• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

American Football vs. Rugby

<div class='quotemain'>

I would like to say though, that the Quarterback position is the most demanding mentally and physically in any sport on the planet.

[/b]

No. You know not of what you speak. They are women.
[/b][/quote]

That's why there are only about 10 people on the entire planet who can even compete at the highest level of the game. It's the hardest position to play. You can't just be a top athlete you also have to be smart, and intelligence isn't something most athletes have an abundance of.

Although other times you just have to be able to run a sub 4.3 40 and be able to throw the ball into the parking lot from your own 20 yard line and you'll get a 130 million dollar contract... until you get snapped for fighting dogs.

Ron Mexico - How I miss you.

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>

I would like to say though, that the Quarterback position is the most demanding mentally and physically in any sport on the planet.

[/b]

[/b][/quote]

That's why there are only about 10 people on the entire planet who can even compete at the highest level of the game. It's the hardest position to play. You can't just be a top athlete you also have to be smart, and intelligence isn't something most athletes have an abundance of.
[/b][/quote]
That's because they don't want to compete in Gridiron, as it is a mongrel of a sport...

Probably the wrong forum to ask which you prefer more.

But i go with Rugby.

Although, when i get a chance, i love watching Pads-And-Helmet Ball.

Erm, let`s see- in gridiron, you have a whole team just to kick off. Then you have a different team to field a kickoff. Then there`s a whole different team for fieldgoals. Another one for playing regular offense. Plus yet another for the specific purpose of defense. Added to that, those much-talked about quarterbacks basically play like pre-programmed robots. The coach gives you the call, and you execute it. Simple really, even though it obviously requires a lot of skill.

Now, let`s just compare that to rugby. Your prop`s primary function is to gain or prevent a good right shoulder in the scrums, depending on if you`re loosehead or tighthead. They must also support the catchers at lineout or kickoffs. Add to that cleaning out in the rucks, adding your bulk to the mauls, taking the ball up in offence and smashing people back on defense. So basically, IMO, even a prop forward in rugby is a more complete athlete than any gridiron player.

Add to that the fact that there`s not a single timeout in rugby. Yup, that`s right. As a player, you need to analyse everything that happens on the field, assess the situation immediately, and act accordingly. Sure, there`s a halftime break plus the odd message relayed via the physio at injuries. But it`s still up to the individual players to make each and every call on offence and/or defense.

Now, don`t get me wrong. I do actually enjoy watching gridiron. The game certainly has it`s appeals- being able to legally tackle any player, whether he`s the ball-carrier or not, certainly looks like a helluva lot of fun. But i.t.o. overall athletic ability, there is just no comparison between the 2 codes.

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
or be dumb and cocky and take orders well. I respect very few qb's. most are just out of control ego machines...as are a growing contingent of wide recievers

Rugby (or any sport) would be as complicated with strategies as Gridiron if at every tackle that stopped and formed a scrum and the backs had time to figure out which mopve they were going to do and at the put into the uncontested scrum no one in the backs on both sides were allowed to move until the halfback passed it out except for one player. Yep there would be tonnes of strategies alright.

There would also be tonnes of scrums.....and as you know stoppages for scrums and lineouts can be a bit boring if it is an entire games worth lol!

So yeah rugby would be more strategic with so much time to plan the next backline move....but that time to plan would also make it less interesting to watch as a spectacle.

Rugby by Gridiron players lol!

Anyway....if you want to watch Gridiron players who have been set free to run the ball like rugby players then click on the link below. With the pressure of the last play of the game and being two points behind this team decides to go all out passing it around like rugby players. IT IS THE LONGEST PLAY I have seen of Gridiron and the players actaully show that they could very well be magnificent rugby players and would probably enjoy rugby more.

I use to watch Nfl alot but took too long to watch a full game I think its 40-48min long but takes nearly 2-3 hours because of all the stoppages and such.

Rugby on the other hand is 80min played in less than half the time of a Nfl game. Also with Rugby all the players on the field have to do both offense and defence where as with the Nfl some players have never touched the ball in their whole career.

