• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Amazon eyeing up Premiership rights.

Do that, and I will finally get Amazon prime (properly, not just the free trial)

I bet Amazon would show every game.

I'd prefer this to bt

I'm torn, i've not been convinced by the in game coverage. The punditry has been good though with the likes of Hartley, Habana and Kayser proving to be a breath of fresh air. I appreciate it was the first venture and there would be improvement but I prefer the BT coverage so far.

Abraxaz, BT do show every game but just on their extra channels not on the main 3.

Hopefully, if it does happen, they'll just absorb a lot of the BT staff.
Kind of like with the RWC coverage when they just take who they want from elsewhere

Do you just need the normal Amazon Prime subscription to get the TV/Sport channels?

ie £79 a year for prime delivery etc?

Looks like change is on the cards as BT Sport's final £40m p.a offer has been turned down.

Looks like change is on the cards as BT Sport's final £40m p.a offer has been turned down.
Linky

BT have been turned down, having offered to extend on the current terms (£40M p.a.).

I hope to the gods that means that Amazon have offered more (or a terrestrial channel has offered broadly similar); not that CVC have become too greedy in the present environment, and cut their nose off to spite their face / shifting us to pay-per-view.

Would be interesting to see what kind of numbers the Autumn Nations Cup pulled in?
Realistically Amazon could double, triple, quadruple, that BT offer and it wouldn't make a dent - so I guess it's more down to what their numbers were like/how many new subs they got etc. (/if their head of sports streaming is a rugby fan, I guess)

I've always quite liked the BT Sport coverage.

I didn't like the picture style that Amazon used in the Autumn Nations - I'm sure there's a techie term for it, but whatever it was it didn't float my boat. Anyhow, may be academic. This is from yesterday's Times......

"Mick Crossan, the owner of London Irish, has claimed that Amazon Prime has thrown its hat into the ring but it is not thought the streaming service has made an offer.

Amazon did win the rights to rugby's Autumn Nations Cup, and has the rights to two rounds of Premier League football, but it would be a big departure from its usual way of operating for the platform to start broadcasting a full league programme over several years and industry insiders are doubtful as to whether it would see value in paying more than the BT offer to do so".

Amazon could well not offer anything.
Although they did pay £11 million a year for the ATP (Which is only a week long thing).

End of the day Amazon I don't think really cares if this stuff brings in more people, I feel they only care about building a big enough library to keep people in.
I reckon amazon will try to build enough of a offering to up the price to £10 a month.

End of the day Amazon I don't think really cares if this stuff brings in more people, I feel they only care about building a big enough library to keep people in.
That's a good point, the cross-platform tie ins they could do would be pretty simple
"Celebrate ****'s win by treating yourself to a shirt - currently on sale on Amazon Prime!"

Linky

BT have been turned down, having offered to extend on the current terms (£40M p.a.).

I hope to the gods that means that Amazon have offered more (or a terrestrial channel has offered broadly similar); not that CVC have become too greedy in the present environment, and cut their nose off to spite their face / shifting us to pay-per-view.
I fear exactly that.

The BT offer was pretty much retaining the financial status quo which in the current climate doesn't feel too bad at all.

If there's a better offer out there then great, but if it ends up on a pay platform I don't already have I probably wouldn't be inclined to get it. We already have BT Sport, Sky Sports and Prime courtesy of Mrs OH's shopping. I'm not going to go chasing it.

Amazon make most of thier money from data analytics than prime/sales (well the money they make of it most of it is third parties these days). So all they want is people in thier ecosystem much like Google.

If Amazon do go ahead I strongly suspect it will be a separate service to prime, they have already done equivalent with a music and documentary streaming service, doubt this will be much different.

Latest posts