• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Andrew Sheridan

rugbyfan18

Academy Player
Country Flag
UK
Club or Nation
England
Hi Everyone, I am new here so I am sorry If I have posted this in the wrong section- feel free to move it.

I am an English rugby fan and am wondering what has happened to Andrew Sheridan. Has he announced his retirement? His profile is no longer on the Toulon official site although I haven't heard him retiring from club or country duties?

What are your views on him? I have read lots of contrasting opinions- some people rated him as one of the best LH props whilst others only credited him with destroying the weak Australian scrum in 2005 and 2007.

He used to be a pretty good prop so I am wondering if anybody knows what is going on?

Last edited:
I credit him with punching Andries Bekker in the balls 2009 but otherwise being a pretty handy prop. I don't have any knowledge on his current status though.

I believe he's retired, but not announced it for some reason.
There were rumours at the start of the season, but he said he'd not retired. A few weeks later he disappeared off of the Toulon team list, though.

Big Ted's a Sale legend. Not the most technically proficient scrummager but his sheer strength allowed him to dominate a large number of props he came up against.

Good question. I just googled and Toulon was the last club... I reckon he's pretty handy. I remember picking him in Rugby 08 a lot cos he's ****ing strong. Heard he was the strongest man in rugby.

I like how I've just found out he punched someone in the balls lol that's pretty funny.

I'm a fan of his. A very peaceful soul, and a true gentle giant. I've heard many say he's a monster, strength wise, and always accomplished the greatest feats in the gym, bench press etc...Because he's so big physically, he always had that ambiguity in the scrum: for a very tall, very large loosehead to get good position at scrumtime, by the time he'd straighten his back and get that push ready he'd be backpedaling already against the more compact Tightheads, or he'd just go to ground because too voluminous and long physically. But he was a very good scrummager and I've seen him get the best of his opposing Tightheads often.

He got injured at the start of last season for Toulon, after which Chiocci became the no.1 LH for the club. Haven't seen him play since, or seen him sidelined or anything at all. I've seen him still listed in the Toulon roster these days, so I really don't know what they're doing...
Last article about him in the French online media is August 2014, stating he'll have to retire given the last lab tests were 'negative'. So his contract with Toulon is cancelled, they of course brought in Fabien Barcella from Biarritz to replace him.
But it still hasn't actually been done apparently (retirement) !...

Well, he picks up Bekker like a rag doll which is probably no mean feat but I'm not one for punching another man in the jewels..

Last edited by a moderator:
That is pretty impressive, considering Bekker is 121kg and he only used one arm!

Well, he picks up Bekker like a rag doll which is probably no mean feat but I'm not one for punching another man in the jewels..

So you let someone else do the dirty work huh...

Ah that's barely a punch. Little tap in the hope of a reaction, nothing more.

Good egg by accounts, will be missed. Apparently his sister is/was a hottie.

I could see Sheridan as one of those former athletes reconverted into a cameo-making actor..

Did any of you actually think he was world class? I have heard a lot of talk about the media over-hyping him, was this true?

His technique wasn't always great, but not many managed to get the better of him. 6 foot 5 and 120kgs and able to bench 225kgs, almost like a modern Welsh back :D

He wasnt the most technical loose head but had some great success in his career and kept the very overrated Gethin Jenkins out of the Toulon starting 15.

Although he was very strong it didnt stop Julian White decking him with one punch....:D

He wasnt the most technical loose head but had some great success in his career and kept the very overrated Gethin Jenkins out of the Toulon starting 15.

Although he was very strong it didnt stop Julian White decking him with one punch....:D

Lol

just to keep this alive, only vid I've got of him in my channel:

Lineups in descripzionne. Sorry, in the *description.

so this is it apparently for the gentle giant (or gentile gent, whichever you like least/hate the most):

10671447_10152758580712174_2065258068127977219_n.jpg

Retirementee offizialle. One of the best Andrews to ever play the game.

Great player. Seemed to be a fan favourite everywhere he played, he certainly was when he played for us.

Latest posts