. Notorious B.I.G. - Rounding off a top 3 who were all shot dead. Biggie is another who's flow was absolutely incredible and adjusted to a huge variety of bpm. Content wise he wasn't afraid to disgust: "Hail Mary? f*** her, I never knew her/ I'd probably screw her/ and dump her body in the sewer", and as you can see his multies are good too.

4. NaS - No question, the greatest rapper alive, no matter what Jay-Z says. Incidentally they had a beef that NaS won hands down. His debut, Illmatic, is probably the greates hiphop album ever. And unlike so many he's kept going with great lyrics and honest content, very descriptive; Jay-Z began with an incredible debut and went on to arrogance... NaS is still NaS. What's more his metaphors are sick. Listen out for his rhyming and wordplay

5. Big Pun - another dead man, but this one because he got too fat. But he put Latino hiphop on the map. His rhymes were so complex they are probably the hardest to sing along to, they're like toungetwisters. he deliverered them perfectly: "Dead in the middle of Little Italy little did we know that we riddled some middleman who didn't do diddily".

6. Slick Rick - Born in London, raised in New York. Hit in the late 80's and basically invented story rap; looking back it may be hard to listen to hiphop's great innovators like Slick Rick and Rakim and see why they're so revered - it's because they did what no one else had before them. Flow was beautifully laid back; half his songs were about sex and he didn't hesitate to go into detail. And he had to wear an eyepatch. Legend. Children's Story

7. Eminem - No... uh oh... yeah Eminem is this good. Ignore most of what he did after 8 Mile; but based on his work before (3 albums and a bootleg) plus the 8 mile sountrack, and this guy is mustard. He wasn't the first white rapper and not even the earliest that I would consider for my top 10 (RA the Rugged Man) but he was incredible in his own right. His lyrical skill is awesome; his mind is sick and hence he creates some lasting images: "I walked into a gunfight with a knife to kill you/ and cut you so fast that when your blood spilt it was still blue". Eminem's forte is his metaphors and worldplay, and he is arguably the best in this area. "You're a clown you don't come out with a thang/ you could date a stick of dynamite and wouldn't go out with a bang."

8. Jay-Z - Best flow out of anyone in hiphop. Doesn't have the humourous putdowns like the others in this list but listen to how well his vocals fit with any of his songs and you'll see what I mean about flow.

9. Jehst - IMO the best British rapper. Unlike many Americans will say, British rap does not suck. Unlike many Brits say, it does not kick US hiphop's ass either. Jehst is, however, awesome and fully deserves to be on the list; he's able to construct verses with the same rhyming complexity expected of Big L; add some fantastic metaphors and you have a brilliant rapper. It's almost like he's reciting prose rather than lines. "You can see it, how I tripped and fell down, and picked myself up, turned myself round from the cliff's edge and staggered home like a misled pisshead, and put up a fight till my fists bled."

10. Immortal Technique - The most political rapper I can think of. Whether you agree with them or not, you have to admire how he 1) backs them up and 2) manages to turn them into good pieces of lyricism. There's a lot more to it than the usual "George Bush sucks" - Technique will tell you exactly why he sucks, and how he will personally lead a revolution till Bush is spattered all over the Oval Office. But perhaps his best song is probably the most grim in hiphop history... a story (post Slick Rick of course) about a boy who wants to get involved with the raw guys in his projects.. ending in tragedy in the same way as Children's Story. Dance With The Devil[/b]
You seem to be forgetting "The Fresh Prince" the worlds no1 rap artist. Here I go,here I go,here I,here I go,YO!
I think you forgot him cos he`s quite underground.
[/b][/quote]

lmao

Here is my favorite Ten Group (or solo-singer) but this list is Very Very incomplete

1.Led Zeppelin

2. Eric Clapton

3.The Beatles

4. Jimmy Hendrix

5. Janis Joplin

6. Jethro Tull

7. Rolling Stones

8. Creedence Clearwater Revival

9. Pink Floyd

10. Oasis

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LeksoRugby @ Jan 4 2009, 12:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Here is my favorite Ten Group (or solo-singer) but this list is Very Very incomplete

1.Led Zeppelin

2. Eric Clapton

3.The Beatles

4. Jimmy Hendrix

5. Janis Joplin

6. Jethro Tull

7. Rolling Stones

9. Pink Floyd

10. Oasis[/b]

Yoy have superb taste!

