• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Americans actually watch rugby?

Tyler Woods

Academy Player
Country Flag
United States
Club or Nation
Brumbies
Yes, and footy too.:) I've been a Brumbies fan since my last trip to Australia in 2000, bit of a downturn lately, but some of the rookies look promising. I will probably read more and post less.

Are you asking a question? The answer would be, they barely watch rugby. Way more than 5-6 years ago. But the availability is still limited and there isn't much knowledge about the professional game over here outside of the expats that play.

Doesn't bode well for me. I should be states side in about a year- don't really want to rely on streaming sites to watch rugby

We would if we could find a channel that would broadcast it. Oh there are some out there, but who can afford the monthly fee. My husband isn't willing to cut back on the grocery bill just so I can watch rugby. Crazy, I know. What is he thinking? *grin* Don't worry, I'm working on getting him addicted too.

Really, it's very frustrating.

I lived in South Africa for 7 years and watched a lot of rugby, but I'm in the US now and have no idea how I can watch rugby from here.

Can anyone point me to any online sites or US tv channels that show live rugby games?

Thank you in advance!

Doesn't bode well for me. I should be states side in about a year- don't really want to rely on streaming sites to watch rugby

I lived in South Africa for 7 years and watched a lot of rugby, but I'm in the US now and have no idea how I can watch rugby from here.

Can anyone point me to any online sites or US tv channels that show live rugby games?

Thank you in advance!

I have DirecTV. With it I pay extra for Fox Soccer Plus, which airs mostly northern hemi matches, such as Aviva, Pro 12, and Heineken Cup. The problem is that it only shows select matches, so you are not guaranteed to be able to watch your favorite teams.

FSP also has Super League, State of Origin, and other rugby league matches, as well as a bit of Aussie Rules. http://www.foxsoccerplus.com/

Also - and I'm not sure if it's because I get FSP, or not - on DirecTV they also air live (and free!) southern hemi games on channel 490 (in my case) - but they only air them once, and that's usually in the middle of the night, so you need to have recording capabilities. So far this year they've had Super Rugby (Super 15), a few spring tours, and Rugby Championship.

I've been watching rugby here in the States for about 10 or 11 years now. It's here, you just might have to dish out a few extra bucks a month (About $16) to be able to watch it (rugby is also occasionally aired on other channels, but it's usually obscure teams, or 7s).

das

Last edited:
Are you asking a question? The answer would be, they barely watch rugby. Way more than 5-6 years ago. But the availability is still limited and there isn't much knowledge about the professional game over here outside of the expats that play.

An american Ulster fan! First I seen an english fan and now a yank :lol:

Latest posts