• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

An open letter to World Rugby.

chopsaw89

Academy Player
Country Flag
France
Club or Nation
Bayonne
I said in my previous post that knocking the referees is not a good thing; but criticism were criticism is due.

The first try Australia scored from an interception was from an offside position.

The second try scored was from a non knock on by Argentina.

The last try of the game was a forward pass.

So that is 21 point that should not have been!

Now the refereeing of this tournament has been a blight and it has got worse as the tournament has gone on. Rugby refereeing is falling apart at the seams and it is not an acceptable position for teams to be losing games due to poor and incorrect calls.

If people thing this is an acceptable standard then quite simply "they are off their rockers and have not got a value! "

This is not acceptable for fans who pay one heck of a lot of money to sub standard refereeing that costs their teams a place.

Rugby is becoming a joke!

Referees are bring the game into disrepute and World Rugby have got the cheek to say the refereeing standard has been good.

Nigle ownes is the ref at the final and he is the best referee in the world.

HE IS THE BEST OF A POOR BUNCH AND I am sorry about this but it's not good enough, for the fans and the players!!!!!

GET A GRIP - WORLD RUGBY.

I am a fan of the game who is getting disenfranchiesd with:

The standard of refereeing and the Excuses coming from World Rugby to try and cover the inaquacies of the game.

RWC 2015 = an unjust standard for re by fans.

To finish I have not heard so much booing of referees as I have in this tournament and that picture tells a thousand words.

Wayne Barnes is an f**king disgrace and blight on the game, you will only find bias English muppets defending this mans complete and utter embarrassing incompetence. Only in an England RWC would this barnacle get a semi-final and as predicted, he gets one and ruins it, it was all so predictable.

Wayne Barnes is an f**king disgrace and blight on the game, you will only find bias English muppets defending this mans complete and utter embarrassing incompetence. Only in an England RWC would this barnacle get a semi-final and as predicted, he gets one and ruins it, it was all so predictable.

Joubert is awful too.

There just needs to be definitive rules about when the TMO is used. There are 2 solutions:

1. We keep the system as it is and stop whining when marginal calls don't go out way.

2. The coach has 2 challenges, watching things on quick replay and during breaks of play.

What do you think?

I agree about the last try though, Adam Ashley Cooper looked a bit sheepish, knowing that Mitchell's ball went forward. (He should have gone of glory and finished one of the great tries)

When you get down to it Jouberts the only one who made a call that definitively probably lost a side a game and even that was understandable how he came to that conclusion in real time.

Think way too much is being made of refereeing.

I'm not making excuses for some poor ref decisions, but it's got to be the toughest job on the paddock. Would you want to ref a rwc final? a semi? hell even a clutch pool game.
In a practical sense though, we can only leave it with the status quo and perhaps remove some grey areas from the rulebook. The alternative is bring TMO into everything and slow the game down like NFL and stretch it out to a 2hour plus game. I don't think anyone wants that

We shouldnt be so hard on refs.
They are human beings and can make mistakes.
But I like the idea of teams having the possibility of challenges and tmo requests.

Well one alternative would be already to change the concept of refering.
Today, ref is Directing the game, he can decide wether to give a penalty for a foul or not to, depending on his OWN beliefs.
Referees are made stars, Joubert was made one even thou all europe saw his match in 2011, this year his fall was at the level of the love france gives him.
Referees are NOT suppsoed to be stars.

A good ref is one you forget about. Nowadays, the name of the ref is as important as the players on the field.

Cos NONE of them "directs" the game the same way. They all use Tmo their own way, they all see scrums their own way.
From one ref to another, on the very same scrum , i bet we would get at least 3 different sanctions.

And thats the case for every aspect of the game.

So , standardize the way referees act, and let them be just "referees", not directors of game with gigantic egos.

Last edited:
Of course, lets forget about the players who drop the ball, throw forward passes, miss tackles, throw crooked into lineouts, knock the ball on, collapse scrums, mauls and rucks, enter tackle zones, rucks and mauls illegally, play opponents in the air or without the ball, don't support their own weight, don't roll away and don't release the ball and the tackled player and commit acts of dangerous or foul play!

Their actions have no bearing on the results of matches, its all the referee's fault

+1 but the idiots need someone to blame other than their particular teams who never make an error or commit a foul!!

I said in my previous post that knocking the referees is not a good thing; but criticism were criticism is due.

The first try Australia scored from an interception was from an offside position.

The second try scored was from a .. blah blah blah I have no class

images

Of course, lets forget about the players who drop the ball, throw forward passes, miss tackles, throw crooked into lineouts, knock the ball on, collapse scrums, mauls and rucks, enter tackle zones, rucks and mauls illegally, play opponents in the air or without the ball, don't support their own weight, don't roll away and don't release the ball and the tackled player and commit acts of dangerous or foul play!

Their actions have no bearing on the results of matches, its all the referee's fault

Feel free to open a thread about forward passes and mistakes players make.

Not only its not the subject but not what is said.
YOU make retarded shortcuts.
Referees are part of the game, so are players.
Players make mistake, so do referees.
Players can be criticised, ref can too, its simple as that.

A player influencing the result of the game is NORMAL, a ref doing it isnt. Speakin of solutions to avoid them to be in this situation is a good thing, despite ur efforts to troll any intelligent discussion.
The way Joubert was killed is the consequences of all the dysfunction of the refering system in rugby.
If you agree with this public bash Joubert suffered as the solution for a better system, its your problem, we dont.

The way referees are exposed puts them in that situation.
World Rugby washes its hand of he problems by burning Joubert, one needs to be blind to imagine hes the reason of this fiasco.

Already a good thing woudl be to freeze rules for at least 5 years, not change one every 10 month.