There are some painful omissions in my top 10 list but here is a rough top 10 from me in no particular order:

Creedence Clearwater Revival/John Fogerty
Guns N' Roses
Tom Petty
Aerosmith
Pink Floyd
Rolling Stones
Dire Straits
The Eagles
Genesis
Bob Dylan

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KZNSharksFan @ Jan 4 2009, 04:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LeksoRugby @ Jan 4 2009, 12:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1.Led Zeppelin

2. Eric Clapton

3.The Beatles

4. Jimmy Hendrix

5. Janis Joplin

6. Jethro Tull

7. Rolling Stones

9. Pink Floyd

10. Oasis[/b]

Yoy have superb taste!

There are some painful omissions in my top 10 list but here is a rough top 10 from me in no particular order:

Creedence Clearwater Revival/John Fogerty
Guns N' Roses
Tom Petty
Aerosmith
Pink Floyd
Rolling Stones
Dire Straits
The Eagles
Genesis
Bob Dylan
[/b][/quote]

Great taste both Lekso and KZN!

CCR was a painful omission for me, maybe I should reconsider as I have bugger all US groups (but face it, the UK knew how to make the better music as a whole). Dire Straits too, Knopfler is pure genius!

A few more names I'd like to throw out there are Neil Young, Deep Purple, Leonard Cohen (aka. the Canadian Bob Dylan) and The Yardbirds (Jeff Beck, Clapton and Page all started their careers with them).

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wairarapa_cullen @ Jan 4 2009, 09:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Great taste both Lekso and KZN!

CCR was a painful omission for me, maybe I should reconsider as I have bugger all US groups (but face it, the UK knew how to make the better music as a whole). Dire Straits too, Knopfler is pure genius!

A few more names I'd like to throw out there are Neil Young, Deep Purple, Leonard Cohen (aka. the Canadian Bob Dylan) and The Yardbirds (Jeff Beck, Clapton and Page all started their careers with them).[/b]

Thank you! Neil Young is one of my favourite artists; Ohio, Heart of Gold, Down by the River just to name a few are all outstanding songs. Just recently bought his greatest hits album. I definately share your thoughts on Knopfler, he is a true master!

On second thoughts, Guns & Roses should have been replaced by Led Zeppelin in my list, though I still love their epic "rock ballads": November Rain, Civil War etc.

Ooo thank you guyzz for your high remarks around my music taste

Yeah I also like my music library :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

And I agree friends saying that UK made (and makes) music more fascinating than US does

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LeksoRugby @ Jan 4 2009, 08:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ooo thank you guyzz for your high remarks around my music taste

Yeah I also like my music library :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

And I agree friends saying that UK made (and makes) music more fascinating than US does[/b]

hmm if i was making generalisations i'd say that the US is miles better in terms of current rock/ indie music.

though certainly over history we have produced some fantastic bands for such a small place!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Dec 29 2008, 08:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

1. 2Pac - Far from the greatest lyricist, nor did he have the best flow. Why No. 1? Because his presence on the microphone was absolutely immense. He was a good lyricist, had good flow, but it was his subject matter and delivery that put him above the rest. "My hard stare seems to scare..." sums him up; there's an intensity and coldness about him that no one else has. That and his afrocentricity are his defining characteristics. He was also a fantastic poet.

2. Big L - Like 2Pac, Big L was shot long before his time. Unlike 2Pac he didn't have a lifetime's worth of unreleased tracks so we only have a few albums to judge him on... but you'll find few rappers with better multies: When I move through the ghetto I drive slow/ I'm quick to buck a duck and I don't give a f*** about five-o/ A hardcore life I chose to explore/ therefore I live raw and went to war wit the law. That's his trademark - spitting lines fast with multi-layered rhyme schemes.

3. Notorious B.I.G. - Rounding off a top 3 who were all shot dead. Biggie is another who's flow was absolutely incredible and adjusted to a huge variety of bpm. Content wise he wasn't afraid to disgust: "Hail Mary? f*** her, I never knew her/ I'd probably screw her/ and dump her body in the sewer", and as you can see his multies are good too.

4. NaS - No question, the greatest rapper alive, no matter what Jay-Z says. Incidentally they had a beef that NaS won hands down. His debut, Illmatic, is probably the greates hiphop album ever. And unlike so many he's kept going with great lyrics and honest content, very descriptive; Jay-Z began with an incredible debut and went on to arrogance... NaS is still NaS. What's more his metaphors are sick. Listen out for his rhyming and wordplay

5. Big Pun - another dead man, but this one because he got too fat. But he put Latino hiphop on the map. His rhymes were so complex they are probably the hardest to sing along to, they're like toungetwisters. he deliverered them perfectly: "Dead in the middle of Little Italy little did we know that we riddled some middleman who didn't do diddily".

