• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

And the new french captain is...

S

Stillknox

rugbynallet01hs6.jpg

Lionel Nallet
Lock, 31 years old. (from Castres Olympques.)

A true surprise. He did an excellent 6 Nations last year but wasn't even in the 22 squad in the World Cup, Laporte preferring Thion, the old Pelous and Chabal (although he is a Number 8...) to him.

What do you think ?

I thought it would be Elissalde or Jauzion, but i'm happy with it. He's a very good player, underestimated and he's also a good leader (he's already captain for Castres) but I'm not sure if he will be there in 4 years...

i hope so, i prefer him at 8.
i feel like he loses a lot of potential with ball carrying in the tight five. usually he only manages a break after a few phases in the second row.
he's not a bad second row, just i prefer him at 8.
i would have thought thion would have been a shoe in for captain, no doubt someone will be 2 pence the poorer later down the page on either of these points.

If Chabal had played 8 at the world cup, god knows how well they could have gone.

rugbynallet01hs6.jpg

Lionel Nallet
Lock, 31 years old. (from Castres Olympques.)

A true surprise. He did an excellent 6 Nations last year but wasn't even in the 22 squad in the World Cup, Laporte preferring Thion, the old Pelous and Chabal (although he is a Number 8...) to him.

What do you think ?

I thought it would be Elissalde or Jauzion, but i'm happy with it. He's a very good player, underestimated and he's also a good leader (he's already captain for Castres) but I'm not sure if he will be there in 4 years... [/b]

Not a bad choice at all. It sticks with the French tradition really, having an old forward leading the side around like Abdel Benazzi, Fabien Pelous, Raphael Ibanez etc. Actually, I thought Thion would get the role, he lead them when Pelous was suspended in 2005...

Who is this Nallet player? Never heard about him. What about Chabal for new french captain?? :cheers:

Yeah I'm shocked. I was 100% sure it woulda been Ellisalde. I know Nallet is a good player, f*** knows if he's a good leader or not though.

Well I think this is just to mark the change after Laporte's period. Elissade and also Mignoni have predispositions for the mission too.

Can't wait to see the orientation with the new team composition. Don't know exactly the spirit of Marc Lievremont but the presence of Emile N'tamack for the rear makes me hope good things.

Nallet is a good captain in Castres Olympiques. I hope who will be to carry out the equipe for a new six nations win.

Yeah I'm shocked. I was 100% sure it woulda been Ellisalde. I know Nallet is a good player, f*** knows if he's a good leader or not though. [/b]

He's captain of his club the Castres Olympique, he knows the job.

Ellisalde doesn't strike me as captain material, his form can be too hot and cold and is his place even guaranteed for the upcoming Six Nations?

Ellisalde doesn't strike me as captain material, his form can be too hot and cold and is his place even guaranteed for the upcoming Six Nations?
[/b]

Agreed, imo you need a captain with a bit of physical presence. Not the smallest man in the team shouting at you..

Is Ellisalde not spending more and more time warming the bench for Kelliher? Not sure if I'm right here, but hardly captain material if he isnt playing regularly for club. Thats a headache any coach would like to avoid.

Is Ellisalde not spending more and more time warming the bench for Kelliher? Not sure if I'm right here, but hardly captain material if he isnt playing regularly for club. Thats a headache any coach would like to avoid.
[/b]

If that's true, how the hell can Kelleher be preferred over Ellisalde? We all know how crap Byron is, it's a relief for all NZ fans that he's buggered off..... well for me anyway.

[/b]

Well not really. So far the playing time was 50/50 between him and Kelleher but this is changing and he's getting more than Kelleher. For example last week-end during the Leinster - Toulouse game, Kelleher started but he was not at all convincing and he was replaced at half-time. He has no injury. Usually they play at least 60 minutes before being replaced.

I hope Chabal-Mania won't start again.
Vermeulen is much better than him playing #8.
He may be better with media but there's no way he'd be better on the field.

everyone on my damn team is on chabals nuts
the coach even told me if I didnt stop "hating"
I wouldnt play the next game

yeah its true that nallet is already 31 and its not sure that he will play the RWC in 4 years but its a good decision from the french stuff

Latest posts