• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Andrew Johns brings new ideas for Sharks

S

Steve-o

http://www.keo.co.za/2009/01/14/joey-brings-new-ideas/
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Australian rugby league legend Andrew Johns thinks he has added “something a bit different†to the Sharks set-up.

Johns, considered to be the best league player ever, represented the Kangaroos at two World Cups and played a total of 21 Tests. He first hooked up with the Sharks last year and had a few sessions with Frans Steyn and Ruan Pienaar. “I was impressed with how much raw talent they possessed,†he recalled. “The sky’s the limit for those guys.â€

Johns told the Sharks website that his time with the team in Durban this month had been productive and enjoyable.

“I didn’t know what to expect coming here because it’s my first time I’ve done an extended visit with a rugby union team, coming from rugby league, but everyone’s been really responsive to my ideas. What I hoped to bring isn’t so much about skill, because they have that already, just some subtleties, something a bit different â€" I suppose my ideas are a bit different.â€

When asked about the differences between the two codes, he said, “The players are a lot different physically, especially over here, there are some giants. But they are really good guys. I can’t sing the praises of the Sharks enough, the way they’ve gone out of their way to make me feel welcome. I’ve had an absolute ball.â€

Sharks coach John Plumtree said Johns’s input had been invaluable and that their relationship could continue for a number of years to come.

“He is very professional and the way he’s prepared training sessions and the way he’s conducted them have been outstanding. It’s been massive for our playmakers … he’s here to help guys like Frans Steyn, Ruan Pienaar, Andries Strauss, Monty Dumond, the playmakers that put ball-runners into space.â€[/b]

"Johns, considered to be the best league player ever"
^ BTW is that statement true?

Anyway, great to have Plummy thinking out of the box fo new ideas. You gotta love those Kiwi coaches. I hope this happens more with our Saffa coaches, but it's good that a bench mark is being set by the Sharks.

It's between Joey Johns and Wally Lewis - but only because Australians completely disregard all European players. Shaun Edwards should really be up there, and probably Jason too, but his time in Union means he's really a cross-code player rather than a League player.

Woah. I was in the bookshop today, and I had a bit of a read of the biography of.. Andrew Johns! And even freakier I was reading the chapter about his potential switch to union.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Jan 14 2009, 05:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
"Johns, considered to be the best league player ever"
^ BTW is that statement true?[/b]

It is. People will say "But he took drugs!" but they don't realise they were recreational and the drugs probably affected his on field performances even more. In his book he talks about the differences of the game and said union 10 years ago was free flowing and great to watch, but nowadays it's too structured and opposition are too much in each others faces.

Is David Campese still living in South Africa and coaching one of the S14 teams?

Yeah he's here with the Sharks coaching. I believe he has married a Saffa and has settled here.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fred187 @ Jan 14 2009, 05:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
It's between Joey Johns and Wally Lewis - but only because Australians completely disregard all European players. Shaun Edwards should really be up there, and probably Jason too, but his time in Union means he's really a cross-code player rather than a League player.[/b]

Of the two I'd edge towards Lewis but Johns is certainly one of the greats.

Ellery Hanley is the best player I've ever seen. Pure magic........

Latest posts