6. Slick Rick - Born in London, raised in New York. Hit in the late 80's and basically invented story rap; looking back it may be hard to listen to hiphop's great innovators like Slick Rick and Rakim and see why they're so revered - it's because they did what no one else had before them. Flow was beautifully laid back; half his songs were about sex and he didn't hesitate to go into detail. And he had to wear an eyepatch. Legend. Children's Story

7. Eminem - No... uh oh... yeah Eminem is this good. Ignore most of what he did after 8 Mile; but based on his work before (3 albums and a bootleg) plus the 8 mile sountrack, and this guy is mustard. He wasn't the first white rapper and not even the earliest that I would consider for my top 10 (RA the Rugged Man) but he was incredible in his own right. His lyrical skill is awesome; his mind is sick and hence he creates some lasting images: "I walked into a gunfight with a knife to kill you/ and cut you so fast that when your blood spilt it was still blue". Eminem's forte is his metaphors and worldplay, and he is arguably the best in this area. "You're a clown you don't come out with a thang/ you could date a stick of dynamite and wouldn't go out with a bang."

8. Jay-Z - Best flow out of anyone in hiphop. Doesn't have the humourous putdowns like the others in this list but listen to how well his vocals fit with any of his songs and you'll see what I mean about flow.

9. Jehst - IMO the best British rapper. Unlike many Americans will say, British rap does not suck. Unlike many Brits say, it does not kick US hiphop's ass either. Jehst is, however, awesome and fully deserves to be on the list; he's able to construct verses with the same rhyming complexity expected of Big L; add some fantastic metaphors and you have a brilliant rapper. It's almost like he's reciting prose rather than lines. "You can see it, how I tripped and fell down, and picked myself up, turned myself round from the cliff's edge and staggered home like a misled pisshead, and put up a fight till my fists bled."

10. Immortal Technique - The most political rapper I can think of. Whether you agree with them or not, you have to admire how he 1) backs them up and 2) manages to turn them into good pieces of lyricism. There's a lot more to it than the usual "George Bush sucks" - Technique will tell you exactly why he sucks, and how he will personally lead a revolution till Bush is spattered all over the Oval Office. But perhaps his best song is probably the most grim in hiphop history... a story (post Slick Rick of course) about a boy who wants to get involved with the raw guys in his projects.. ending in tragedy in the same way as Children's Story. Dance With The Devil[/b]

What's your view on Lil Wayne? I don't mind the guy, he's made some pretty good songs lately and claims to be 'the best rapper alive', not only him but other people say the same thing.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flux @ Dec 30 2008, 12:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I don't think I know enough about music to ever make a list of bands that I think are the top ten (whether it's in the world or my own personal list). However, bands and artists that I think have done a lot for music or there genre are:

Michael Jackson
The Beatles
Bob Marley
2Pac
Fleetwood Mac
Pink Floyd
The Rolling Stones
Led Zeppelin
David Bowie
Queen
Weather Report[/b]

I like your list flux, agree with it totally, can't think of many more to add to that. maybe The Temptations? Elvis?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (187 @ Jan 4 2009, 11:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Dec 29 2008, 08:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What's your view on Lil Wayne? I don't mind the guy, he's made some pretty good songs lately and claims to be 'the best rapper alive', not only him but other people say the same thing.

[/b][/quote]

Lil' Wayne? The only thing I respect about him is that he's managed to convince the public and journalists he's the greatest rapper alive simply by telling them he is.

Aside from that, his music isn't for anywhere outside of a club. Some of the production is quite tight. But lyrically he isn't even average; I swear he changes the pronunciations of words just to make them rhyme. Flow is quite good, but that alone doesn't make a great rapper. Not that I've thought about it at all but there's no way in hell he'd even make my top 50. The hook he does for the Game song is alright though.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Jan 5 2009, 01:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (187 @ Jan 4 2009, 11:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Dec 29 2008, 08:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

Lil' Wayne? The only thing I respect about him is that he's managed to convince the public and journalists he's the greatest rapper alive simply by telling them he is.

Aside from that, his music isn't for anywhere outside of a club. Some of the production is quite tight. But lyrically he isn't even average; I swear he changes the pronunciations of words just to make them rhyme. Flow is quite good, but that alone doesn't make a great rapper. Not that I've thought about it at all but there's no way in hell he'd even make my top 50. The hook he does for the Game song is alright though.
[/b][/quote]

yeah, true that. i can't even understand him half the time, which is what i think u mean about the whole 'changes the pronounciations' of words just to make them rhyme. a million copies of his latest album in it's first week though is pretty impressive, i like a few of the songs off there, but yeah, he mumbles heaps. he's definately the biggest at the mo of his generation, lil bow wow, lil zane etc..

but yeah, lil wayne ain't in my top list of rappers. i think bone thugs & NWA deserve a mention amongst most influential/greatest artists of their genre.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (187 @ Jan 6 2009, 12:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
yeah, true that. i can't even understand him half the time, which is what i think u mean about the whole 'changes the pronounciations' of words just to make them rhyme. a million copies of his latest album in it's first week though is pretty impressive, i like a few of the songs off there, but yeah, he mumbles heaps. he's definately the biggest at the mo of his generation, lil bow wow, lil zane etc..[/b]

All by 14 year old wiggers who wear massive pinwheel hats no doubt, ie: the only age group that still buys new release albums.

