• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Am I too small for college Rugby?

Eazy A

Academy Player
Country Flag
United States
Hi everyone this is my first post here since I am about to start paying rugby for the first time. I just signed up for the rugby team at my school and I am a little concerned that I am too small for the sport. I am 5ft 8in and about 225 pounds. So any insight on whether or not my size will be an issue or what position I should go out for would be greatly appreciated

Welcome aboard Eazy A.

I don't know imeprial measurements, but I know that nobody's too small for rugby. You'll play prop I guess since you seem to be quite heavy....

No, your size is fine. As long as you aren't intimidated. I've been hit hard by guys your size.

What state are you in?

What school are you at?

What is your sporting background previous to Rugby?

As far as position, I would assume anything from scrum half to possibly hooker...no clue how you carry your 225 or what your fitness and quickness levels are as I've not really seen you out on the pitch. Really, let your coach sort that out. If you're new to the sport you have a bit of learning ahead of you, especially in regards to the difference in tackling from American Football, the passing, and the many various rules. Go out, have fun and train hard. Please hit us back with any questions you have.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
5'8 is fine. As long as you're not looking to play second row you'll fit in pretty much anywhere depending on speed and strength and the like.

Im roughly around the same height, but am around 11 1/2 stone (162 pounds I think?) and have been playing rugby for a couple of years now, so I wouldnt worry about being too small to play! There's shorter and lighter people in my team who're some of our best players. One of the best things about rugby is thats its a game for all shapes and sizes :) Im off to University in a month too and cant wait to get into rugby there, so I guess im in a similar boat to you!

ah your never too small to kick ass on a rugby field..you guys will laugh but one of the best rugby players i have played with is 5 foot 4 ..little stump of a guy strong as an ox centr of gravity somewhere brushing the grass and is as fast as **** off a shovel..size does not matter...except in the showers......it can be rather demeaning...

You might want to cut down on the weight a bit. You sound like you might end up playing prop and scrums are a funny competition but also dangerous. Cut down your weight and try to get a start on the wing.

You might want to cut down on the weight a bit. You sound like you might end up playing prop and scrums are a funny competition but also dangerous. Cut down your weight and try to get a start on the wing.

How dare you! I'll have you know that the front row is a magical place where anything can happen.

Anything.................

Seriously though, don't let Sam scare you, prop is not that dangerous once you know what you're doing/ been coached properly. Its also very satisfying to see attributes not normally rewarded in field sports paying off ( Weight/Strength coupled with low height). Love driving back some big tall fat lump who thinks he's got my number.

Lol sorry durbutter Ive only played prop once in my life not that Im a big guy its just that we were outta props and no one wanted to play prop so I thought 'pffft, here Ill do it', and that was the last time I'll ever do that again. The opposite prop just gave it to me in the scrum he must've been thinkin 'oh so you think you can play prop do ya', and built up all his strength to make me regret ever packin' down. Had a sore neck, shoulders and back during the scrum but walked away fine but with a new understanding of scrums.

Scrumming isnt that bad Eazy A if your taught right and apply correct technique but Im sure they'll put you out on the wing thats where most beginners start.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

I am glad that I'm not too small for rugby since this is something I have wanted to do for quite a while, I guess I just felt like the little guy since a lot of my friends are 6ft 3in to 6ft 5in.

And to answer your questions ORothlain I live in California and go to California State University Fullerton which has a very strong rugby program due to the fact that we do not have a football team. As far as sporting background I did Judo for a while till I dislocated my knee and have been in the Police program at Fullerton College so I am not in bad shape but my cardio could be better.

As far as position goes I think since I am new to the sport the coach most likely will put me at wing to learn the sport, but then again he might do something completely different.

I am just stoked to start playing!

Slightly o/t, but where are you going?

Am off to Swansea to do German :D am undecided whether to trial for the Uni's rugby team though, i've heard it costs a bomb for membership, kits, club ties and shirts, so on so forth. Found more of a social side called the Swansea Uni Babaas, and might check out the Rugby League team as well. You're up in Aberystwyth arent you?

Am off to Swansea to do German :D am undecided whether to trial for the Uni's rugby team though, i've heard it costs a bomb for membership, kits, club ties and shirts, so on so forth. Found more of a social side called the Swansea Uni Babaas, and might check out the Rugby League team as well. You're up in Aberystwyth arent you?
Aye, I remember you mentioning in another thread you were possibly off to Swansea,
And I am indeed, same BUCS league as Swansea this year as well :p

Aye, I remember you mentioning in another thread you were possibly off to Swansea,
And I am indeed, same BUCS league as Swansea this year as well :p

Ahh fair dos :p I had to search BUCS League to find out what it was...
Should be interesting anyway :D I have no idea at all how good either Uni is at sport :L only that I think Swansea beat Cardiff last year

I am glad that I'm not too small for rugby since this is something I have wanted to do for quite a while, I guess I just felt like the little guy since a lot of my friends are 6ft 3in to 6ft 5in.

And to answer your questions ORothlain I live in California and go to California State University Fullerton which has a very strong rugby program due to the fact that we do not have a football team. As far as sporting background I did Judo for a while till I dislocated my knee and have been in the Police program at Fullerton College so I am not in bad shape but my cardio could be better.

As far as position goes I think since I am new to the sport the coach most likely will put me at wing to learn the sport, but then again he might do something completely different.

You'll do well. Judo gives people a great sense of balance, etc...
Collegiate Rugby in America is great fun. Especially on the West Coast as you guys have some of the strongest traditions in America. I lived in San Diego for a while and played a bit with OMBAC. Great clubs out there. I've also coached collegiate rugby at the University of Central Oklahoma. So feel free to hit me up with questions or whatever and I'll do what I can. I'm moving back out west this month, albeit to Phoenix. Cali's sooooo expensive, lol.

What is your sprint speed over 110 yards? If it is in the 13 second, maybe even 14 or less you should play inside centre, bulldozing some midget flyhalf is fun, especially when they think they are pretty boys.

Your size is fine. What's more important is your fitness level and how you're carrying your 225 lbs. Also since you're new to the sport you will have a bit of a learning curve that you must deal with in order to get use to the rules and the fundamentals. Just worry about training and getting yourself in the best possible condition and let the coach figure out what position you're best suited for.

Don't bother with the Swansea Uni team. Bunch of pricks and we dick em every year in the Varsity! Which I'm sure you will experience next May! :p

08_midget.gif

This guy might be too small for rugby.

Latest posts