• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

American Football vs. Rugby

i agree american footbal is a little...boring

they stop-and-start too much and there isn't enough continuous action like in rugby

rugby wins...

I like watching American football, but I have to be in the right mood, and it has to be a good game to grab my attention for the full match. I do love playing it on Wii though. But I absolutely love Rugby, I can watch it anytime. American football doesn't match up to it at all in my eyes.

Whilst i like the Madden games, i find it too be boring, not enough action. Soft helmets etc. needs a speed increase.

Rugby of course.. why do you think I registered here on therugbyforum.com anyway :p.

Rugby by far. Don't get me wrong, I do watch NFL, but generally only actually become glued to the screen in the final period, as it's where things can change. Too many players, far too many stoppages can make it a chore to stay up and watch a match you were looking forward to.

Gridiron is a pretty rough game but the padding and protection decreases it to a soft game, now rugby that's my sport from the dummying to side steps I think it's the winner.

when i saw the super bowl last time i was very disappointed lol
american football could be a cool sport but it´s destroyed by all the commercial. ( the commercial break really bored me...)
and i think in rugby you have a better contact to your team members. It´s fighting side by side with your team while in american football it´s a little bit more about who is the coolest guy

wrong way around man.

Blockers work hard with runners and the qb always communicates with his wide receivers.

I developed an interest in NFL through playing year after year of Madden ***les and slowly developed a small understanding of it. When you look at the small things that each guy has to do its pretty amazing but it has nothing on rugby i mean with all the padding and the stopping every 45 seconds to have a chat and catch your breath.

I reckon some of the linebackers would do quite nicely as loose fowards if they could learn the rules, they are monsters!

i mean with all the padding and the stopping every 45 seconds to have a chat and catch your breath. [/b]

45 seconds??? Yep...that sounds right....3 seconds of play...and the rest is discussion time.

I actually think the one thing that makes American Football a pussy game is the fact that they NEVER play TIRED! Because playing "tired" is the one thing in sport that seperates the weak from the strong. For instance I played a game of rugby last weekend (the first in ten years). The first 5 minutes I was the man lol! Running around and smashing anything that moved. After 5 minutes my lack of real fitness caught up on me....then suddenly I was getting stepped, getting fended, pushed off, run around etc. I started to doubt my tackling technique and began to worry that I was gonna hurt myself because I knew I was too tired to time my tackles correctly and that my technique was getting sloppier. My body was screaming at me for the rest of the game to stop moving. It is THEN when rugby players are tired that they are tested to their limits and they have to make a choice whether to keep going or to give in to their body and roll over.

American Football players are never asked that question because they are never pushed to play to a point of tiredness. They run for a bit...then rest for a lot. You don't have to be fit to be a good Gridiron player...you have to be FAST and STRONG. So in short it is a game for those with a lot to show but have no inner go.

I wouldn't say that man I dare you to play a game of gridiron. You get tired just as fast imo. Even with the breaks every play you have to sprint your ass off. In rugby you can rest and can afford to play at 3/4 pace. Both sports require a diffrent kind of fitness Rugby using anarobic fitness and football mainly using muscular strenghth and endurance. They are both hard they're just a diffrent type of 'hard'. This is a poor analogy but its like comparing a hotdog eating competition to a chicken wing eating competition.

Yes but the American Football fitness is not the type that "asks the question" of your character. It is simply pure speed or pure strength and the recovery time is more than long enough to prevent your body going into oxygen debt. Rugby may be 3/4 pace most of the time but it always keeps you in a constant need for oxygen and there are moments when you have to go at 100% pace. I don't think I have ever seen a line of scrimmage in American Football on TV where the players are puffed out...however with rugby at lineouts or scrums or whenever they reset play there are always players puffing at every grade level. This is simply because rugby puts you into oxygen debt. Rugby players experience what Boxers experience in a LONG fight who are fatigued but must keep their guard up. American Football is like a fight that throws all its combos very quickly then goes and sits down to recover.

I think I personally would enjoy Gridiron because it would give me a chance to recover. My will to win would always be high because I wouldn't be fatigued the way I would be in rugby. I would never experience the runners "wall" or anything similar because I would not go into oxygen debt. Every once in a while I would also sit on the side for a longer break as the other half of my team went on.

It still depends really, most people have either anaerobic or muscular fitness. Just because have great anaerobic fitness doesn't mean you wont be puffing your ass off when your doing something that focuses more muscular endurance. Also if your on defense and offense is consistently playing like **** you will have a LONG game ahead of you. Doesn't Auckland have about gridiron 3 comps up there? Play the game and tell me you weren't puffing your ass off during the season. In Rugby you can afford to slack off in certain times during the game in Gridiron that sort of thing will get you smashed. Also take into consideration that NFL players are pure athletes and are built for muscular endurance. They are on another level of athleticism that few rugby players can touch. I have more of an anaerobic fitness so rugby suits me better.

Latest posts