The only rappers I can appreciate are ones from the East Coast (NYC) in the 1990's. Like Nas, Mobb Deep, Wu-Tang Clan, Big L, Eric B & Rakim etc...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Jan 5 2009, 02:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
hmm if i was making generalisations i'd say that the US is miles better in terms of current rock/ indie music.

though certainly over history we have produced some fantastic bands for such a small place![/b]

Yeah Ginger... you are right about modern rock indies, but believe these rock bands are frequently UK based

But as well as I am not the Modern Rock Indies fan I stand tough on my mind that UK is better than US in rock and not only (I mean 60s, 70s Rock music)

Except for Blues and Jazz where African Americans predominate over whole world

ftatrhl2.jpg

512QNHCC83L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (187 @ Jan 5 2009, 11:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Jan 5 2009, 01:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (187 @ Jan 4 2009, 11:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

yeah, true that. i can't even understand him half the time, which is what i think u mean about the whole 'changes the pronounciations' of words just to make them rhyme. a million copies of his latest album in it's first week though is pretty impressive, i like a few of the songs off there, but yeah, he mumbles heaps. he's definately the biggest at the mo of his generation, lil bow wow, lil zane etc..

but yeah, lil wayne ain't in my top list of rappers. i think bone thugs & NWA deserve a mention amongst most influential/greatest artists of their genre.
[/b][/quote]

Bone Thugs! Love them, very underrated group, they brought a completely different flow to hiphop that no one did before or has done since.

Them and NWA would both be high up my top list for collectives though Wu-Tang has to win it every time. Don't know whether rapper/ producer collaborations like Jedi Mind Tricks, Gang Starr, Black Star and DangerDoom would count as being a group but they're sick too. Dilated Peoples, dead prez, Demigodz, Outerspace, Deltron 3000, CunninLynguists, Little Brother, OutKast... the list goes on. Also gotta love Terra Firma which is Britian's best group by far.

Artists with a chosen song for each (in no particular order):

The Smiths - 'This Charming Man'

Pink Floyd - 'Wish You Were Here'

Jeff Buckley - 'Last Goodbye'

Jimi Hendrix - 'Little Wing'

The Cribs - 'Be Safe'

Joy Division - 'Transmission'

Kanye West - 'All Falls Down'

Paul Weller - 'Broken Stones'

Bob Dylan - 'Hurricane'

The Doors - 'The End'

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fred187 @ Jan 6 2009, 07:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

The Cribs - 'Be Safe'

Bob Dylan - 'Hurricane'

The Doors - 'The End'[/b]
Little wing is a great song by Hendrix, surprised you didnt go with Topol-If I were a rich man?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danny @ Jan 7 2009, 08:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fred187 @ Jan 6 2009, 07:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Cribs - 'Be Safe'

Bob Dylan - 'Hurricane'

Little wing is a great song by Hendrix, surprised you didnt go with Topol-If I were a rich man?
[/b][/quote]

That's hilarious - you said I should have chosen a song from a famous musical about Jews, because you don't believe I'm Jewish, and you're trying to use irony to espress that. You're so funny! Did you ever consider stand-up?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fred187 @ Jan 7 2009, 08:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danny @ Jan 7 2009, 08:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fred187 @ Jan 6 2009, 07:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Cribs - 'Be Safe'

Bob Dylan - 'Hurricane'

[/b][/quote]

That's hilarious - you said I should have chosen a song from a famous musical about Jews, because you don't believe I'm Jewish, and you're trying to use irony to espress that. You're so funny! Did you ever consider stand-up?
[/b][/quote]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fred187 @ Jan 7 2009, 09:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danny @ Jan 7 2009, 08:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No Im needed here.[/b]

Oh don't worry - there's plenty of morons in the world; we'll fill your spot easily.
[/b][/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: you two are classic!

Top 10 artists (in no order):

1.Pink Floyd
2.Jerry Lee Lewis
3.Elvis
4.Chuck Berry
5.Johnny Cash & June
6.Nickelback
7.Kid rock
8.Lynard skynard
9.Hank Williams jr
10.Ralph Stanley

Top 10 songs (in no order, trying to not include the same artist twice):