Andrew Hore retires

nickdnz

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Hurricanes
All Blacks hooker Andrew Hore has confirmed he is retiring from international rugby with immediate effect.

The 83-test veteran made his last appearance in the last-gasp win over Ireland on Monday morning (NZ time) and will now become a farmer.
Hore, who made his debut for the All Blacks in 2002, was without a Super Rugby contract for next year after his contract with the Highlanders wasn't renewed.
"I don't think I'll be playing in the All Black jersey again," he said on arrival back in Auckland from the end of season tour.
"I've had a good run. Hopefully I can get home and make a good fist of my next job which is going to be a farmer.
"I'll do that, hopefully if I do that as well as I've played rugby then I shouldn't be going too bad."
Despite some ups and downs over his time as a rugby player, the former Hurricane said he had no regrets over his career.
"You have your ups and downs and you've just got to flow with them but I think 10 years in the All Blacks makes you a better person by the time you come out the other end."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/9447751/Andrew-Hore-confirms-All-Blacks-retirement

Was mentioned in another thread but probably deserves its own one. Interesting that no franchise wanted him - and I have to wonder if its just age or if teams feel he didn't offer a positive impact (which the Hurricanes seemed to have felt after 2011). I'm also suprised he doesn't seem to be pursuing a move to an overseas club, I know he's into his farming but Toulon would surely give him a very comfortable retirement package. Either way he offered a lot to the All Blacks over 83 tests, his work at the breakdown particularly.

I don't think it's entirely confirmed yet - I wouldn't be suprised to hear a SR team picks him if a hooker gets injured. It doesn't seem much has been made of it either, which is strange (I think partly because there is so much uncertainty around it). What it does mean is the All Blacks need a third hooker and I don't know who it's likely to be. I think I'm one of the few who thinks James Parsons is probably the next best hooker off the rank, but at 27 (28 in a few days) they may be looking for younger hooker in someone like Quentin MacDonald (25), Liam Coltman (23) or Rhys Marshall (21). Hika Elliot is only a few months younger than Parsons but has been in the All Blacks before so may be favoured (but I don't think he's been exception for the All Blacks or ever will be).

He was a good player with a good sense of humour.

A well respected player in my books. And his legendary moustache!!

All the best to him in his future endeavours!

Seemed like an honest guy, I've heard otherwise but no matter good luck to him and his farm.

Good. I hope he retires from rugby altogether.

Ahh im not the only one who thinks parsons is a genuine option. Its confusing as to why coltman and marshall are considered ahead of the likes of parsons, eliot, quentin mcdonald and matu'u. Yes coltman and marshall are younger but the others are by no means to old for ab level

The Bradley Davies incident was part of it, but mainly I cannot abide by people who would shoot and kill protected species.

Good player but I lost a heck of a lot of respect for him after the cowardly cheap shot on Bradley Davies.

its fair enough loosing respect for someone after a cheap shot..which it was...just hope people remember that next time we're talking about Kiwis not liking Cooper

It was a legitimate ruck clean-out.
What the fūck mate?
diapo028661881b81a688fba42c3fc2bc2fab.gif

What the fūck mate?
diapo028661881b81a688fba42c3fc2bc2fab.gif
Aw come on, don't let your Welsh-bias blind you - that was text book.
Through the gate, driving from low to high to drive the opposition guard back off the ball, disrupting Wales chances of quick ball
If you look up "clearing out a ruck" in the IRB Law Book it's got a photo of that.

Through the gate, driving from low to high to drive the opposition guard back off the ball, disrupting Wales chances of quick ball
If you look up "clearing out a ruck" in the IRB Law Book it's got a photo of that.
Is the photo moving? Harry Potter style printing then.

That Bradley Davies is such a thug. Poor old Horey was just attempting to clean out the ruck and that thug Davies goes and headbutts him in the forearm......

Anyways..... It is the end of a very good AB's career for Hore. He was a bit of a late bloomer in many ways - he was 24 when he first made the AB's, but was very much a part time player for 4-5, before establishing himself as a truly world class hooker around 2008 (He was NZ Rugby player of the year then). He was amongst the best hookers in the world when in his early 30's, but age looks to have caught up on him in the last two seasons, and his lack of pace (particularly in defense) has been a growing concern. At his best he was outstanding at the breakdown - he wasn't the quickest to the ball, but once he got over the ball there was no moving him! I think he has retired at about the right time, though personally I would have preferred if he had retired before the end of year tour (so we could have given a young hooker - preferably Coltman - some time in the AB's environment).

The Bradley Davies incident was part of it, but mainly I cannot abide by people who would shoot and kill protected species.

Hell yeah. No respect to this guy whatever he did on the rugby field. He disgusts me on and off the field.

Also note how he still manages a bind onto his own player whilst dodging Davies' cynical lazy running. Davies is lucky not to get a yellow card for that, deliberately impeding Hore joining the ruck cleanly. Good ol' Horey found a way though.

Latest posts