It seems to me that the American football have been too loaded with rules and stops, because of it it became not interesting. Instead of it, rugby is dynamical and interesting game.
with the Nfl some players have never touched the ball in their whole career[/b]
:bravo:

All I know is that I would sacrifice many a goat to get Adrian Peterson to run out for a test match in All Black colours

All I know is that I would sacrifice many a goat to get Adrian Peterson to run out for a test match in All Black colours [/b]

Indeed, him or LT wearing the 13 jersey would be fantastic. All that would sure they'd have to learn how to tackle and pass, but players with those types of athletic abillities just aren't in World Rugby.

All I know is that I would sacrifice many a goat to get Adrian Peterson to run out for a test match in All Black colours [/b]
Yes, Boomer Sooner! He's an Okie like me!

NFL is boring. Simple.

Compared to rugby its just crap. This thing about strategic plays in NFL.. load of rubbish. 2 minutes of stoppages to come up with a strategy.. and 9 times out of 10 never works!

Rugby is more free flowing, and a much more better spectacle to watch. As seen by some North Americans here they say they loved NFL but after discovering rugby, they find NFL less exciting. Which is good to hear.

Reading all the comments above I couldn't agree more that rugby shits all over NFL.

Go rugby.

Rugby does make you excited when you see someone going in for a try or a drop kick and I don't feel that when I watch an NFL game. I do prefer Rugby but I'm not saying American Football is bad.

There was an American at a Saints reserves game I went to last night, even she said the NFL is a load of ********, notably she was taking the **** out of the hour long game taking 6 1/2 hours and the best part of the Superboal being the adverts...

Says enough about it really.

There was an American at a Saints reserves game I went to last night, even she said the NFL is a load of ********, notably she was taking the **** out of the hour long game taking 6 1/2 hours and the best part of the Superboal being the adverts...

Says enough about it really. [/b]

Gridiron is just lame...no amount of razzmatazz & hyperbole can cover it up. Look at the fuss caused when a college gridiron team are forced to play a bit of rugby in that YouTube video up there.

<div class='quotemain'> There was an American at a Saints reserves game I went to last night, even she said the NFL is a load of ********, notably she was taking the **** out of the hour long game taking 6 1/2 hours and the best part of the Superboal being the adverts...

Says enough about it really. [/b]

Gridiron is just lame...no amount of razzmatazz & hyperbole can cover it up. Look at the fuss caused when a college gridiron team are forced to play a bit of rugby in that YouTube video up there.
[/b][/quote]

Ignorance.

American Football at the college level is one of the most passionate, beautiful sports on the planet. The kids play for pure love of the game and for wanting to win so bad to reach the National Championship. One loss and you're most likely done, every game matters. I've had the privelage of seeing The Ohio State University play at Ohio Stadium multiple times and i hate to be honest but seeing that stadium packed with 100,000+ all wearing red is something that is not experienced to often in rugby at any level. If it's lame to see amatuer athletes lay it all on the line, for themselves, the state, the university then i dont know what exciting is.

You guys don't understand, the tradition of the game is up there with any other game in the world. There is nothing like college football in this world. The rivalries, the passion, the tradition.

And our football is a lot like your football. One play can change a game, one simple play can change the course of the entire game, each play when those players line up you don't know whats coming, you don't know if its going to be a run or if the defense is going to get burned and your team takes it to the house, or if you will throw a interception that brings the other team right into it. Very similar to your football in that one penalty can change a match, one goal can make a difference, one pass, one slip etc.

Fair point DC

Though to be fair ANY sport that is played to its unmost passion could make the same claim. I'm sure with every sport there is the same amount of drama and action at the highest level even if the sport is totally dull as a spectacle. Gee watching a darts tournament there is a lot of tension amongst the players but it is hard to get totally into it as a neutral as the spectacle itself is visually lacking.

I think the commentators in Gridiron need to be more enthused. Perhaps they could take a leaf out of Colin Montgomery's book and listen to the way he commentates America's Cup yachting. Yep....a commentator can make even Yachting look exciting if he is skilled enough. There needs to be more emphasis for the commentator on calling and trying to predict what the teams are trying to do so that the viewer will become more excited with the ANTICIPATION factor. Just assuming the viewers are clued on often leaves people wondering what just happened AFTER the fact and constantly being behind the 8 ball.

Latest posts