• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Am I Too Small For College Rugby in the U.S.?

smallrugby

Academy Player
Country Flag
United States
Club or Nation
United States
hey,

I am 5'4" (161cm) and 130lbs (59kg). I wrestled in highschool and played soccer, would I be too small for my colleges rugby team?

any advice would be helpful.

thanks

Not necessarily, Peter Stringer isnt much taller than yourself. Its all about weather you have the necessary skills to make it. Don't know if you follow the NFL but take Trindon Holliday as an example, short guy but can make the bigger guys look foolish when he's running a kick or a punt back.

Rugby, as much as physical prowess helps, isn't a closed shop for the smaller players if they have the skills required

hey,

I am 5'4" (161cm) and 130lbs (59kg). I wrestled in highschool and played soccer, would I be too small for my colleges rugby team?

thanks

No. I've played prems in Australia with a half back your height and he was great. You are pretty much going to be limited to playing no 9 though. Maybe wing.

hey,

thanks
how old are you just asking (no pedo)

There was a 5'4 kid playing 7s for UCLA at the CRC this year and generally doing pretty well (although he did go low on one of the Cal guys and got hurdled). You'll be fine.

Not necessarily, Peter Stringer isnt much taller than yourself. Its all about weather you have the necessary skills to make it. Don't know if you follow the NFL but take Trindon Holliday as an example, short guy but can make the bigger guys look foolish when he's running a kick or a punt back.

Rugby, as much as physical prowess helps, isn't a closed shop for the smaller players if they have the skills required

Yeah but:

Trindon Holliday 1,65 cm and 80 kg
Peter Stringer 1,70 cm and 73 kg

He only weighs 59 kg, he should gain more muscle mass and weigh at least 70 kg.

Cheers

hey,

thanks

Your size is no barrier but you will be limited in where you can play; I'd say scrum half would be your best bet.

Take this guy for example...

Alexander Yanyushkin. Russian international Scrum Half

5'5" 165 lb

61 caps for Russia (including 3 in the World Cup in NZ 2011) over a persio of 11 years from 2002 - 2013

First test selection at 19 years old and still playing!

Last edited:
There was a 5'4 kid playing 7s for UCLA at the CRC this year and generally doing pretty well (although he did go low on one of the Cal guys and got hurdled). You'll be fine.

You can't hurdle someone or jump in the tackle, that's a penalty offence.

Take a leaf out of Benoit Paillaugue book( Montpellier's no 9) he is playing TOP 14 rugby in France,the best in Europe, he is 1.72cm and 74kgsand was born 17/11/87. tackles like a demon sometimes players nerly twice his size, i remember Henry Tualagi, 120kgs 10 mts from the Montpellier try line with only Benoit to beat, Benoit nailed him with a perfect tackle arond the knees no try. Size does help but heart is much more important, get on the machine and create some muscle strengh and the the rest will follow if the head is in the right place. Bon Chance.

YEH MAN, YOU'RE WAY TOO SMALL !!! RAAAAAAHHH !!!!!

well no man, since you're a bit shorter, you're also faster, quicker. Use that to your advantage. Cliché but still real examples are Bernat-Salles and Dominici scoring tries against NZ in the 1999 RWC match (which you really should watch if you haven't already, should be inspiring for you to see 'smaller' wingers score over the best team in the world in a semi-final multiple times).
Or Shane Williams, I believe the best try-scorer in Welsh Rugby history.

Damn, that's small but yeah, if you have good spacial awareness, a good reading of the game and most importantly a good pass then there is no reason why you can't play than at 9. If you have good speed and evasion then you could play on the wing as well but you'd be required to defend more though than at 9. No reason why this should be a problem with good tackling technique. I know the hardest I've been tackled was by a tiny guy that got me unawares and tripped me up while I was at full tilt. And on the wing and at 9 defense is less of an issue while for a flank or center it is a core duty.

Big Ewis, I call BS on the "since you're a bit shorter, you're also faster, quicker."; possibly quicker in the sense of acceleration or quicker in that you have a better chance of having a good step but generally its the bigger guys that are faster. Just look at Usain Bolt, the guy is pretty tall. I'm 1,92m and 102kg and would be pretty confident of outstripping anyone who isn't a pro sprinter in a footrace over anything more than 40m even at my ripe old age of 31.

Last edited:
This should answer your question:

From the "Laws of the Game"

Principles of the Game
The wide variation of skills and physical requirements needed for the Game mean that there is an opportunity for individuals of every shape, size and ability to participate at all levels.

Never too small. I'm 168cm and 75kg and play Hooker or Flanker. Get into the gym and bulk up a bit and it will do your rugby no end of good. Prevents a lot of upper body injuries for us smaller blokes too.

Latest posts