Last edited:
Well here's my 6p worth

I think the refereeing at this World Cup has been pretty good overall, and certainly nowhere near as bad as some people are making it out to be. There have not been a lot of actual mistakes (i.e. Law errors) only a couple of controversial decisions, and even the worst of those (the penalty that allowed Australia to rob Scotland of a place in the semi-finals) was an understandable error for which the vilification and OTT reaction by fans and the gutter snipes of the British press was totally out of order and uncalled for.

The vast majority of the complaints about referees have been as a result of one-eyed interpreations by fans for decisions they see as mistakes simply because they saw it differently.

Frankly, IMO, the OP's "Open Letter" is nothing more than a load of hot air with no subsance, evidence or fact.

Well here's my 6p worth

I think the refereeing at this World Cup has been pretty good overall, and certainly nowhere near as bad as some people are making it out to be. There have not been a lot of actual mistakes (i.e. Law errors) only a couple of controversial decisions, and even the worst of those (the penalty that allowed Australia to rob Scotland of a place in the semi-finals) was an understandable error for which the vilification and OTT reaction by fans and the gutter snipes of the British press was totally out of order and uncalled for.

The vast majority of the complaints about referees have been as a result of one-eyed interpreations by fans for decisions they see as mistakes simply because they saw it differently.

Frankly, IMO, the OP's "Open Letter" is nothing more than a load of hot air with no subsance, evidence or fact.

I'd also argue context is a little important in a lot of these mistakes. For instance, your claim here that Joubert's mistake "allowed Australia to rob Scotland of a place in the semis" (not discounting that Peyper's mistake allowed Scotland to rob Japan of their spot in the qtrs a week earlier) ignores several factors and simply assumes that if Australia had been given a scrum just outside Scotland's 22 that the Wallabies' then dominant scrum either wouldn't have got a penalty from the Scots tiring forwards in that scrum, or scored a try, or played until an advantage was called and kicked a field goal. What you're also forgetting is Scotland had about a minute left to play after that goal was kicked, and THEY KICKED LONG. A braindead decision if ever I've seen one, and one that certainly robbed them of even the slimmest chance of redemption because it removed any chance they had to win back possession from the kick off.

Sorry to bang on about it, but for a bloke who knows the rules pretty well and generally isn't big on sweeping statements, I thought it was an odd one to read from you.

Well here's my 6p worth

Hear hear!
Refereeing improves year on year.
That there's only been one real "clanger" (which was more than excusable due to positioning) shows that refereeing is as good as it's been so far.

I'd also argue context is a little important in a lot of these mistakes. For instance, your claim here that Joubert's mistake "allowed Australia to rob Scotland of a place in the semis" (not discounting that Peyper's mistake allowed Scotland to rob Japan of their spot in the qtrs a week earlier) ignores several factors and simply assumes that if Australia had been given a scrum just outside Scotland's 22 that the Wallabies' then dominant scrum either wouldn't have got a penalty from the Scots tiring forwards in that scrum, or scored a try, or played until an advantage was called and kicked a field goal. What you're also forgetting is Scotland had about a minute left to play after that goal was kicked, and THEY KICKED LONG. A braindead decision if ever I've seen one, and one that certainly robbed them of even the slimmest chance of redemption because it removed any chance they had to win back possession from the kick off.

Sorry to bang on about it, but for a bloke who knows the rules pretty well and generally isn't big on sweeping statements, I thought it was an odd one to read from you.

Context is important but I defend my assertion that Scotland were robbed by a wrong decision. I know that, being Australian, you will be deparate to find something to justify lessening the impact of that wrong decision. Had that simply been ruled as it should have been, a knock on by Scotland, the score would have remained tha same and a scrum would have resulted (and you weren't exactly getting your own way in the scrums. It would then have been up to Australia to score to win, and that was not a given.

Scotland could have defended against a team trying to make a winning score with a dropped goal or try, but there is no option to defend against a wrongly given kickable penalty!

The reason I take issue with it though was because it sounds like major sour grapes and disingenuous to say they were "robbed" when:
1. Australia still had possession and would have got a scrum (and mate, the were dominating the scrums in the final quarter),
2. Australia had crossed Scotland's try line a total of 6 times already in the game.
3. Scotland's decision making at the end (throwing long in the line out and then kicking long off the kick off) suggested poor management and compusure.

Saying they were robbed implies a nigh on certain victory for the Scots and given the number of times the Wallabies have beaten northern sides in particular at the death of games in the past few years I reckon that's being a tad trite.

The only disgrace is this bias thread and it should be locked down!

The second try scored was from a non knock on by Argentina.

The last try of the game was a forward pass.

So that is 21 point that should not have been!

Now the refereeing of this tournament has been a blight and it has got worse as the tournament has gone on. Rugby refereeing is falling apart at the seams and it is not an acceptable position for teams to be losing games due to poor and incorrect calls.

If people thing this is an acceptable standard then quite simply "they are off their rockers and have not got a value! "

This is not acceptable for fans who pay one heck of a lot of money to sub standard refereeing that costs their teams a place.

Rugby is becoming a joke!

Referees are bring the game into disrepute and World Rugby have got the cheek to say the refereeing standard has been good.

Nigle ownes is the ref at the final and he is the best referee in the world.

HE IS THE BEST OF A POOR BUNCH AND I am sorry about this but it's not good enough, for the fans and the players!!!!!

GET A GRIP - WORLD RUGBY.

I am a fan of the game who is getting disenfranchiesd with:

The standard of refereeing and the Excuses coming from World Rugby to try and cover the inaquacies of the game.

RWC 2015 = an unjust standard for re by fans.

To finish I have not heard so much booing of referees as I have in this tournament and that picture tells a thousand words.

Every try from an interception is offside. Tries interception should be banned from Rugby union.

Latest posts